Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hello i just recently bought a palm pre on craigslist and it turned out to have a bad esn number. want to know if there is any way i could be able to use it it turns on fine and everything but will not let me sign in it catches signal sometimes but the ev signal never comes on. lmk if theres anything i could do it would suck to spend all that money on a phone that i cant use. anything would be appreciated thanx
    As far as using it for cellular communications your basically hockey pucked.

That said with the help of this bad boy you should be able to wipe the phone to "out of box" state and skip the activation. That way at least you can use it as a PDA.

Lesson for future...always ask the seller for the ESN and check it with the carrier before you purchase anything.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    You can use it as WiFi only by using MetaDoctor. Sell it to a developer that wants to do that for a dev phone. Or donate it to the fine folks at WebOSInternals to use for the same.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    great advice ryleyinstl, but an even better step is to meet the seller at a Sprint/VZW/AT&T store so that the device's ESN can be checked right there. If it works, the seller gets the moola, if it doesn't you get to walk away knowing you saved yourself a bunch of headaches.
    If the seller isn't willing to meet at a carrier store, then don't bother your time. More than likely they have a bad ESN. Also watch out for people who initially give you a good ESN but the phone you actually get has a bad ESN. If that makes sense.
    And pay via PayPal. That way you can escalate your case and get your money back.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    And pay via PayPal. That way you can escalate your case and get your money back.
    Ummm who pays via paypal when using craigslist?
    basically... ask for the ESN of the phone.

I just got jerked on craigslist... but it turned out to be a good thing.. I bought a iPhone 3GS i asked for ESN so i can check with ATT and he wouldn't give it to me said all sorts of "if you don't trust me" sorta stuff... So i meet up with him i looked on the back of the phone and said this isn't even a 3gs!! it doesn't say it on the back! and from the way his hands were shaking no doubt it was stolen.. so i told him sorry man i don't want it it's prob stolen.. he was kinda ****ed.. i said i'll take it for $80 cuz it's useless and stolen... HE TOOK IT!! LoL i jailbroke and unlocked running iOS4 and now i'm going to put a 32gig 3GS unlocked phone on ebay lol prob can get $300+ for it.

Granted it worked out this time... but i'll never do it again.

If they don't give ESN... DON"T BUY IT! or just assume it's stolen from a crack head.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    You can use it as WiFi only by using MetaDoctor. Sell it to a developer that wants to do that for a dev phone. Or donate it to the fine folks at WebOSInternals to use for the same.
    Heard that PreBackup guy is lookin tooo...
    That stinks, man... I hope you plastered the guys email address all over the most disturbing - and illegal - message boards and emails lists you could find.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    basically... ask for the ESN of the phone.

I just got jerked on craigslist... but it turned out to be a good thing.. I bought a iPhone 3GS i asked for ESN so i can check with ATT and he wouldn't give it to me said all sorts of "if you don't trust me" sorta stuff... So i meet up with him i looked on the back of the phone and said this isn't even a 3gs!! it doesn't say it on the back! and from the way his hands were shaking no doubt it was stolen.. so i told him sorry man i don't want it it's prob stolen.. he was kinda ****ed.. i said i'll take it for $80 cuz it's useless and stolen... HE TOOK IT!! LoL i jailbroke and unlocked running iOS4 and now i'm going to put a 32gig 3GS unlocked phone on ebay lol prob can get $300+ for it.

Granted it worked out this time... but i'll never do it again.

If they don't give ESN... DON"T BUY IT! or just assume it's stolen from a crack head.
    Hmmm, I think purchasing know, or assumed to be, stolen property and then reselling it would be considered criminal. I think you would be called a "fence".

I would be VERY careful re-selling that, if it gets traced back to you, guess who goes to jail? You.
    What exactly is an "ESN" ?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I dont know why ,but people are buying Pres with bad ESN on Ebay for $60-$150.
    Just describe it honestly so its not returned to you .
    Then buy a good one on Ebay where your purchase is protected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Hmmm, I think purchasing know, or assumed to be, stolen property and then reselling it would be considered criminal. I think you would be called a "fence".

I would be VERY careful re-selling that, if it gets traced back to you, guess who goes to jail? You.

I found out it had a 'flagged' ESN AFTER i bought it... Doesn't justify it... but just like the guy above i thought it was legit, and my feelings of doubt were magnified after i spoke with ATT. I bought it so i can unlock it and take it on a European vacation when i get back i'll sell it or sell it over there... worse case i'll sell it there before i leave. This happens all day on craigslist and to be honest... the cops realy don't care about a person that can't be tracked that sold you a stolen cell phone... I've already asked, and it's truly a waste of their time when as the officer told me he has calls of wives getting beaten with metal pipes.. and children sexually assaulted crack heads trying to spit on them, Chasing down people with guns... and i agree with him 100% My Life lesson has been learned...
    Last edited by antonio3; 06/30/2010 at 11:28 AM.
    Antonio3, that is true BUT, especially for craigslist, the rule is buyer-beware. If the deal seems too-good-to-be-true (TGTBT), then it probably is. Did the guy want cash?
    Quote Originally Posted by evilduckster View Post
    Antonio3, that is true BUT, especially for craigslist, the rule is buyer-beware. If the deal seems too-good-to-be-true (TGTBT), then it probably is. Did the guy want cash?
    Of Course cash LoL... like i said.. life lesson learned. I just wanted to let the origional poster he's not the only one thats been scammed... I'm just lucky it's an iPhone that i can unlock to other carriers... And there won't be a next time for me
    Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    Ummm who pays via paypal when using craigslist?
    I do. Only. Ever. If they know you are carrying cash...
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I do. Only. Ever. If they know you are carrying cash...
    They'll screw you for all you've got.
    (wait, I'll go get a guitar)
  19.    #19  
    so i cant like restore it or any thing unlock it nothing well thanks for all the help yo i guess ill look for another one but this time ill make sure it has a clean esn unless some one finds a way lmk thanks
    you can have it flashed and use it on MetroPCS or Cricket or a similar type companies. it will run $25 for a basic flash or if you find some one good it will run $50 or so and you will be able to use their internet access as well. if not you will have to use wi-fi for internet
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast