Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    What's up guys? Had the Verizon Pre+ for about 2 weeks now, and I absolutely cannot put it down for the life of me lol. Aside from a brief stint with a BB Storm 1, and the 2 days I owned the BB Bold 9650 before I returned it, this would be my first real smartphone. So far, I love this phone. However, I have a few questions that I'm sure you guys have answered a gazillion times already.

1) In regards to battery life, are there any patches/apps I could use in order to get a little more life out of the battery? In an 8 hour day at work with minimal to average usage, I go all the way down to 30 percent or less. I've read the tips for improving battery life article but I performed all the steps before I even started using the phone, so that's pretty crazy to think the battery life would be even worse.

2) I'm interested in overclocking my device, but before I do, what is a fairly safe speed to have it set at and what do I need to keep an eye out for so I font fry it? Temp? Glitching?

3) I pretty much grabbed all the apps I think I would use, but are there any must have patches I should be running? I have several, but they are mainly top-bar and text message stuff oh and virtual keyboard. I didnt want to get too much into the patches until I got some advice. A lot of them seem similar so I wasn't sure what would work with what.

Thanks in advance guys!
    1) no further tipps from me. Just wait on until the webOS UI gets gpu-powered, this should save massive amounts of battery live. Other than that, look at 2)

2) 800MHz is a good choice for now. Running it on my Pre some 3-4 months now - no problems, no need to keep an eye on anything but slightly longer battery live (really).

3) I use mainly the battery percentage patch, the email landscape patch, the meta-tap in browser patch and the add more launcher pages. These are the important ones for me.

Have fun!
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    If you followed all the known tips for battery life then that's pretty much it. The battery is not that great so investing in a TouchStone or two is a wise move for convenient topping off.
    Patches for the most part are for your choice and not really necessary. Knowing that, I have chosen to use over 60 patches.
    If they are pretty simular they might not be compatible. Just read what each one does and choose what you think you would like best. If you get an error than there's a good chance one you have installed is butting heads with it. Not a big deal as it's not ruining anything.
    Apps as well are for what you like, for example there are a bunch of Twitter apps, try out free versions and read reviews.
    BTW, I've had my Pre for over a year and that 'cant put it down feeling' is still
    a reality for me. (thanks to homebrew and Devs)
    Welcome!!! And glad you've joined the party.

1) The tips are great, but you should go ahead and invest in an extended battery. I have the Mugen 1400 and it adds a bit of a boost to get you through the day. But if you really want power, get the Seido 2600 battery. It makes the phone a little thicker, but the trade off is worth it. With regular use, you don't have to worry at all about battery life ever again.

And yes, when the major update happens later this year, we should all experience a boost in battery life, but until then, extra batteries are the way to go.

2) I've been rocking the original 800 ipk, and love it. There is a slight battery hit, but less than I expected, and this is offset by my using a larger capacity battery. And again, in the fall, Palm has promised a major speed up of WebOS, so these may, and I stress may, be merely short term solutions.

3) I LOVE the extra pages Patch, and the 4x4 icons patch, and there's a patch that allows you to move an app to a different page by simply clicking on it and choosing a page. Can't remember what it's called. Oh and I have the patch that gets rid of the wave bar in the launcher but keeps it when out of the launcher. That's just off the top of my head.

It's funny, I've had the phone for a year now too, and yes, there are things that could be waay better (battery life, for one) I just really like the polish the OS has. Just two days ago, I was in a meeting, and I had to give someone contact information on a client. I type in the name, swipe down, send contact, done. If I need to go from one program to another, I set the phone to swipe between applications. Android phones are great phones, and really flashy, but for my day to day work, I just really love WebOS, and now that they're with HP, I'm really looking forward to the future.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Unless you are in the field all day every day, get 3 touchstones, 1 for home, 1 for office and 1 for car. This way your phone is never low on juice when you need it.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it! Been rockin out at 800mhz all day and so far so good. Fast, crisp, and Im pretty sure my battery life lasted a wee bit longer after quite a bit of usage... wierd. Do you guys use the 800/500? or straight 800?

With regards to touchstones, would I have to remove my hard case back every time I use it? I assume so but the case I use fits super tight and it would be a pain to keep removing and installing it.
    You would be replacing the standard back cover with the Touchstone cover. It is slightly more grippy and matte but otherwise the same. I like it much better than the standard back.
    Quote Originally Posted by LHKJohn View Post
    With regards to touchstones, would I have to remove my hard case back every time I use it? I assume so but the case I use fits super tight and it would be a pain to keep removing and installing it.
    Probably, yes. There is at least one case on the market that specifically says that it's compatible with the Touchstone (I believe you can get it on the PreCentral store), but otherwise, most are not compatible. A lot of people go with a skin instead of a case for this reason. My Pre is naked, but I do keep it in the Palm side case when I'm not using it. I do have an unexplained and rather significant scratch on my screen, so I recommend a screen protector of some sort.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I just leave my Touchstone back cover on all the time. Is your Touchstone back cover loose? If so, return it and get a new one. It should fit as snugly as the standard cover.
    My Touchstone back has been on the phone and naked (no case) since I got the phone 9 months ago. It still looks brand new.
    1. Set the brightness down to 9-10%. Its very much usable at that brightness, and I've seen my phone last atleast 3-4 hours more because of that (versus setting it at 30%)

2. Don't use for data over encrypted Wifi networks - that eats up battery pretty quick, open networks is not a problem

3. Use Govnah with the 800/125 Mhz 'screenstate' settings
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    As far as the battery life, it really depends on what you use the phone for as turning off the data will save your battery life greatly. Also using WiFi instead of EV-DO if you have it will extend battery life.

The Touchstone back cover is much much better than the standard back. I don't see how people live with the standard one.

Glad your enjoying the phone.
    use the grt cases, available on vzw.com, att, or the company's website.
    it comes with two color choices and two back covers,one that is cut out for touchstones and one that is not.
    it adds minor bulk to the phone, but improves the slider mechanish, banishes the wobble of the slider or oreo effect, and makes the keyboard feel bigger. The chrome casing adds a classy look to the phone.
    I've been running the 1ghz F105 Kernel and seem to be getting the best battery life that I've ever had. This goes for stock speed, Superkernel and Uberkernel.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    I just leave my Touchstone back cover on all the time. Is your Touchstone back cover loose? If so, return it and get a new one. It should fit as snugly as the standard cover.
    Naw, I have the Rocketfish snap on hard case installed over my phone.
    jbg7474 answered my question about it, I guess the case I have isn't compatible with touchstones, so I would either have to keep swapping it, or get one that is compatible. Im a phone-dropping kinda guy, so leaving it naked would be pretty dangerous for me haha. I think I'm just gonna go with a bigger battery. As much as I love this phone, the battery life is KILLING me!