1.    #1  
    Sorry guys just got tired of searching (or not searching thoroughly enough) I thought that by going into my contacts that I sync from gmail, that if I went in to edit them slightly from how they are in my gmail account, and then went back into gmail to delete that contact (just from my gmail only, not from phone) that the phone would equate that as a contact created from scratch, because it doesnt match with the gmail contact info and not delete it from my phone. I switched phones with an in-law (former lg chocolate touch owner, now a pre owner)(still learnin the ropes here) how does the phone know the difference between a from scratch contact addition and altering a contact that I added through gmail. There are certain contacts that I just dont want to keep on my gmail account, just on the phone. Any advice is appeciated. Oh, sorry about the run on sentences and sorry I didnt stop by the new user welcome area (if you have one) I must say that I think it's amazing the amount of work folks have done on this board to create software to advance this phone this far, I done think you will see that as strongly as you see it here. thanks and keep it up....prewis73 aka run-on sentence king.
    gmail and the phone perform a two way sync so if you delete if from your gmail account unless you have saved the contact on your phone to your pre profile (not recommended) or an exchange account it will delete it from your phone. You can copy and edit the contact to make it appear new to gmail. It you want contacts only on your phone and not on your gmail you will need to add them to your Pre Profile.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    gmail and the phone perform a two way sync so if you delete if from your gmail account unless you have saved the contact on your phone to your pre profile (not recommended) or an exchange account it will delete it from your phone. You can copy and edit the contact to make it appear new to gmail. It you want contacts only on your phone and not on your gmail you will need to add them to your Pre Profile.
    Thanks, still stuck in the "dumbphone" mode of doing things. Some of us who jumped to the smartphone realm and now have this other 45% of new stuff and features / capabilities dont quite get why things are set-up the way they are. many thanks.
    If you want to save it on your phone, but not in the Google account, put it in your Palm Profile.

When you create a new user, you'll see an icon to the right of the user name. Hit that, and select the Palm Profile.

Another option would be to create anothe Google account, and keep those contacts in there.