Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. rleibo's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
       #1  
    Is there a way to operate the Pre without a battery directly from AC power, to avoid the constant battery draining problems?

    Why don't manufacturers build this in to all cell phones?
  2. #2  
    Um..well I had my phone charging and took out the battery and it stayed on.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  3. #3  
    It stayed on indefinitely? I've read that if you're quick you can swap batteries while it's plugged on and not have it turn off, but that if the battery it out for more than a second, it shuts off.
  4. #4  
    It was for a few seconds, because I was like wait what....and then I put the battery back in.

    I mean I don't think it's like a good idea to do it but uh...your choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  5. #5  
    I do this sometimes when changing batteries (to charge them or to put in a freshly charged one when I don't have time to charge the dead one, etc.). If you are quick and your power source is fairly high current (stock Palm charger), you can quickly swap batteries and the Pre will instantly recognize the charge state of the battery you insert.

    I've even done it w/ Jabra usb chargers (500mA current). Try to do it quickly b/c if you wait too long your phone dies and then you have to wait for it to reboot (and it's not a clean shut down/reboot). Also, it's best to minimize any power consuming activities (make sure screen is off, etc.). I bet airplane mode helps.
  6. #6  
    When you keep the button on the top right, pressed it gives you a couple of options, including Power. When you select Power it gives you the options to either 'restart' 'shutdown/swap battery'. What is that for?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by rleibo View Post
    Is there a way to operate the Pre without a battery directly from AC power, to avoid the constant battery draining problems?

    Why don't manufacturers build this in to all cell phones?
    Because the user base who would be interested in doing this is TINY. The Palm Pre, as cool as it is, is not a laptop.

    As far as whether or not this can be done, it seems like something that could be tested pretty easily. Let me check.....

    .....(5 minutes later) Yup. Appears to work just fine. Plug it in, remove the battery, enjoy. I did notice that my touch screen seemed less responsive, but I've been noticing that while charging lately anyway, and I have an alpha level custom kernel installed, so that's probably just me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    When you keep the button on the top right, pressed it gives you a couple of options, including Power. When you select Power it gives you the options to either 'restart' 'shutdown/swap battery'. What is that for?
    As designed, with a readily accessible hardware switch to turn off the ringer and unusually high levels of internet connectivity, WebOS phones aren't really intended to be turned off. It says "shutdown/swap battery" because the assumption of the people who designed is that they only reason you'd ever power the thing completely off would be to shut it down and swap the battery.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions