1.    #1  
    hi everyone, i tried to update Uber-kernel a few moment ago but my Pre was frozen while the update just started. The phone then became super hot, and then rebooted. After rebooting I noticed that the Uber Kernel Icon vanished from launcher and while I tried to start Preware again to remove the Uber-kernel, it said a fatal error occurred and is unable to locate tarball. Is anyone here could shed some lights on how I could either repair the existing Uber-Kernel, or remove it completely...

Many thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by birdlun View Post
    hi everyone, i tried to update Uber-kernel a few moment ago but my Pre was frozen while the update just started. The phone then became super hot, and then rebooted. After rebooting I noticed that the Uber Kernel Icon vanished from launcher and while I tried to start Preware again to remove the Uber-kernel, it said a fatal error occurred and is unable to locate tarball. Is anyone here could shed some lights on how I could either repair the existing Uber-Kernel, or remove it completely...

Many thanks!
    Your post is unclear whether Preware is giving you the error or removing UK is giving you the error.

If Preware is working, then launch it and install the Palm Recovery Kernel and reboot (per the instructions). Then if you wish you can re-install the updated UK.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Your post is unclear whether Preware is giving you the error or removing UK is giving you the error.

If Preware is working, then launch it and install the Palm Recovery Kernel and reboot (per the instructions). Then if you wish you can re-install the updated UK.
    It was Preware giving me the error msg while i tried to update/remove UK. I've just installed Palm recovery kernel from Preware, but then after a reboot nothing has changed - I still receive the same error msg from preware while trying to update/remove UK...
    I'm having the exact same problem -- fatal error..tarball. I posted the problem in the Uberkernel thread:

I updated to the latest Uberkernel then found that Govnah won't allow me to set anything besides the Palm Default. When attempting to remove Uberkernel, I get the following message in the IPKG Log: "FAILED -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptoffs/apps/bin/sh/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.uber-kernel-pre.prerm 2>&1
    Kernel confirmed to be compatible with webOS version
    Fatal error occurred, unable to locate tarball"

I recall that when I was installing Uberkernel, I briefly minimized the card while closing out other apps. It seemed to stall when it was saving the old kernel, but later it said that it was successfully installed though the screen continuously showed the rotating arrows.

I tried running the recovery kernel, and it installed, but Uberkernel is still there and detected as an installed package by Preware. Also, the icon for it remains in the Launcher.

Please help. Pre still works, just no option to do much with Govnah. I'd like to reinstall Uberkernel, but I currently don't seem to have that option.
    Figured it out. I installed the recovery kernel then I had to delete the Uberkernel app from the app list. This allowed me to then download Uberkernel from Preware and reinstall it.

I did NOT have to doctor my phone! To delete the app from the list there are multiple ways. One is to go to Device Info then More Info then Software and then find Uberkernel and tap on it to find the option to delete. You can also use the preferences menu in Launcher and use the orange key and the app icon I believe.
    Last edited by doctorzeph; 06/29/2010 at 02:27 PM.
    It was Preware giving me the error msg while i tried to update/remove UK. I've just installed Palm recovery kernel from Preware, but then after a reboot nothing has changed - I still receive the same error msg from preware while trying to update/remove UK...
    Have you had a previous OC kernel on your phone?
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorzeph View Post
    Figured it out. I installed the recovery kernel then I had to delete the Uberkernel app from the app list. This allowed me to then download Uberkernel from Preware and reinstall it.

I did NOT have to doctor my phone! To delete the app from the list there are multiple ways. One is to go to Device Info then More Info then Software and then find Uberkernel and tap on it to find the option to delete. You can also use the preferences menu in Launcher and use the orange key and the app icon I believe.
    Thanks for replying and happy for you that u found the way out. But for my case I do not have the UK recorded from Device Info -> More Info and as I said, the icon of UK in launcher has vanished, but Preware remembers I've installed UK before and only allows me to either update/remove, but both failed with the "missing tarball" error....

I also tried using webosquickinstall to remove the UK before installing the recovery kernel but same tarball error received. Perhaps I should try it again as of now I should have installed the recovery kernel!?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    Have you had a previous OC kernel on your phone?
    No UK is the only kernel I've ever installed with my Pre...
    No UK is the only kernel I've ever installed with my Pre...
    Ok, then you might be able to fix it with this: http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ty-v2-1-a.html
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    Ok, then you might be able to fix it with this:
    Thanks vza33, but have just tried with the tool and restore some files, but no luck. UK icon is still unseen from launcher and i receive the same error while i tried to update/remove UK from Preware.

The exact error msg:
    line 1 [-1: unable to run command: ipkg_offline_root=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernel.uber-kernel-pre.prerm 2>&1]

line 2 [media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernel.uber-kernel-pre.prerm: line 22: can't cd to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.kernel.uber-kernel-pre/additional_files]

line 3 [kernel confirmed to be compatible with this webOS version]

line 4 [fatal error occurred, unable to locate tarball]
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    . . . line 4 [fatal error occurred, unable to locate tarball]
    Sadly, it's on the Gulf coast
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
    Sadly, it's on the Gulf coast
    Sorry but I'm no native Eng speaker, I don't quite get what you mean.....could you clarify?
    Thanks vza33, but have just tried with the tool and restore some files, but no luck. UK icon is still unseen from launcher and i receive the same error while i tried to update/remove UK from Preware.

The exact error msg:
    line 1 [-1: unable to run command: ipkg_offline_root=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernel.uber-kernel-pre.prerm 2>&1]

line 2 [media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernel.uber-kernel-pre.prerm: line 22: can't cd to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.kernel.uber-kernel-pre/additional_files]

line 3 [kernel confirmed to be compatible with this webOS version]

line 4 [fatal error occurred, unable to locate tarball]
    1) Install the recovery Palm kernel.

2) Restart Preware, and Update Feeds

3) Install UberKernel

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Sorry but I'm no native Eng speaker, I don't quite get what you mean.....could you clarify?
    tarball = oil spill
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    1) Install the recovery Palm kernel.

2) Restart Preware, and Update Feeds

3) Install UberKernel

-- Rod
    Thanks. Tried and same error persisted...
  16.    #16  
    Thanks. Tried and same error persisted...
    Does it mean that I need to Doctor the phone in order to get UK back?

My phone is one of those from Spain unlocked by IMEI code, will I need to unlock it again after I Doctor it?

Kindly advise, experts...
    Had similar problem, unable to install UberKernel. Tried installing the Recovery Pre Kernel via Preware. All feeds had been updated. After install, I was prompted to restart device. Received the www.palm.com/ROM screen (bricked).