Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    hello,

i tried the kernels, noticed a speed up, but I dont like the idea of voiding my warranty so I uninstalled uberkernal and govnah via preware.

to be safe I reinstalled the stock kernel from preware.

Is there a way to confirm that my phone is indeed stock?

Sorry if this is repeated, tried searching but did not find it.

thanks webos internals team, you and the 'brewers make the phone!
    Well, technically, when you installed the kernels, you voided your warranty. Supposedly, your Pre sends info to palm, including the kernel/speed. Anyhow, you could install Govnah and see that it is running at the default speed, 500. However, if you installed the stock kernel from Preware, you should be back to default.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    i thought it voided the warranty if something goes wrong? thanks for the help, it was on for less then 12 hours so it should be fine, ill try the govnah thing and see what Im at.

Thanks for the quick response
    The most reliable way to be back to the default kernel (namely the Palm kernel) without running webOS Doctor is to re-install it via Preware. That way, you're not depending on whatever backup files you had on your Pre, and whatever the prior kernel you had installed, in order to be back to stock. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    If it bother you that much.. then do a webos doc on the device,and you'll be back to stock. Have a nice day.

To check what mhz you are running... In webosqi click unto tools then Linux Commanline and type in cat /proc/cpuinfo and press enter. Make sure there is a space after cat.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    thanks folks, it was pretty cool being sped up, maybe will come back to it one day!
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Well, technically, when you installed the kernels, you voided your warranty. Supposedly, your Pre sends info to palm, including the kernel/speed. Anyhow, you could install Govnah and see that it is running at the default speed, 500. However, if you installed the stock kernel from Preware, you should be back to default.
    I am not certain that any homebrew or patching definitively voids the warranty, on its actual language. I think, instead, that customization *may* entitled the warranty provider to refuse to service the device, if it causes the damage.

A PDF of the warranty is here. It would be interesting to consider whether, given that Palm provided an authorized method (i.e. developer's mode) to modify the device, *and* given Palm's explicit praise of webos-internals, any particular patch could be argued to be "authorized." Still, handing a clean Pre to repair folks if possible is always a good idea. Don't give them an excuse to refuse to provide the service to which you are entitled. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Tweaking and patching utilizing the DEV mode is expected and encouraged. That is why Palm provides the DEV mode and the WebOS Dr.

The warranty issue comes into play IF you have smoked your device as a result of OC. If however you are OC'd and have some other hardware issue that is unrelated to the potential risks of OC, they should honor your warranty just fine.

If a given store does not honor a warranty because of launcher pages etc. then take a it to another store.

My Pre has been replaced four or five times now for various hardware issues and all but the first one were heavily patched and tweaked. The Sprint store I use has never had an issue with it. In fact the rep is the one who told me about Precentral after the first replacement.