1.    #1  
    howdy folks,

I got my first pre back on June 7th, and have had the same one up until today. I loved that first phone. It had some issues - loose battery causing restarts being the biggest - but I never had the oreo effect, dead pixels, or anything else. The few software problems I ran into I was able to cure by reading this website (stuck in headset mode being the most annoying). However, I finally got tired of jamming a piece of paper into my battery compartment to prevent the phone from resetting when it lost battery contacts. In addition, I several keys became unresponsive, the ring switcher didn't work well so that it would rapidly alternate between silent/normal modes, and I got static in the beginning of my calls.

Went to Sprint last Friday, described my issues, and they replaced my Pre today. No haggling, no problems. I did a lot of modding when it was just WebOS Internals and command line coding, so it was nice to have a completely new OS. While the phone is likely a refurb, it looks excellent and has no issues that I can tell so far. The worst part is having lost all of my SMS convo's. The best part (besides the virgin OS prime for patches ) was that the guy at the Sprint store gave me a new battery and let me keep my old one! I thought a new phone would come with a new battery, which apparently is false. I complained that my main issue was a mismatch between the battery and its compartment. He couldn't tell me if it was a problem in the tolerances of the battery or the compartment, so he just gave me a new battery.

My biggest worry was losing data with the switch if my palm profile disappeared as has happened to some. For anyone out there who is thinking of replacing their pre, I had no issues. I backed my phone up with the PalmDatabase.db3 and copied the usb drive contents. Then, it took me about 4 hours to reload everything and reinstall everything, but it worked just about perfectly.

One more piece of news - installed Govnah and UberKernel today. Previously used a static 600 MHz patch, but the Govnah program is awesome! Running at 720 now, but will likely kick it up to 800 later this week if 720 works out. Not sure if I would try the 1 GHz that just came out...that just seems crazy to me!

later,

jmartino2011
    My Patches
    -Change Number of Bookmarks.patch
    -Change Carrier String and Color of Carrier String and Date/Time.patch
    -Increase Top Bar Font Size.patch

If you appreciate the work or comments somebody has done, then use the thanks button to let them know!

"Freedom isn't free"
    good for ya and yes 1ghz i think is stupid to try lol
    oh but it is so fast and smooth! Once you go 1ghz you won't look back.
  4.    #4  
    mamouton, what temp does your pre run at with the 1ghz kernel?
    My Patches

If you appreciate the work or comments somebody has done, then use the thanks button to let them know!

"Freedom isn't free"
    Mine is currently at 27c with Mobile HotSpot running, not on the charger. But I do have a fan blowing directly onto it (since I'm running MHS), and the room I'm in is about 73f. Dropped to 25c with the screen off (500mhz).
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Cool!
    I had my Pre swapped out about a month ago. No fuss, no muss. I was given an "extra" battery too.
    Sprint is doing their part to keep us as customers.
    (Of course the guy did ask me about any interest I have in the EVO...)
  7.    #7  
    some jerk off sales rep asked me if I wanted to "upgrade" to an EVO, and I told him I would when it came with a physical keyboard, the best homebrew community ever for a technical device, the blistering update pace Palm has managed, and wasn't being pandered by slackjaw f@ggots at sprint stores...ok, well, everything except that last part...i think his carefully manicured and gelled spiky hair wilted a little as he walked away
    My Patches

"Freedom isn't free"
    Quote Originally Posted by jmartino2011 View Post
    I think his carefully manicured and gelled spiky hair wilted a little as he walked away
    I've had dozens of cellphone salesmen that look exactly like that... overly gelled hair, meterosexual look... scary.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scarflash View Post
    I've had dozens of cellphone salesmen that look exactly like that... overly gelled hair, meterosexual look... scary.
    I thought that was a standard look for all the high school vampire teenagers these days.

jmartino2011, glad to hear you had a good experience. Unfortunately, my phone has taken exactly 2 hard tumbles and I have 2 screen cracks to prove it. My only hope is my upgrade and/or the screen holding out till the next WebOS device.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wpavlik2 View Post
    Cool!
    I had my Pre swapped out about a month ago. No fuss, no muss. I was given an "extra" battery too.
    Sprint is doing their part to keep us as customers.
    (Of course the guy did ask me about any interest I have in the EVO...)
    are you still within your 30 days?

I'm interested to hear how people are getting new phones, as I have a documented oreo hardware problem on my phone (both palm and sprint) that I am "seeing if it gets worse"
  11.    #11  
    news to update...my new phone (new, replacement, unsure?) had a bad phone speaker. noticed that when I talked on the phone, the sound was exceedingly quiet, but every other sound worked great, including the speakerphone speaker. took it back to sprint today, they took 30 min to look at it, and then told me they'd have a replacement in two days...pretty damn good service, imho
    My Patches

"Freedom isn't free"
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    did you go to a repair center or like an actual store? my sprent stores wouldnt be that helpful
    This is good to hear. Ironically I stopped by my Sprint Store today, (not a repair center, just a store) to find out what I would need to do to have my Pre replaced. I've had it for a year now, and it's been a great phone, but in the last week I started going through my second bout with the stuck in headset problem.

Since no salespeople were available I decided to look at the EVO, I gotta say, love the size of the screen, but I'll wait for the Slate :-) Anyways, guy came up to see what I needed and I told him, he went over and punched my phone number into the system, asked if I had my Pre with me, I pulled it out, and without him even looking at it he just said "You'll get your new Pre in the mail tomorrow, is that okay?"

I gotta say, Sprint has never let me down. I'm not sure if it's because I'm a Premier Customer (I sometimes wonder if every Sprint customer is), but Sprint has always fixed things to my liking. Even when I was super drunk and called tech support at 3 am and demanded that they use family locator to find my phone even though I had never activated the service, they managed to turn it on and tell me my phone was in my garage....I still feel sorry for that Sprint Employee.

Anyways, I look forward to getting a new Pre. I don't anticipate any problem with data transfer from the old to the new as yesterday I did a full erase and then restored it. The only data I lost was the stuff I didn't backup. Thank you WebOS.

Hans
  14.    #14  
    i don't have a repair center near me, so I went to a sprint store...to be honest, i wouldn't take the time to go to a repair center. i don't have the time anymore to wait on stuff. I used it until it became basically unusuable, and then asked them to give me a new one. Of course, I paid the $7 all along for device protection.

haha, Hans, that's a great story. At the same time that I feel sorry for your Sprint employee, just think about him sitting around drinking a beer with his buddies and saying "Let me tell you about this crazy freakin phone call I got one night..."
    My Patches

"Freedom isn't free"