Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    So my Bell Palm Pre is finally ready for a repair/replacement. Up until this point I have been able to get by with relatively easy DIY fixes - the piece of paper to prop the battery so the screen doesn't shut off when you close the pre, blowing into the headset jack to bring the stuck-in-headset-mode pre out of headset mode, but unfortunately the latter method doesn't work very often anymore. I'm currently in the process of secure full erasing then doctoring my pre to bring to Bell tomorrow (of course after removing the compcache uNiXPSyCHO (or whatever caps variation it is) amazing kernel etc etc.

Has anyone had any recent or otherwise experience with taking their pre into Bell? Do they give a loaner pre that you can sign in your profile with, or at least a reasonable alternative smartphone? Also any idea how long it will take to repair/replace? If it's replaced will they cover the cost of re-ghost armoring it?
    Instead of blowing try continously re-inserting the plug...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Instead of blowing try continously re-inserting the plug...
    This isn't really the question I was asking. Anyways, re-inserting it works sometimes, but mostly doesn't. Obviously that'd be the first thing to try - blowing into the headset is a secondary measure that has proven to be more successful in recovering normal-phone use mode (as opposed to headset mode). I just went on a camping trip this weekend and had to try blowing into the headset jack and inserting the plug continuously about 30 times, and usually it didn't work. Clearly an unacceptable hardware defect that I need Palm to fix...
    For Bell specific questions I suggest you head over to HowardForums and ask there in the Bell forums, there's not too many Canadians around here. You'll probably get better answers there, some members there are Bell reps.

Bell Mobility
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    My Sprint Palm Pre was stuck in headset mode for a bit. I just a headset and plugged it in and out slowly until it registered that I disconnected the headset. It took a couple of tries.
    Quote Originally Posted by staeit View Post
    So my Bell Palm Pre is finally ready for a repair/replacement. Up until this point I have been able to get by with relatively easy DIY fixes - the piece of paper to prop the battery so the screen doesn't shut off when you close the pre, blowing into the headset jack to bring the stuck-in-headset-mode pre out of headset mode, but unfortunately the latter method doesn't work very often anymore. I'm currently in the process of secure full erasing then doctoring my pre to bring to Bell tomorrow (of course after removing the compcache uNiXPSyCHO (or whatever caps variation it is) amazing kernel etc etc.

Has anyone had any recent or otherwise experience with taking their pre into Bell? Do they give a loaner pre that you can sign in your profile with, or at least a reasonable alternative smartphone? Also any idea how long it will take to repair/replace? If it's replaced will they cover the cost of re-ghost armoring it?

Like yourself, I had a problem with my pre getting stuck in headset mode. Also like yourself, I am on bell.

The first thing I did was try to leverage this known issue to get a new phone, especially after hearing how easy it was for Sprint customers to get replacements. Unfortunately, the Bell repair system is awful.

1) No you don't get a loaner pre. You can pay to get a loaner smart phone, or pay to get a loaner dumbphone.

2) It will take between 4-6 weeks to fix

3) You have to leave a deposit in case no fault is found or the problem isn't a warranty issue.

4) You have to pay a flat rate for the repair center to even look at it.

After the Bell rep told me this, I decided to fix the headset issue myself with a Q-tip. It really is completely unacceptable, second-rate customer service. And Bell wonders why they got such a bad reputation.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    I knew it Bell was bad, but not THIS bad. Flat rate to look at a warranty issue? Give me a break.

Take it back and get another one... i had a launch day pre that was perfect for 7+ months till the headset issue came up. In 2 months time now i'm on Pre number FOUR!! The refurbs aren't the best quality... One a screw fell out and locked the phone in the up position... one the spacebar was stuck in the down position.. another the screen was 'rainbowed' like someone pressed to hard on it...

When you get a replacement... don't leave till it's synced up. Check that it opens and closes PERFECTLY!!... check all the keys.. and look closely at the screen and look at the screen as you open and close it.

Great OS.....

My Sprint store replaced it no questions asked... they physically saw the tiny screw and just nodded.

Why not call Palm?
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Why not call Palm?
    Palm Canada doesn't deal with anything with the Pre. It must go through Bell. Palm only has a small regional office just west of Toronto, that's it.

Hope things will get better once Palm gets integrated into HP.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 06/29/2010 at 09:06 AM.

My Palm Pre Plus got stuck in headset mode and considering how much I love this phone, I was extremely upset. After some research on the internet I found that this seems to happen to quite a few Palm Pre users and as you sure can guess, everybody had a different solution to offer.

I can tell you that I have tried every solution I found. From plugging the headset in and out, over compressed air, resetting the phone, switching between mute and speaker, interactive audio test and the "not so recommended" cleaning with rubbing alcohol. Well, needless to say, none of these solutions yielded the wanted result and I was ready to go to the store and try to sucker them into giving me a new phone.

Then I found an article which explained that the Palm notices that the headset is plugged in due to a contact being made (mechanically for a lack of better terms). Reading that article sparked an idea: If the mechanism is stuck (due to dust and / or dirt) the phone will think that the headset is still plugged in even though it is not. as it is with all mechanical things, if something is getting stuck in the "gears" you have to remove it .

I tried the toothpick solution and that did not work so I thought to myself: How much worth can it get? Let's try a radical "scraper" method.

Before I explain what I did I just want to let you know that you should do this using EXTREME caution! There obviously is no guarantee this works but it did for me and if you do this, you'll do it at your own risk understanding that you can damage your phone permanently!

I used a little wire (like floral wire or a twist tie) and bent the very end into a tiny hook. Then I turned my phone off (do not do this with your phone on!!) and carefully scraped along the metal contacts. I tried to hit between the metal contact and the plastic casing as there is a little gap. I scraped a few times and noticed some dust and lint being stuck to the hook. I did this a few time on each side cleaning the hook with every scrape, turned my phone back on and (hooray!) it worked just fine. 2 days later it happened again and cleaned it again with a tiny hook and it worked right away. It has not happened since, but if it does, I know what I will do.

I know that this sounds quite like a quite radical solution but it made complete sense to me that it worked after I was done! I do STRONGLY resommend that you try plugging the headset in and out first as this seems to clean the contacts in most cases. (Yet again, "mechanical" . )

Now I am a happy Palm user again!

Good luck!