Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    [resolved]
    Last edited by Kujila; 06/28/2010 at 05:42 PM.
    I dont know how they are doing it but 1ghz is just asking to cook your pre lol
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Wow, sounds like yours is having issues. Mine happily switches between 1GHz and 500MHz, and idles (screenstate governor, so at 500MHz) in the mid-20s degrees Celsius. I've never, ever, seen it over 50. Do you know anything about Linux? If so (or if not, too), use novaterm to connect to the phone over USB and run the "top" command. See if there is any one process using lots of CPU time. With no cards open, the system should be 90%+ idle most of the time. If you see anything strange, a WebOS Doctor visit may help.
    Quote Originally Posted by gitit20 View Post
    Not true. It actually keeps mine cool.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I had my Pre + overclocked at 800/500 screenstate setting; and last week I took it out of my pocket and it wouldn't turn on. It was really hot and what I had to do was take out the battery and just let it cool for a few minutes. Still don't know why it did that happened when I've overclocked it before with the same settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by gitit20 View Post
    I've had mine going at 1ghz with the f105 kernel the past couple of days and have had no problems with my temperature. That's even with a game and the browser running.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujila View Post
    [resolved]

Kujila,

It would be nice if you put what your resolution was for posterity. Who knows who else will run into the same exact problem that you have and now, all they will know is that you resolved your issue....

(Even if it was something dumb that you did, at least it may let someone else know what the dumb thing they did was. )
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Well, running Dungeon Hunter for over an hour at 1GHz will get me up to 41 degrees, but all things considered, that isn't bad.
    There really is some variance between chips in Pres - running Dungeon Hunter for an hour at stock speed will run me hotter; when I played it at 800MHz once, I was at 60 within twenty minutes or so.

Guess some people get lucky and some don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    Mine happily switches between 1GHz and 500MHz, and idles (screenstate governor, so at 500MHz) in the mid-20s degrees Celsius. I've never, ever, seen it over 50.
    My launch day Pre has never been that cool even with NO OVERCLOCKING. Running at the stock 500MHz fixed speed, mine idles (no cards open) between 37C and 39C.

To show off that I could, I changed to the screenstate governor at 1GHz and let a co-worker play a game (N.O.V.A.). The temp was only 47C when he gave me back the phone after a few minutes of play.

I wonder if this heat/battery use is caused by radio problems? I did see several people with these early Pres say the were defective after Sprint tested the radio.
    Last edited by chodaboy; 06/29/2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Thought of something to add
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Kujila,

It would be nice if you put what your resolution was for posterity. Who knows who else will run into the same exact problem that you have and now, all they will know is that you resolved your issue....

(Even if it was something dumb that you did, at least it may let someone else know what the dumb thing they did was. )

Sorry about that - didn't realize it permanently made my post a linkable URL, and I couldn't delete my post.

See pic for OP.

It was because it was on the charger, I believe. Although Sprint Navigation + 1GHZ + Web = Crash today. Last temp check was a blazing 52. During normal daily use, however, it idles at 41-43, which I considered acceptable. The Seidio 1350mah battery is pretty good.
    Attached Images Attached Images