webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Pre Charging while off
Pre Charging while off

Old 06/28/2010, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Is there no sign of the pre charging (through wall outlet) while it's turned off? When the pre is completely dead, it atleast shows a battery and a lightning bolt. Any experiencing this as well?
xMatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2010, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

In my experience you can't charge the device while it's turned off - as soon as you plug the power in (if you have a healthy battery with the minimum safe charge) then it will turn the phone on automatically.

If you're plugging it in to charge and *nothing* is happening - either your battery is unhealthy (consider a new one) or there may be something wrong with your charging cable and/or power source.
errade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2010, 02:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

you are correct that if i turn off the device and plug it in, it will turn back on. But when i plug it in and then turn it off, is it charging? it doesn't turn itself back on by plugging in first... then powering off. But it is weird that when the battery in completely drained, as soon as i plug it in, the battery with a lightning bolt appears.
Old 06/28/2010, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ah, I see what you mean. It is a bit confusing how it doesn't appear to charge if you turn it off while it's charging.

I always took the 'red battery with lightening bolt' icon to mean that the battery is too low to turn the device on at all - although I know what you mean now, I can't actually answer your question - you'd have to test it - get a half-full battery, switch the phone on, plug the phone in and then turn the phone off... then turn it on half an hour later and see if the battery has charged
errade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2010, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

In my experience it'll charge but not fully. Don't know why.
short bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2010, 03:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

i have had mine charging for 35 minutes while turned off, and can't really tell if the bar went up all at. For my next test, i will look at the "device info" battery percent before charging and after charging.
Old 12/30/2012, 01:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am also interested in this. I have a spare Pre2 that I use to keep a second battery charged-- would much prefer to have it powered off while charging...
webosinjun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2013, 10:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMatter View Post
Is there no sign of the pre charging (through wall outlet) while it's turned off? When the pre is completely dead, it atleast shows a battery and a lightning bolt. Any experiencing this as well?
if you have the charger connected, then power down using the power off/airplane mode menu, then no, there is no charging indicator. no light flashing, no screen displayed.

but it is charging. and the phone never fully powers down. that's why when you unplug it, then plug it back in, it wakes the phone. there's always a power monitor running as long as there's a batt in the phone.

i'm pretty sure the plug/question mark icon and the batt icon with red low level bar, both represent battery charge states. one is less than 1% and the other is less than 10%. the phone won't boot up until the batt is above 10%. *(10 may be 5. i can't remember right now, but i was dealing with this while trying to calibrate batteries with the DR. Battery app. you have to run them down to zero, then have only a few seconds to start the calibration cycle. if you don't do it fast enough, the phone powers off, and it won't restart until you charge it back up to a certain point. I think upon wake up, the batt percentage was back up to 10, but it may have been 5. i just can't remember; useless brain!)

Last edited by TJs11thPre; 01/04/2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: dang it. i'm answering questions from 2 yrs ago.
TJs11thPre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2013, 10:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Exactly what I wanted to know, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
if you have the charger connected, then power down using the power off/airplane mode menu, then no, there is no charging indicator. no light flashing, no screen displayed.

but it is charging. and the phone never fully powers down. that's why when you unplug it, then plug it back in, it wakes the phone. there's always a power monitor running as long as there's a batt in the phone.

i'm pretty sure the plug/question mark icon and the batt icon with red low level bar, both represent battery charge states. one is less than 1% and the other is less than 10%. the phone won't boot up until the batt is above 10%. *(10 may be 5. i can't remember right now, but i was dealing with this while trying to calibrate batteries with the DR. Battery app. you have to run them down to zero, then have only a few seconds to start the calibration cycle. if you don't do it fast enough, the phone powers off, and it won't restart until you charge it back up to a certain point. I think upon wake up, the batt percentage was back up to 10, but it may have been 5. i just can't remember; useless brain!)
webosinjun is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0