Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Hi everyone. I searched and could not find anything regarding my problem.I want to use a unlocked pre with usa tmobile. I have an activated sim but when I try to login to my palm profile I get this:

We were not able to sign you in.
    contact palm for help resolving this problem......

I have an option to try AGAIN or go into phone setting. I went to phone settings and it asked for the APN. It tried epc.tmobile.com and also left the username and password empty. But I still cannot login in.

Any help, PLEASE?
    I don't believe you can use T-Mobile because you can't have data? But I'm no genius.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Finally got it, thanks for your reply!
    Last edited by thepre1; 06/28/2010 at 11:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by thepre1 View Post
    Finally got it, thanks for your reply!
    How did you finally 'get it'?
    And where did you get your unlocked Pre?

I have email response from a couple European vendors, and I hear stories of unlock codes, but I'm still unclear on which way to go with this.

I've posted elsewhere with few details in response.

I'm now ready to migrate my old Treo650 T-mobile SIM card, but have no more time to screw around with configurations.

Thanks!

Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Greg, are you sure you want a EU model? Wouldn't an AT&T Pre get you 3G, whereas a European wouldn't. (sorry don't know much about freqs)
    There's a German guy on the forum, who can get you an unlocked QWERTZ I believe. His name is rot.
    Because initial searches for unlocked GSM's came up with European suppliers, and there's a possibility that I may be working in Europe for a while...

Is AT&T still the only 'real' 3G, or is Sprint (and eventually T-Mobile) also going 'true' 3G.

Greg
    AT&T = GSM
    Sprint = CDMA.
    What do you want?
    Like I said - GSM.
    T-Mobile in US and 'whoever' in Europe.

Greg
    I guess you'd be better of with AT&T right, since that would get you 3G in the US. The EU gsm would only get you G since it uses other freqs.
    T-Mobile USA uses a different set of frequencies for 3G (900/2100) than AT&T (NA standard 850/1900). Additionally, T-Mobile's 3G frequencies are different than the EU standard 3G frequencies.
    No matter which way you cut the pie, the bottom line is there's no Pre made that will get you 3G speeds on T-Mobile USA.

Now that is straightened out, the question of which device to buy depends on other personal factors such as cost, and when you do decide to replace it which one will garner the highest resale.

Cost wise, I believe there's no match for the contract free AT&T Pre Plus purchased online from AT&T directly or by walking into any AT&T retail store. It will set you back $399 locked to AT&T.

Then you have two choices for unlocking, NextGen or other 3rd party unlock vendors ($40) or finding a friend who's already got an AT&T smartphone data plan and had it for more than 6 months to call customer service and explain they received an AT&T Palm Pre Plus as a gift and travel quite a lot in Europe. Then have them ask for the unlock code. Most (but not all) who've tried this method have had success. (Cost Zero $$)

Highest resale value - If selling in the USA, an unlocked AT&T device will get you more than an EU device, and visa versa if selling in the EU.

Hope this helped.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    T-Mobile USA uses a different set of frequencies for 3G (900/2100) than AT&T (NA standard 850/1900). Additionally, T-Mobile's 3G frequencies are different than the EU standard 3G frequencies.
    No matter which way you cut the pie, the bottom line is there's no Pre made that will get you 3G speeds on T-Mobile USA.

Now that is straightened out, the question of which device to buy depends on other personal factors such as cost, and when you do decide to replace it which one will garner the highest resale.

Cost wise, I believe there's no match for the contract free AT&T Pre Plus purchased online from AT&T directly or by walking into any AT&T retail store. It will set you back $399 locked to AT&T.

Then you have two choices for unlocking, NextGen or other 3rd party unlock vendors ($40) or finding a friend who's already got an AT&T smartphone data plan and had it for more than 6 months to call customer service and explain they received an AT&T Palm Pre Plus as a gift and travel quite a lot in Europe. Then have them ask for the unlock code. Most (but not all) who've tried this method have had success. (Cost Zero $$)

Highest resale value - If selling in the USA, an unlocked AT&T device will get you more than an EU device, and visa versa if selling in the EU.

Hope this helped.
    I understand all this, and I understand the use of different frequencies and 3G chips throughout the world (I work in the industry). However, I was thinking there was frequency overlap in the (lame IMO) 3G frequencies when dealing with i.e. O2/Euro vs. T-Mobile.

I look forward to the mess that 4G will produce as it takes hold. I was working on the development Wimax/LTE chipsets over 3 years ago, and the industry is just now trying to sort out THAT mess (largely political and FCC wrangling).

Anyways, thanks for the headsup. Didn't want to switch to ATT, but I guess it's coming down to that. T-Mobile has been good for me over the years.

Greg

p.s. is the ATT Pre a SIM card, or chip?
    Guys, regarding 3G availability on the US Pres, can anyone look at the following... is this new news?

The Palm Pre Plus is designed to work on the 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE and 850/1900/2100 MHz UMTS/HSDPA networks.

Answer Center | AT&T
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Also, My T-Mobile Nexus One worked with 3G bands in Europe. In Switzerland as well as Italy.
    Last edited by rashad1; 07/12/2010 at 11:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    Also, My T-Mobile Nexus One worked with 3G bands in Europe. In Switzerland as well as Italy.
    Yes, interesting.

So, it comes down to so-called 3G (it's actually 2 1/2 G IMO) chipsets in the Pres, and the frequency overlap actually working or not in Europe vs. the US.

Too bad the US is so far behind the curve with re: to 3G and 4G development.

Greg
    AT&T = GSM
    Sprint = CDMA.
    What do you want?
    Actually Sprint does offer a SIM card to install in GSM Pre's so a Sprint user can have service in Europe. It is $15 and your family and friends call your normal service number just like they would if you were in the U.S.

I travel to Europe for work and my next trip is one month long and I can't do without my phone for that long, so I called Sprint international services and that is what they said. They did stress that they will not guarantee all services will work but the basic services do.

So I will be buying a GSM Pre very soon. I saw some going on ebay for $75-$80 this weekend. If anyone has one they would like to sell either new or gently used feel free to PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Actually Sprint does offer a SIM card to install in GSM Pre's so a Sprint user can have service in Europe. It is $15 and your family and friends call your normal service number just like they would if you were in the U.S.
    I used to be on Sprint years ago, but switched to T-Mobile because of the GSM SIM-card situation, since I wanted a Treo, and the Sprint Treo's didn't have SIM cards.

So, I'm back to either going to stick with TM, or switch to ATT.
    The other option of course is to just not get a Pre at all, but instead get one of the new T-Mobile phones that run on their HDSP+.
    Either way I go, I don't foresee being able to get all the main apps I use now everyday.

Greg
    Do you know what model that was, because that does sound a bit too cheap if you ask me? Were those AT&T gsms or European models?

Over here in Europe, German QWERTZ Pre models (unlocked) are the cheapest 'regular' option, and they tend to go for at least 150 Ä (last time I checked). Another even cheaper option would be the (locked) French AZERTY Pre Plus but most people just can't get used to the keyboard layout.
    No, I don't know for sure. I just saw it was GSM (and looked at many they had listed). The listings were on an Ebay store out of Addison, Texas that sells used phones. The store has like 50k plus ratings and is 98% positive.

They had them categorized by a four star rating with regard to wear. The moderate wear (3 stars) have normal wear around the edges and back of device. Those are the ones that were/are selling for those prices.

Although I wouldn't mind finding a new AT&T Pre Plus for a decent price. I picked up a new in the box Sprint Pre for $175.
    I saw some going on ebay for $75-$80 this weekend.
    Hmmm, I've been buying and selling Pre's, Treo's and a variety of other phones/devices on eBay for several years and I personally haven't seen any functional GSM Pre's go for that low a price unless they're really trashed, with trashed meaning been run over by a mack truck, or dropped into the toilet,then plugged into an AC charger while still wet.

Fact: A new LCD/digitizer assembly for a Pre costs between $69 - $99 USD, and if it's a Pre + then the LCD/digitizer goes for $135 USD.

Yes, I've seen some still functional, but pretty beat up Sprint Palm Pre's sell on eBay for $80 - $100 ea, however a carrier locked and working (functional) GSM Pre (EU or NA, doesn't matter) will set ya back at least $200. Add another $100 or so if its an unlocked Pre.

If you find any GSM Pre's for $80 on eBay, feel free to share the information (auction #) with your fellow PreCentral.net forum members in here.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.

Hope this helped.
    I have been an AT&T customer for six years and had all my phones unlocked to use overseas. I called AT&T and they refused giving me an unlock code. After a special submission, I received an email refusal. I don't even want to use it on another network. I want to use it overseas and STAY on AT&T.
    Michael J. Barnes
    Associate Professor
    Wayne State University

Visor >> VisorPhone >> Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650>> Centro >> Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by siriusbliss View Post
    is the ATT Pre a SIM card, or chip?
    AT&T Palm Pre Plus is a GSM device, therefore, it uses a SIM card.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffyen View Post
    Guys, regarding 3G availability on the US Pres, can anyone look at the following... is this new news?

The Palm Pre Plus is designed to work on the 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE and 850/1900/2100 MHz UMTS/HSDPA networks.

Answer Center | AT&T
    Here ya go. Hope this clarifies:

Reference:
    Palm Support : Understanding network bands and frequencies for a GSM/UMTS phone

Understanding network bands and frequencies for a GSM/UMTS phone - Palm Support - Article ID: 65931

Understanding network bands and frequencies for a GSM/UMTS phone
    The network bands and frequencies available for your webOS phone are listed below.

Region ....................................... 2G frequencies ......................... 3G frequencies
    North America (US/CAN) ............. 850/900/1800/1900 GSM ................. 850/1900/2100 UMTS
    South America (LAT) .................. 850/900/1800/1900 GSM ................. 850/900/2100 UMTS
    Asia-Pacific .......................................... 1900/1800 GSM ................. 850/900/2100 UMTS
    Europe .................... 850/900/1800 /1900 (degraded) GSM ................. 900/2100 UMTS

Europe uses 900/2100 UMTS for 3G data, North America uses 850/1900/2100 UMTS for 3G data.

Specifications for the Palm Pre device: Quad-Band GSM/Edge and Dual Band UTMS 3G

Furthermore, disassembly of both the EU Pre and the Telcel Mexico Palm Pre uncovered TWO different communication boards.
    The EU Palm Pre contains a board marked "EU" whilst the Telcel Mexico Palm Pre contains a board marked "NA".

TTB
    The Dual Band GSM "NA" communication board found in the Telcel Palm Pre and the AT&T Palm Pre Plus is designed specifically to use the 850 and 1900 3G UTMS frequencies. Since T-Mobile USA does not use those two specific frequencies for 3G UTMS data, there's no Palm Pre or Pixi device manufactured which will offer 3G Data on T-Mobile USA's network, even if the device has been carrier unlocked.

Who know's if that will change in the future. If HP and T-Mobile USA happen to ink an agreement, then we'll see devices with comm boards supporting T-Mobile USA's 3G frequencies.
    Thanks for the concise, detailed information!

I haven't had time lately to try to track all this info. down.

My engineer friends that I've worked with in the past (mostly in Wimax chipset development) are hinting at new chipsets being designed for 'future carriers', which could be anywhere in the world based on who owns or leases '4G' spectrum and builds in the chips.

It's up in the air where/how T-Mobile will move forward, since I'm not even sure TM will survive this next development cycle.

HP/Palm can go any direction they want in order to theoretically compete with the Android/iphone crowd, while also hopefully building in 4G capability.

Strange thing is that three YEARS ago in the lab, we were Skyping each other between buildings.

Thanks again,

Greg

I travel to Europe for work and my next trip is one month long and I can't do without my phone for that long, so I called Sprint international services and that is what they said. They did stress that they will not guarantee all services will work but the basic services do.

So I will be buying a GSM Pre very soon. I saw some going on ebay for $75-$80 this weekend. If anyone has one they would like to sell either new or gently used feel free to PM me.
    Did you end up getting a Sprint SIM card? I recently got an Pre+ AT&T to go with my Sprint PRE.

Also since it would be running on an AT&T phone does it need to be unlocked?
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    Did you end up getting a Sprint SIM card? I recently got an Pre+ AT&T to go with my Sprint PRE.

Also since it would be running on an AT&T phone does it need to be unlocked?
    Yes, An AT&T Pre Plus will need to be unlocked before a Sprint or any other carrier SIM card will work in it..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast