Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Actually a very inspired idea. I wonder if you will ever encounter that over-zealous transit worker who questions the authenticity of your account since they don't see an actual card. Great job with this!

I don't do FB so I can't view the pics, but love the concept!
    Awesomeness
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I don't do FB so I can't view the pics, but love the concept!
    I just added the shots to a Pre Central album, and posted the link to my original post:
    forums.precentral.net/album.php?albumid=262
    Quote Originally Posted by zcharat View Post
    I just added the shots to a Pre Central album, and posted the link to my original post:
    forums.precentral.net/album.php?albumid=262
    Very cool! I took a look and it's a really great job. I see that in your pic you are just holding up the back cover to the sensor... have you done it with the phone on and running? You should also try it while you are on a call and see if it works without having to hang up first, or it dropping the call on you.

Great job!
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I see that in your pic you are just holding up the back cover to the sensor... have you done it with the phone on and running? You should also try it while you are on a call and see if it works without having to hang up first, or it dropping the call on you.
    I removed the cover only so I could take a picture of it working with my Pre's camera It does work fine with the phone attached, though only when the Pre's back is facing the sensor.

Tonight on my way home from work I'll find out if
    1) This setup works with the onboard card readers on the bus and not just the reload stations downtown, and
    2) If the scan affects ongoing calls
    You do know that that RFID tag uses the same type of technology to power its self as the touch stone does so when your phone is on the touch stone its has that little chip powered up all the time lol i doubt its strong enough to interfere with anything but maybe overtime will cause it to ware out or something because its consistently transmitting I do love the idea though that's great back when i lived in japan i use to use my cell to pay for all kinds of stuff its a cool thing..
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    I wonder if I could do the same with my Cruise Card here in Atlanta, for the toll booths on the freeway? Hmmm.. I could have the phone mounted in the vent-mount dashboard holder and still cruise through.. Hmmm..
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zcharat View Post
    Tonight on my way home from work I'll find out if
    1) This setup works with the onboard card readers on the bus and not just the reload stations downtown, and
    2) If the scan affects ongoing calls
    1) Success! The bus driver didn't even give me a dirty look. The chip also read my transfer and charged it properly.
    2) I was on the phone as I waved my phone in front of the scanner. There was no difference in the call quality on my end or the other end.
    Awesome! That's really cool I'd be tackling this project tonight if I had an RFID card for train passes and stuff. Our Metra system just uses paper monthly passes yet...

Great job
    I have a card to gain access to the corporate office. Do this card have the same technology so I can open it and put it on my phone.
    Awesome! That's really cool I'd be tackling this project tonight if I had an RFID card for train passes and stuff. Our Metra system just uses paper monthly passes yet...

Great job
    It wouldn't work on Metra, but you could still probably do the same thing with a Chicago Card/Chicago Card Plus for CTA and PACE:

Chicago Card Plus
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVINCIBZ View Post
    I have a card to gain access to the corporate office. Do this card have the same technology so I can open it and put it on my phone.
    Theoretically you could. Unfortunately most RFID cards are not as easy to access as simply "popping it open", you basically have to destroy the card to get to the chip, which I presume is company property...
    I will give you a full bag of Sugru, if you think it would help with this project. You can choose from the bags of 12x5g sachets that I have if you come down to Belltown and get it. PM me for more info. Also I want to get some tips to maybe do this to my MS Orca card.
    Ha ha ha ha, I had to look up Sugru to see if it was something illegal. Who knows these days?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by rwinn View Post
    It wouldn't work on Metra, but you could still probably do the same thing with a Chicago Card/Chicago Card Plus for CTA and PACE:

Chicago Card Plus
    I commute from the burbs and my office is a half block from Union Station... so I don't use one of those cards (and didn't know they existed). I'd be trying this if I did use one though!

zcharat... congrats on making the front page of P|C today!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/29/2010 at 03:44 PM.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Wow, awesome! I also live in the Seattle area and was thinking of getting an ORCA card, and this makes it even more likely that I will (especially once the 520 bridge goes toll). I have a few questions for you:

1. How do you properly dispose of pure acetone? Down the drain seems a little suspect if it can melt credit cards.
    2. Have you had the light rail cops check it yet? I noticed that their devices are of the "slide the card in the back" variety, so how would that work here? Or do you just always get a light rail ticket? I travel on the rail to the airport quite frequently, so this one is kind of a big deal for me.
    3. Out of curiosity, do you think this would work with multiple RFID chips? I don't really see why not, but I don't know.
    did it.

Bad thing, my chip seems to have been fixed by glue to the antenna. So the chip and the antenna separated within the aceton-bath too...

I am now trying to pair the chip with the antenna again...no idea, if I messed it up. I don'
    t know how it was paired because I only saw it after it separated...
    Makes 10eur deposit for a new card in the worst case....but that's worth it.

Will report back if I still get it to work...
    Quote Originally Posted by gitit20 View Post
    You do know that that RFID tag uses the same type of technology to power its self as the touch stone does so when your phone is on the touch stone its has that little chip powered up all the time lol i doubt its strong enough to interfere with anything but maybe overtime will cause it to ware out or something because its consistently transmitting I do love the idea though that's great back when i lived in japan i use to use my cell to pay for all kinds of stuff its a cool thing..
    The magnetic field used to inductively charge through the touchstone is probably at a lower frequency (electric toothbrushes use 60 kHz) used by the tag which is probably 125 kHz, so it won't be able to power up the chip. However, if it does use a similar frequency, it would only be on while charging and I doubt it would shorten the life of the chip.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercko View Post

3. Out of curiosity, do you think this would work with multiple RFID chips? I don't really see why not, but I don't know.
    Not with these types of tags. They use short range inductive coupling (same as the touchstone) which is usually designed for one chip at a time. If you had two different tags in the field at the same time, they would interfere with each other and neither would work.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercko View Post
    Wow, awesome! I also live in the Seattle area and was thinking of getting an ORCA card, and this makes it even more likely that I will (especially once the 520 bridge goes toll). I have a few questions for you:

1. How do you properly dispose of pure acetone? Down the drain seems a little suspect if it can melt credit cards.
    2. Have you had the light rail cops check it yet? I noticed that their devices are of the "slide the card in the back" variety, so how would that work here? Or do you just always get a light rail ticket? I travel on the rail to the airport quite frequently, so this one is kind of a big deal for me.
    Yeah that 520 bridge toll is gonna be rough... definitely not looking forward to that either.
    1) Acetone evaporates very quickly, I just left the bowl of it outside for a few hours after pouring back most of it back into the can. When working with it, try to do it in a well-ventilated area, and use metal tweezers to do most of the work. It will melt any polyurethane gloves you wear, and while it isn't terrible for your skin (its the main ingredient in nail-polish remover, after all) the pure stuff can make open wounds burn quite a bit, and I'm speaking from experience here. Its also highly flammable, so no smoking, lol.

2) I have no idea about light rail. I thought the cops had a scanner like the the ones on the buses, which you just tapped. I might have to do another experiment and buy a paper ticket first, try my phone with the cops, and then show them the paper ticket if they look like they mean business. I do still have my cards ID number...

3) What HighLife said, though there is really not any room left in the touchstone back to add another chip anyway.
    Very cool stuff! Hope you get the chip and antenna fixed properly!

Wish I had a decent transportation system here in LA, but it just plain sucks, so it's in the car for me everywhere. Also there's multiple bus systems that don't use the same cards, which would make this project pretty much pointless/impossible for me
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast