Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am having a recurring issue of random extreme slowdowns on my Pre and think I need to doctor. I have been dreading it and the process of reinstalling/restoring. I have Preware and a number of patches and the usual assortment of apps. I have Save/Restore and the Pre backup utility.

Who can put my mind at ease that it will all be ok, let me know what I will get back easily and will need to rebuild and just kind of walk me through it?

Thanks!
    you will be fine.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
    I am having a recurring issue of random extreme slowdowns on my Pre and think I need to doctor. I have been dreading it and the process of reinstalling/restoring. I have Preware and a number of patches and the usual assortment of apps. I have Save/Restore and the Pre backup utility.

Who can put my mind at ease that it will all be ok, let me know what I will get back easily and will need to rebuild and just kind of walk me through it?

Thanks!
    use pre backup utility from preware first, then doctor, then restore and everything is like the way it was but better. just did mine and it worked like a charm :-)
    There's nothing to fear. It's like using the restore option on an iPhone.
    there is nothing to fear, but fear itself. if i can do it, you can...trust me
    When you doctor your phone how does it get all my saved data from the cloud? Is it my phone number or the phones ID that allows me to pull it all back down?
  7.    #7  
    so if I use the Backup utility everything will go back to the way it was? Messaging, linked profiles, Classic, etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by jurkz View Post
    When you doctor your phone how does it get all my saved data from the cloud? Is it my phone number or the phones ID that allows me to pull it all back down?
    Your Palm Profile. Your phone ID will be necessary for some of your software to restore, but that software actually reads the phone and can tell when it's been changed.
    all of your palm profile data syncs when you log into your palm profile account,then your app cat apps will re-download. Your best bet is to let it do it's thing until it's done. Then re-install preware and start your restore of all your homebrew and patches.
    I have doctored a few times and it's always so much of a relief because it's back to perfect and you can re-customize.

one way that I tried was after the doctor finishes installing, be sure to install preware with webOS Quick Install. This way when your phone reboots after logging into your palm profile, if you go into your app list from the catalogue, then pause all downloads, then reboot. Then go into preware, install the unthrottle dl mgr, and govnah and your kernel of choice. This way, your app cat downloads are downloaded and installed as quickly as possible.

I have doctored a few times and have no problem doing it anytime as needed, the freshness is always worth it.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    When I reset using Doctor all my WiFi passcodes went away so I had to re-establish connections everyplace I'd been (and used WiFi), and my ringtone reset to default.

If you're going to wind up re-loading a lot of stuff, or even a little, try to get your WiFi going right away (unless you have an unlimited data plan).
    Quote Originally Posted by hugh_h View Post
    When I reset using Doctor all my WiFi passcodes went away so I had to re-establish connections everyplace I'd been (and used WiFi), and my ringtone reset to default.

If you're going to wind up re-loading a lot of stuff, or even a little, try to get your WiFi going right away (unless you have an unlimited data plan).
    hugh_h has a very good point. As long as you're doctoring. I'd suggest that you re-install Preware and Pre Backup Utility, add all of your codes for mail, wi-fi, etc. Then do a clean backup and export it to your desktop. After that, add the patches and customized stuff that you like on your phone and export that to your desktop. Now you have two clean backups to get you back to factory standards w/o the need to re-enter your data when you add something new that doesn't play nice with your device. Anyway, have fun.
  12.    #12  
    Can someone please confirm that if I use the Pre Backup utility that I downloaded that everything (messaging, Classic, apps, etc) will go back to the way they were before doctoring?
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Can someone please confirm that if I use the Pre Backup utility that I downloaded that everything (messaging, Classic, apps, etc) will go back to the way they were before doctoring?
    I can confirm it will restore, messages and app settings. I just did it this last weekend. Note though it requires a restart to finish the restore.

apps I just restored using my palm profile. And my email address to restore my contacts.
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    The biggest thing that has kept me away from doing this is that I have some apps that were free during early PreWare days but now have been promoted to the official App Catalog and aren't free anymore - like MyQ for Netflix. How am I going to get that stuff back without having to pay for all of it?

Thanks!
    I don't think this poor guy's question has been answered yet!! I still want to doctor my Pre again.. The first time I did it, I didn't have the backup utility app. Now I do and read the instructions for that App and have the backup file on my computer. Now, i just need to manually do the Palm backup (even though it does it everyday, or so it says) just to be safe.

After Doctoring, first thing is to sign into your profile and all of your contacts along with Memos and ringtones and Contact pictures and some other things will be put back onto your Pre.

After you do this, I believe the next step is to get Preware up and running along with the Backup Utility App. Open the App and restore your info by following the instructions in the app. Just remember where your backup file path is located from when you did that part prior to Doctoring. Now I haven't done this yet, but from what I've read, this is the way to restore everything.

Please geniuses out there, correct me if I'm wrong.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    The biggest thing that has kept me away from doing this is that I have some apps that were free during early PreWare days but now have been promoted to the official App Catalog and aren't free anymore - like MyQ for Netflix. How am I going to get that stuff back without having to pay for all of it?
    well, on the upside, Apps are 50% off (assuming you are in US) so it won't be as expensive. Besides it helps support developers of apps you presumably liked since you want them back. And happy devs make more apps and recruit more devs, and webOS as a whole grows. So buy 'em for the good of the community!
    Quote Originally Posted by Franklin D. Roosevelt
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.
    That's What's Up

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bjs188 View Post
    well, on the upside, Apps are 50% off (assuming you are in US) so it won't be as expensive. Besides it helps support developers of apps you presumably liked since you want them back. And happy devs make more apps and recruit more devs, and webOS as a whole grows. So buy 'em for the good of the community!
    Honestly, those are great points. Thanx!
    Excuse me in advance for my stupidity, but is there a "step by step" guide to doctoring your phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by sherryterry1 View Post
    Excuse me in advance for my stupidity, but is there a "step by step" guide to doctoring your phone?
    Yess! I've read a fair amount about doctoring, and everybody seems to have a little bit different way of doing it - add a step here or there, do this, don't do that. Is there something laid out so even stupid people can understand (and won't feel like we're killing our firstborn)? Thanks!

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast