1.    #1  
    I just activated my Verizon PrePlus on Thursday. I'm very concerned about how fast the battery is draining. As a new user of Precentral, I see that battery life is a problem on this phone. I have followed the tips, have almost everything turned off (GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, I manually update email, don't leave apps open). With what I'd call moderate use ... a few short calls, checking my email maybe once an hour, looking at the app store for 20 min...my battery went from 100% at 8 this morning to 40% now at 4pm. Not sure it'll last the evening. Not much good to have a phone that does so much if you're fearful of draining the battery so you don't have a phone when you need it.

My question is: how do you determine if the problem is the battery or the phone? I might have gotten a lemon.
    People in here have posted that after a week or two of use, the battery life increases.
    Have you updated your webOS to the latest version?
    the reality is that as a new user you are working that phone extra hard - its so much fun. I have a 2600mah 3rd party battery. That's the best option in my book. Odds are that it heavy use. The phone and battery are pro ably fine.
    well, you check email once an hour, from 8 to 4pm, battery goes from 100 to 40%, thats 7.5%/hr, absolutely normal. Actively data transfer is absolutely biggest battery drain on any smartphone.

try check email every 2 or three hours tomorrow.

I always have 3 extra batteries in my pocket, I have yet to use them during the day, just a safety measure. Its cheap anyway ($8.5/ea on ebay).

I usually set my two main email acc to check every 6 hrs, others every day. My battery goes from 6am to 10 pm, from full to 20%. Granted, I have passed the honeymoon period and I don't use it every minutes of the day now.
    Last edited by clevin; 06/26/2010 at 03:44 PM.
    Hate to break it to you Frank but welcome to the wonderful world of next gen smart phones. If you've just come from a Blackberry, than yes, it's a bit of a shock, but not unusual. You can get better battery life by getting a larger charge battery. Mugen makes a 1400 battery and Seido makes a 1350 battery. I have the Mugen and I can get through the day until 8 pm before I hit 20%. Most days. And yes you should get one.

And if you are in a low signal area, or if you want to truly rock your pre for two days without a charge, you'll need the 2600 battery. It makes your phone a bit bigger, but you seriously don't have to think about battery life again.

I would say the same thing to you if you bought the Evo. The Evo chews up battery like smarties when everything is turned up full and you use it all day. There's no point in getting the latest Android phone if you can't turn on at least some of the bells and whistles.

Next gen phones kill batteries. The Pre isn't the best, but it's not the worst either.

There is also a great article here on Precentral about battery life.

The Fall update and the next WebOS phone will have better battery life, but until then, battery life is the trade off for the smaller size and the best multitasking and amazing cloud connectivity.

Oh, and don't forget to get a touchstone for work. If you can have one, it really makes a huge difference.
    Last edited by Vociferous; 06/26/2010 at 06:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mfrank1 View Post
    I just activated my Verizon PrePlus on Thursday. I'm very concerned about how fast the battery is draining. As a new user of Precentral, I see that battery life is a problem on this phone. I have followed the tips, have almost everything turned off (GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, I manually update email, don't leave apps open). With what I'd call moderate use ... a few short calls, checking my email maybe once an hour, looking at the app store for 20 min...my battery went from 100% at 8 this morning to 40% now at 4pm. Not sure it'll last the evening. Not much good to have a phone that does so much if you're fearful of draining the battery so you don't have a phone when you need it.

My question is: how do you determine if the problem is the battery or the phone? I might have gotten a lemon.
    Welcome to PreCentral and the world of webOS. As Vociferous stated, smartphones like the Pre use quite a bit of power because it's more than just a phone. It's very likely there's nothing wrong with your phone. First of all your phone is quite new, it will take about 2 weeks before you see the normal battery life (it will improve).
    Secondly read this thread(if you haven't already), http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...life-tips.html it will help you set up your Pre for maximum battery life. Enjoy your new phone.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    the reality is that as a new user you are working that phone extra hard - its so much fun. I have a 2600mah 3rd party battery. That's the best option in my book. Odds are that it heavy use. The phone and battery are pro ably fine.
    I have to concur with the 2600 mA battery recommendation. I just picked up a Sedio battery (with free shipping) from Amazon.com for under $50. It arrived the next day. Even though I have not yet fully conditioned it, it's been lasting more than I use in a day where my Palm battery was always running out anytime I left the house (in spite of charging overnight and keeping on the charger when I remembered during the day). The battery comes with a nice fitting cover (not touchstone compatible) but I never got a touchstone anyway. It adds some "depth" to the phone but the extra bulkiness still feels fine (although I have big hands). Instead of waiting a year (like me, before buying more "juice"), I'd say to buy the battery from Amazon. You can get a cheaper one from Amzer but they usually don't have stock when you order and you have to wait around 2 weeks. With Amazon prime, you get a name brand battery with only 1 or 2 days of waiting.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    there is a guy here that will retrofit it to work with a touchstone, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    there is a guy here that will retrofit it to work with a touchstone, too.
    Yeah, I've been tempted to give him a call.

Mfrank1, if you have just come from the world of feature phones... well, kiss that world goodbye. You're a smartphone warrior now. And warriors must prepare for battle! (no idea where that came from)

And Clevin, I hear ya, but I don't have the option to not check my email. If I get a flurry of emails and have to make a ton of phone calls then that's what I have to do. And the phone must be ready to deal with it. At any time. No excuses.

I've found that using the 1400 Mugen, and carrying an extra 2600 Seido does the trick. I don't have an office. I travel all over the city, but I have a car charger, and I use that if I know I'm gonna be in the car for over an hour, and that seems to do the trick.

On quiet days, I get home with the 1400 with plenty of juice. On days when the something hits the fan, I whip out the 2600 and I still get home with plenty of juice. And with the car charger, I'm good for long trips.

Think of it this way, with the Pre, you have a number of options. You can play with settings, you can get a bigger battery, you can get an extra touchstone for work, car charger, or even an extra charging cord and plug it into a wall. With other platforms, (courgh*iPhone*cough) you have fewer choices.

I work in an industry where iPhone users are on the things all day, pounding the heck out of the battery, and there is always a hunt for an outlet, or the massive, brick like iPhone battery chargers.

Granted they are heavy industry users, not your average iPhone users, but while they search and fight for outlets, I just snap in a 2600 battery and get back to work.
    Last edited by Vociferous; 06/26/2010 at 08:17 PM.