Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The palm pre/plus comes with a processor of 500mhz. Using any overclocking kernel it goes over the manufacturer standard. We have witness the palm pre/plus overclocking to 1ghz,and still remain functional regardless of some members complaining about heat issues. Frankly! I have yet to experience that issue myself. Does it really make that much difference in using the overclock 1ghz instead of the 800mhz. It's overclocking anyway you look at it. RIGHT?
    I've actually had less heat issues with the 1GHz kernal. With the current public version of UK, my temp would easily stay between 43-53C. Now, I'm averaging around 37-40C.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    The palm pre/plus comes with a processor of 500mhz. Using any overclocking kernel it goes over the manufacturer standard. We have witness the palm pre/plus overclocking to 1ghz,and still remain functional regardless of some members complaining about heat issues. Frankly! I have yet to experience that issue myself. Does it really make that much difference in using the overclock 1ghz instead of the 800mhz. It's overclocking anyway you look at it. RIGHT?
    You have to think of it this way yes you can easily OC to 720 or so before you run the risk of damage you have a CPU that was designed for 500Mhz and your running it at 1Ghz that double the speed it was designed for when you oc you have to increase the voltage as well so it may work for now but i can about bet that the phone will not work near as long as a stock speed would last... that's just asking for trouble
    wear n tear my friend.

if it's worth it, then go for it
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I've actually had less heat issues with the 1GHz kernal. With the current public version of UK, my temp would easily stay between 43-53C. Now, I'm averaging around 37-40C.
    My experience has been better with 1ghz instead of the UK, too. Interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by gitit20 View Post
    You have to think of it this way yes you can easily OC to 720 or so before you run the risk of damage you have a CPU that was designed for 500Mhz and your running it at 1Ghz that double the speed it was designed for when you oc you have to increase the voltage as well so it may work for now but i can about bet that the phone will not work near as long as a stock speed would last... that's just asking for trouble
    You do know it was designed for 600mhz right? that being said from the looks of it, it is running at a lower voltage so my battery especially during idle periods has been AMAZING far greater then what it was before, plus everything loads so much faster and runs so much smoother, It is night and day difference from stock.
    you talking bout the 1ghz experimental?

I thought voltage had to be increased to run that speed?
    maemo.org - Talk - View Single Post - Your N900 Maximum Overclock

Here is an example given to me by a friend of higher clock speed running at lower voltage. I do not remember the exact voltage of the phone running at 500mhz but I believe it is higher then it is running at 1ghz.

So if my memory is correct then, the battery should not get AS hot as it would normally if you put it under certain pressure and the cpu should also stay cooler.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Just two days ago... with Govnah in Screenstate 500/800 MHz, running RadioTime in the the dash of a convertible (top down) while docked on a TouchStone and streaming over Bluetooth (Ford's SYNC is rather nice), add Sprint Nav to the picture as well.... temperature at 65C for a few hours. Phone still working (currently USB-tethered at the airport waiting for my next flight)... Yeah heat is a concern, but c'mon I've seen 60's.

Don't bother telling me I might fry the phone, I know I just might. My phone my prerogative. Not telling anyone to do this, just telling of life in the hot lane! :-)

I love this phone!!!!
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    maemo.org - Talk - View Single Post - Your N900 Maximum Overclock

Here is an example given to me by a friend of higher clock speed running at lower voltage. I do not remember the exact voltage of the phone running at 500mhz but I believe it is higher then it is running at 1ghz.

So if my memory is correct then, the battery should not get AS hot as it would normally if you put it under certain pressure and the cpu should also stay cooler.
    You don't really sound like you know what you're talking about when referring to overclocking. I've overclocked every computer I've owned with great results and it takes MUCH more than a simple "let's up the speed" terminology. Memory timings come into play, voltages, heat, bus speed/htt link, etc.

Overclocking FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) - How to Overclock! - Overclockers Club Please read that if you want to know more.

In short, the lower the speed, the lower the power it takes to run, hence lower the voltage, but again, please read the above if you want to know more. I didn't read that link myself, but I'm sure it will give you an idea.

I also forgot to mention that overclocking can cause stability issues. It's not just about heat. It can cause graphical anomalies, restarts, a complete shutdown, apps not working correctly, etc.
    Last edited by Reign25; 06/26/2010 at 04:13 PM.
    Twitter: @Eddie255
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Probably worth the risk of Overclocking considering I get a new phone every year.
    yes oc'ing may hurt your phome. Fine. In a year we will all want the next model phone anyway, so oc away. As much as we love our pres right now, as soon as the pre2 comes out, ebay will be inundated with our orig pres.

oc away! Damn usa soccer. And to lose to ghana...oh well
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign25 View Post
    You don't really sound like you know what you're talking about when referring to overclocking. I've overclocked every computer I've owned with great results and it takes MUCH more than a simple "let's up the speed" terminology. Memory timings come into play, voltages, heat, bus speed/htt link, etc.

Overclocking FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) - How to Overclock! - Overclockers Club Please read that if you want to know more.

In short, the lower the speed, the lower the power it takes to run, hence lower the voltage, but again, please read the above if you want to know more. I didn't read that link myself, but I'm sure it will give you an idea.

I also forgot to mention that overclocking can cause stability issues. It's not just about heat. It can cause graphical anomalies, restarts, a complete shutdown, apps not working correctly, etc.
    Did I ever say there wasn't more involved? I think not, but as I said lower voltage does usually tend to generate less heat, as does lower wattage. So if you wish to continue to try going beyond what I said, have fun. So have fun being a
    Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    Did I ever say there wasn't more involved? I think not, but as I said lower voltage does usually tend to generate less heat, as does lower wattage. So if you wish to continue to try going beyond what I said, have fun. So have fun being a
    I apologize, but I also thought you were the OP, so I had to explain why it's not simply upping the clock speed, but you did say quite a few things that tend to imply that you think it's only "upping the clock speed".

It wasn't an attack and I meant to say that in my other recent post, so again, I apologize. Although, that post does help any of the future questions I hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro1 View Post
    Just two days ago... with Govnah in Screenstate 500/800 MHz, running RadioTime in the the dash of a convertible (top down) while docked on a TouchStone and streaming over Bluetooth (Ford's SYNC is rather nice)
    Mustang?
    I'm running at 1ghz and temps are better then 800mhz, 720mhz, 600mhz, and sometimes even stock speeds.

I'm due for a new phone it late augest so hopefullt my Pre Plus last until then and until we have new WebOS hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign25 View Post
    I apologize, but I also thought you were the OP, so I had to explain why it's not simply upping the clock speed, but you did say quite a few things that tend to imply that you think it's only "upping the clock speed".

It wasn't an attack and I meant to say that in my other recent post, so again, I apologize. Although, that post does help any of the future questions I hope.
    It should yes I say if you still have a sprint pre the life of the device should last long enough till a new webos device comes out ( At least I am hoping...). Worst case you spend 100$ and get a replacement, if you are not willing for that to happen then don't do it. Simple as that really. 100$ for a replacement for myself does not bother me all that much. Which is one reason I am using the 1ghz kernel.
    First the Pre's processor was originally designed to run at 600Mhz but was then underclocked by Palm to run at 500Mhz(presumably for battery life).

Overclocking is really very similar to driving your car at a higher average speed say an average of 70mph instead of 55mph...

Will it blow your engine? Probably not.

Will it shorten the life of your engine from say 250k to maybe 175k? Probably.

Will you still own the car after 175k miles? Most people don't.

W/ that said my battery blows at 1Ghz and is noticeably less stable(i.e. I lose Data connection quite frequently especially when tethering).

Ended up switching back to good ole' solid UberKernel running at 800Mhz...will never return to 500Mhz though, EVER!
    Quote Originally Posted by ethic3 View Post
    First the Pre's processor was originally designed to run at 600Mhz but was then underclocked by Palm to run at 500Mhz(presumably for battery life).

Overclocking is really very similar to driving your car at a higher average speed say an average of 70mph instead of 55mph...

Will it blow your engine? Probably not.

Will it shorten the life of your engine from say 250k to maybe 175k? Probably.

Will you still own the car after 175k miles? Most people don't.

W/ that said my battery blows at 1Ghz and is noticeably less stable(i.e. I lose Data connection quite frequently especially when tethering).

Ended up switching back to good ole' solid UberKernel running at 800Mhz...will never return to 500Mhz though, EVER!
    Just had to say.... your analogy with cars..... speed isn't the issue. Rev's are technically the issue when you speak of the motor. So it would be more like driving above 4000 rpms vs always staying below 3000 rpms. Speed is always a variable based on the transmission, wind, terrain, etc.

Just had to add that in, engine speed is comparable to CPU clock speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Just had to say.... your analogy with cars..... speed isn't the issue. Rev's are technically the issue when you speak of the motor. So it would be more like driving above 4000 rpms vs always staying below 3000 rpms. Speed is always a variable based on the transmission, wind, terrain, etc.

Just had to add that in, engine speed is comparable to CPU clock speed.
    I was gonna say somethin, but I didn't really feel like it. So thanks!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast