Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign25 View Post
    I was gonna say somethin, but I didn't really feel like it. So thanks!
    LOLz me being the guy I am, couldn't let it go.
  2.    #22  
    Wow,this thread as been very entertainingly awesome. I have one thing to ask. Anyone on the forum have honestly know of anyone who as fried their phone from overclocking. PLEASE COME FORWARD NOW?? I believe if we didn't have patches/themes/overclocking kernels...many people on here would probably not have kept their phone this long. (word)
    And with the proper lube and maintenance the engine can last ages. Just like making sure your CPU doesn't get to hot, as long as it stays with in the ranges of what the chip maker says all should be good. I know chip makers these days use the same chips for several models. Some times with cores locked and others they tend to just under clock them.
    Iv never bricked a phone from overclocking, but 528mhz+ would usually send my Treos into an endless reboot that was recoverable from if you knew how.

as far as engine speak goes, you keep that oil changed based on conditions, (ie changed after race or rich conditions) and if engine's properly made/balanced higher revs sgouldnt have much of an issue. (not a big bite in engine life anyway)
    Holy macaroni. 1GHz? I guess I need to go do some searching. What are we at, 1 new kernel per week? How can we possibly keep up (not that this is a bad problem)?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Holy macaroni. 1GHz? I guess I need to go do some searching. What are we at, 1 new kernel per week? How can we possibly keep up (not that this is a bad problem)?
    Plus 1.2ghz is being tested, at least it was. But yea it is hard to keep up :P I just check the last replied to topics and stumble onto things like that, but I am sure you already knew that

Have this bookmark saved for it: http://forums.precentral.net/search.php?do=getdaily
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Yah....Well, if my Pre dies. I'll go get a new one lol. They are literally giving these things out for free. My warranty expires in december. <edited by mod>
    That's ****** up and you know it. That's costing the company money because of your idiocy.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/27/2010 at 02:29 AM.
    Twitter: @Eddie255
    Okay, okay...jeeze! I'll install it already. But Banger needs to either start a thread or PM me with info on how to change the oil in my Pre.

(yes, that was sarcasm)

And now...some Glyder2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign25 View Post
    That's ****ed up and you know it. That's costing the company money because of your idiocy.
    Well, idiots will be idiots...
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Yah....Well, if my Pre dies. I'll go get a new one lol. They are literally giving these things out for free. My warranty expires in december. <edited by mod>
    Note that the developers of these custom kernels do not endorse this view.

If you break a device by running it outside of the design limits, then you should take personal responsibility for your actions and buy a new one.

To do otherwise will eventually harm the homebrew community, and cause Palm/HP to shut things down to stop it happening.

-- Rod
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/27/2010 at 02:29 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Been running since yesterday Perfectly!!! Charging via USB stays between 30 to 35C average which is way better the usual 40+ using F104, which makes no since.

How does F104 running 800mhz run hotter then F105 1k+? Forget it, I don't understand it anyways...but I don't have to understand to appreciate his magic!!!

Thank You Unixpsycho very interesting stuff!!! Sorli...
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Note that the developers of these custom kernels do not endorse this view.

If you break a device by running it outside of the design limits, then you should take personal responsibility for your actions and buy a new one.

To do otherwise will eventually harm the homebrew community, and cause Palm/HP to shut things down to stop it happening.

-- Rod
    For this very reason, i'm still running the stock 500mhz.. besides, the phone is still under contract with Verizon. If my phone wasn't under contract, i'd probably overclock it, just for the pure fun of it. Right now, the risk isn't worth the reward. (IMHO)
  13.    #33  
    You have the risk takers someone like me who risks loss or injury in the hope of gain or excitement. Then you have the unadventurous. A person lacking in boldness because of one reason or another. {I'm a risk taker}
    1 ghz risk taker here... Move or get outa my way.. Lol
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Mustang?
    ding ding ding, courtesy of Hertz. In Sonoma wine country...
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Ok, totally misunderstood me.
  17.    #37  
    Ok, totally misunderstood me.
    Huh?
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    I've been running this now for a little over a day... And it's amazing. Running cooler than it did as stock. Running cooler than uber. Very fast and responsive. No heat issues yet at all. Phone seems very happy so far.
    I'm also having less heat issues. With the UK and F104 I would constantly get temp warnings on the TS. I haven't gotten a single one yet and I've had it for about a week.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ethic3 View Post
    First the Pre's processor was originally designed to run at 600Mhz but was then underclocked by Palm to run at 500Mhz(presumably for battery life).

Overclocking is really very similar to driving your car at a higher average speed say an average of 70mph instead of 55mph...

Will it blow your engine? Probably not.

Will it shorten the life of your engine from say 250k to maybe 175k? Probably.

Will you still own the car after 175k miles? Most people don't.

W/ that said my battery blows at 1Ghz and is noticeably less stable(i.e. I lose Data connection quite frequently especially when tethering).

Ended up switching back to good ole' solid UberKernel running at 800Mhz...will never return to 500Mhz though, EVER!
    Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. You're comparing moving parts to electronics. You cannot.

Of course wear-and-tear will prove your car less reliable over time. Overclocking does NOT ruin your cpu's lifetime.

I've had enough of these analogy to vehicles.

Overclocking is fine.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast