1.    #1  
    A few weeks ago I went into my AT&T story (in central New Jersey) and was on the verge of buying a Pre, when I noticed that the one I was poised to buy had a faulty GPS in Google Maps--off by about half a mile. The salesperson and I fiddled with all the settings and nothing helped. I owned a Verizon pre for a few weeks in February and returned it because of the famous GPS issue, and the effect I was getting with the AT&T model seemed the same as the Verizon issue--off by about a half a mile.

In the two other AT&T stores where I've fiddled with the on-the-shelf model, the GPS hasn't been activated at all (couldn't figure out why), so I haven't been able to try to replicate this result.

I can't seem to find any other complaints about AT&T GPS on this board, so presumably this problem isn't widespread. But I'm just wondering if anybody else has any relevant experience.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    The GPS will work, but if you are inside of a building, you can't expect it to be able to get GPS data. It will work in some cases if you are near a window, but seriously, if you have ever used a GPS before, you would know that you need to be outside before you can get a GOOD lock.

Now, there are several things that will assist the GPS, like if it has a GPS fix from being outside, when you go inside it won't suddenly lose where it thinks you are. But, if you turn off your phone and then turn it back on again, you will need to go outside to re-establish the GPS location.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, Targon. I was testing the phone in a one-story building, not all that far from a plate-glass window, but you may be right.

In fact, your theory would explain something else: In February, when I took my Pre back to Verizon to show them the GPS problem, I was all set to show them Google Maps on an iPhone, for comparative purposes, when I noticed that its GPS, too, was off by about a half a mile. Maybe that was just a result of being indoors.

Anyway, maybe I'll go back to the same AT&T store and ask them if I can take the Pre outside for a test spin... Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    The Pre Plus on AT&T comes with a one month trial of AT&T Navigator, so you can use that to test the GPS.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwrighter View Post
    A few weeks ago I went into my AT&T story (in central New Jersey) and was on the verge of buying a Pre, when I noticed that the one I was poised to buy had a faulty GPS in Google Maps--off by about half a mile. The salesperson and I fiddled with all the settings and nothing helped. I owned a Verizon pre for a few weeks in February and returned it because of the famous GPS issue, and the effect I was getting with the AT&T model seemed the same as the Verizon issue--off by about a half a mile.

In the two other AT&T stores where I've fiddled with the on-the-shelf model, the GPS hasn't been activated at all (couldn't figure out why), so I haven't been able to try to replicate this result.

I can't seem to find any other complaints about AT&T GPS on this board, so presumably this problem isn't widespread. But I'm just wondering if anybody else has any relevant experience.

Thanks.
    I'm pretty sure that was a lack of GPS signal due to being inside a building. I'm currently looking at Google Maps, and it has me about a meter and a half from my actual location. GPS has worked all along on my AT&T Pre Plus. GPS signal inside a building is an iffy thing on any GPS receiver, though.
    10+ years of PalmOS and WebOS devices, from Vx through several Clies (until Sony killed them), to Tungsten T5 and T|X, to Centro, to Pre Plus.
    The GPS works, just not very well. It often takes a VERY long time to get a full lock (in comparison to other phones I have had). In doors I've never been able to establish a good GPS lock whereas I could with other phones.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I second what barkerja said. I've put mine on the dashboard for ten minutes and not gotten a full lock.

Does anyone know if this is an ACTUAL GPS? Or does it use cell sites? Obviously if you're out in the middle of nowhere, that kind of faux GPS won't be of much use.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I've found doing a restart shortens the time for the GPS to get a lock on my Pre Plus.

However, we all know how long it takes to perform a simple restart!

WyreNut