1.    #1  
    I am thinking of getting a Palm Pre Plus. Now as I am reading through the postings here I see lots of references to needing to send phones back for exchange and lists of issues folks are having. I know that on most forums all you read about are the problems and not near as much on the good things. So here is my question. Is the Pre Plus prone to issues or is it a good reliable phone? Thanks in advance for your time and responses.
    Mike
    dont know about the pre plus, but i have had my sprint pre for 9 months with no problems at all.. best phone i have ever owned
    Quote Originally Posted by fotomaker57 View Post
    I am thinking of getting a Palm Pre Plus. Now as I am reading through the postings here I see lots of references to needing to send phones back for exchange and lists of issues folks are having. I know that on most forums all you read about are the problems and not near as much on the good things. So here is my question. Is the Pre Plus prone to issues or is it a good reliable phone? Thanks in advance for your time and responses.
    Mike
    Wow mike...that is a good question. The phone is fantastic the operating system is awesome. Right now we may not have the best hardware,but the device have a lot of potential. You wont be disappointed in choosing either a palm pre or palm pre plus. (I'm trying to stay away from negativity towards the palm pre/plus phones.)
    Last edited by rush; 06/26/2010 at 08:01 AM. Reason: correcting statement.
    I had one of the first Sprint Pres for about 8 months (until I upgraded to a Pixi because I don't like sliders). I accidentally dropped it on concrete 3 times so it has a couple of scratches. Other than that it hasn't had problems. Not the oreo effect, not pieces popping off, not even the cracks that some complained about.
    I guess it depends on who you ask. As for me, well you can read the above post by hatchettjack and its about the same for me. Its the best, most fun, most productive hand held device I have ever had. I have my Sprint Pre since July 10, 2009. I have had no hardware problems, and the added fun and excitement from this forum has just added to my joy, exponentially.

As with any forum tho, you may be more likely to see those that HAVE had problems, post more, and with more fervor , just because thats the nature of the net, and forums in general.

I dont know what Vz return policy is, but with Sprint, you can get it, try it for 30 days, and if you dont like it , bring it back, and no charges incurred.

With all the current hype with all the 'droid and iPhones, I actually kinda like the fact that I have WebOs, which IMHO is really a better UI and a more fun phone.

Sure, there is always a wish list, but that with any device.

Id say go for it , but of coures Im biased because I am a PreFan !
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Mike
    You can see thru the forums what the issues are, some of them are very annoying, but if you look at the posts you will see that most of the people haveing issues are getting another pre and trying it again. Yes there are some hardware issues but the benefits and abilities of webos far out-weigh the issues some of us are haveing with the hardware.

I came here with a stock pre wondering what all the hype was about and after only a few weeks Im seeing that this system is far superior to any other I have used, my pre blows any droid out of the water. So I say go for it, if I have my way I will never use anything else but webos devices.
    I've had my Pre for a little more than a year and never had a problem with it. The hardware problems seemed to come in batches for some people, but there are plenty of us who haven't had any problems.

Go for it or wait until after July 1 and see if HPalm starts talking about a new phone.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Mike
    The history of the Pre and Pre Plus goes back for a year and a half now(since it was first announced). So, looking back at the history, it stands to reason that the original Palm Pre on Sprint at launch would have the worst quality. And that is the truth, the plastic from all reports was a bit cheap, and the keyboard slider had issues. So, you would have things like the "Oreo Effect".

When Verizon finally got the Pre in the form of the Pre Plus, most of the build quality issues had been fixed, but there were still a few issues with the first batch of Pre Plus phones on Verizon.

AT&T launched the Pre Plus in May, and had the 1.4.2 kernel on it. The quality is pretty good from personal experience with the AT&T version. No Oreo Effect, and the overall build quality seems to be as good as most devices out there from different manufacturers.

Since then, a new batch of Pre Plus phones seems to have shown up on Verizon with a 1.4 label on some of the boxes from what I have read, and these 1.4 Pre Pluses on Verizon seem to have the same improvements to build quality as the AT&T version.

There are clearly a few things that you will want to patch in(via Preware, which is an app you can download for Homebrew apps and unofficial updates), but if you get one of the 1.4 versions of the Pre Plus, you SHOULD be pretty happy with the quality of the device. The Pre Plus runs at 600MHz(original Pre was 500MHz I believe), which is fairly acceptable. You can easily use one of the kernels to run it at 800MHz without too much of a reason to be worried. This brings the Pre Plus closer to the performance of the newer devices on the market. Just keep in mind that this will void your warranty, so you should wait at least a month or two to make sure your phone doesn't have any problems that would make you want to send it back on warranty.

If you couldn't tell, I am very happy with my Pre Plus, and with the WebOS 1.4.5 update that SHOULD be released "soon" on most cell phone carriers, we should see quite a few new apps released at that time.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    The numbers in this poll indicate over 43% of Pre users have returned their phones at least once. Many, more than once! (Third Pre, myself. Was it worth the hassle? Absolutely.)

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...your-pres.html
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the quick replies. I will be using AT&T if I go with the Palm Pre Plus. My daughter is an AT&T dealer so not much choice there. Many of the people I work with have IPhones and I have seen some having problems with them also. I know anything can fail just the nature of things. However from what I have seen over the years is that if you take care of what you have most of the time it will take care of you. I am not saying that those of you that have had problems were abusing your phones just making a general statement. So keep the comments coming I am still on the fence.
    Mike
    I have my lunch day pre, still going strong.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    fotomaker, it seems that the majority of the regulars around here are on Sprint, which even now has the original Palm Pre(though hopefully with SOME of the improvements to build quality). Due to the Plus versions having double the amount of RAM compared to the Sprint version, we don't really get the too many cards errors. Also, since the Verizon and AT&T plus versions came so long after the original launch of the Palm Pre on Sprint, they have the benefit of that better quality.

If there was a new poll asking how many people with a PLUS version of the Palm Pre have had to return them, the number would probably show an average of under 1.
  13.    #13  
    Targon
    Thanks that is the kind of info am looking for.
    Mike