Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    hey folks,
    So, I understand that the Pre has some kind of, let's call it "fat-finger prevention algorithm." If you mash a couple of keys, the Pre is smart enough to only actually type the first key that was pressed down. This can come in handy sometimes when I can only type with one hand, if I'm wearing a glove, or whatever. But usually, I'm good at hitting the keys with good accuracy (or is it precision? I forget). (I use my thumbnails btw.)

When I am typing fast, and type a word with two adjacent letters that are also adjacent on the keyboard (e.g. "right"), the second one is often missed (--> "rigt"), because I don't wait for one thumb to come all the way up before pushing the other one down. The most common example for me is with words that start with N or C -- they are prevented because they're next to the spacebar. (So a sentence like "I can type good" looks like "I an type good".)

So.... Unless there's a way to turn off fat-finger prevention, I'll just have to train myself to type a little differently. Is anyone else annoyed by this? And more importantly, does anyone know how to turn it off? (patch request? )

thanks!
    -d
    There currently is a lack of fat-finger prevention options.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    yes this happens to me also. I guess we type TOO fast.

meh
    The best bet is to do what I did, edit the auto correct dictionary. You'd have to put your phone into developer mode, receive the auto text replace file, add all the words you usually mess up on, then send it back. It's seriously helped me I have no typos in my texts now because it fixes all the ones I type too fast on.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    And typing even faster causes even more letters to be missed.
    Whatsupwitdat?
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    thanks for the replies, and the auto-correct tip. Actually yeah, I am a big user of the auto-correct dictionary. (i use it to save time on my often-used words and phrases, e.g. n -> and, hig -> how's it going, py -> probably, etc... But that's for another topic )
    I didn't think to use it for these particular mistakes, but yeah, I should probably add migt -> might, etc. It still wouldn't help with words that the spacebar causes this problem with, cuz I'd have to add every word that starts with C or N to the dict!
    anyway, thanks for the idea!
    d
    I suspect this is a side effect of the fix for Pre Plus units to eliminate the double characters they were experiencing. I would think this is fixable by only applying this fix on Pre Plus units and not on the original Pre that did not have keyboard problems.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meandmypre View Post
    I suspect this is a side effect of the fix for Pre Plus units to eliminate the double characters they were experiencing. I would think this is fixable by only applying this fix on Pre Plus units and not on the original Pre that did not have keyboard problems.
    Hey, you might be on to something there. I don't remember this happening to me before a couple months ago or so.... <raise eyebrow>
    So either they came out with this compensation (fix), or I just recently got too fast at typing....

(Reminds me of a scene from Revenge Of The Nerds II. It's about stroke technique.)