1.    #1  
    We've had our Pres for almost a year now and pay the 9.99 a month to Best Buy for insurance. Do you think I should drop it now that I could replace them cheaply???? Or, even get a totally new phone. We just got iPads and you can do almost everything on it (except talk). You can text on it when connected to a wifi hotspot or 3G and it even has GPS.
    We pay $263. a year for 2 phones.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    I have Sprint and proud of it!
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    What does the insurance get you?

The $7/mo Sprint insurance gives you the privilege of buying a replacement for $100. You can usually get nearly new or even new Sprint Pre phones for $150 on Craigslist (take the seller to a Sprint Store to check out the phone). So you basically are paying $7 a month to offset the $50 cost difference. Not a very good idea in my opinion. I have not carried any insurance in quite some time.

Now, with Best Buy, you have to decide based upon what you get, but at $10/mo, it better be pretty good.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Quote Originally Posted by maryinredding View Post
    We just got iPads and you can do almost everything on it (except talk). You can text on it when connected to a wifi hotspot or 3G and it even has GPS. .
    I'm about to rant so be prepared.

You just put down hundreds of dollars for a piece of electronic equipment that is equivalent to the iPod/iPhone, but with a bigger screen. No multi-tasking, no flash, nothing that an actual "computer" can do. It's actually a tablet PC, but without the power of Windows, without a keyboard, without a stylus, and all the programs that are available for tablet PC's. Granted, it's for a different market, but it's still just that. I don't understand, why pay hundreds for a crippled computer? Because it's Apple? It doesn't even have the power of a tablet PC, not even close. Did you buy it because it's a good e-book reader like I've heard? If so, you really wanted to dish out that much money for something like that? I honestly don't understand. Are you really going to use the iPad as a GPS? Seriously? Doesn't the fact that you can't really hold it in your hands because of the form factor irritate you? It looks like a clipboard but bigger.

k I'm done. I just don't understand. I'm not sure if people are feeble minded and susceptible to Apple products, but it blows my mind.
    Twitter: @Eddie255
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign25 View Post
    I'm about to rant so be prepared.

You just put down hundreds of dollars for a piece of electronic equipment that is equivalent to the iPod/iPhone, but with a bigger screen. No multi-tasking, no flash, nothing that an actual "computer" can do. It's actually a tablet PC, but without the power of Windows, without a keyboard, without a stylus, and all the programs that are available for tablet PC's. Granted, it's for a different market, but it's still just that. I don't understand, why pay hundreds for a crippled computer? Because it's Apple? It doesn't even have the power of a tablet PC, not even close. Did you buy it because it's a good e-book reader like I've heard? If so, you really wanted to dish out that much money for something like that? I honestly don't understand. Are you really going to use the iPad as a GPS? Seriously? Doesn't the fact that you can't really hold it in your hands because of the form factor irritate you? It looks like a clipboard but bigger.

k I'm done. I just don't understand. I'm not sure if people are feeble minded and susceptible to Apple products, but it blows my mind.
    To each their own. Some view it as a symbol of luxury while others feel like it fits their needs. I try not to judge, but to the OP, if you are gonna worry about a $10 month insurance plan when you have 2 iPads then I don't understand the situation.

Personally, I would just get your carrier's insurance plan and keep it. Its definitely worth the hassle since you will regret it down the road.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    It really depends on your finances and if you live in a Craigslist area. Personally, I don't like Craigslist, so I would be hunting eBay, which can be good or bad depending on what you're looking for and if you can be there the moment the auction ends to ward off any eBay snipers (COME AT ME SNIPERS!!!). But then you have to trust that the person you're buying it from isn't lying about the condition of the phone and that their ESN is clean. I love eBay, but I don't buy everything from there...

So, I would have some type of insurance...and it would not be the Best Buy kind. Go with the TEP. So many bad experiences posted on this forum of people with the BB insurance who've had to wait a month for their phone...I lucked up and got it exchanged in store after much agony. After that I added the TEP and cancelled the BB insurance. You will have to pay $100 for a phone if it's accidental damage/lost/stolen, but worth it not to have to deal with random people, imo.

Yeah, and what Abyssul said, you guys just dropped a grand on two iPads. Insurance cost sounds like the least of your worrys, but then I guess if you can drop a grand on two iPads, $150 for a slightly used Pre is nothing.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I never get the insurance on phones because I never lose them or jump in the pool with them (except that one time in high school with the old Sanyo 5600). I feel like if you drop it at this point, you save the $240 for the year. If you need a new Pre, that's enough right there.
  7.    #7  
    Sorry I opened up such a can of worms.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    I have Sprint and proud of it!
    Mention of Apple and luxury don't mix. I don't intend to be mean, but it doesn't make sense and your post kind of contradicts itself.
    I think going with carrier insurance is a better idea. You can drop insurance altogether if you think you can get a replacement device for about $200. $100 is the duductible and $100 for a year of indurance.
    already dropped my first one and best buy got me a new one....already dropped my second one but havent gotten it replaced yet because its not as bad
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    The best buy insurance sounds like a better insurance than the carrier. Well at least mine does. I have Sprint. But when I had bought an Evo I was given the opportunity to get their insurance at best buy. They told me it's like sprints but instead of giving you a referbished phone when something goes wrong, they give you a new one. And there is no deductable you have to pay. That's what I was told. Whether it's true, idk. But to me, that right there is already a better insurance for the phone then the carrier.
    my neighbor, the jones, just bought 2 i pads, and i still wouldnt be caught dead with one