Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    My Pre Plus GSM from SFR in France has an unstable USB connection. When I transfer a large file (300 MB) or even just several MP3s, it breaks off in the middle and I get a dialog box that says

"ERROR COPYING FILE OR FOLDER
    Cannot copy xxx.mp3. Cannot find the specified file.
    Make sure you specify the correct path and file name."

I have no choice but to pull the USB cable since the Pre won't eject, whereupon the Pre does a Luna start.

I've replicated this problem on a patched (60 or so) Pre, a freshly doctored one, with many different USB cables and ports, and two different laptops.

Anyone have any suggestions? Everything else works fine. The most reliable way to upload files is by WOSQI, but I can only do it one by one, and it's a bit long for many MP3.
    Did you try a different cable? Or a different USB port? If you're using the same port and the same cable for all the phones, it may not be the phones.
    Same problem here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    My Pre Plus GSM from SFR in France has an unstable USB connection. When I transfer a large file (300 MB) or even just several MP3s, it breaks off in the middle and I get a dialog box that says

"ERROR COPYING FILE OR FOLDER

I have no choice but to pull the USB cable since the Pre won't eject, whereupon the Pre does a Luna start.

I've replicated this problem on a patched (60 or so) Pre, a freshly doctored one, with many different USB cables and ports, and two different laptops.

Anyone have any suggestions? Everything else works fine. The most reliable way to upload files is by WOSQI, but I can only do it one by one, and it's a bit long for many MP3.
    You didn't say which way you were transferring, to or from the Pre. I suspect your issue is a file system issue, and not a cable issue. Here are some things to look for:

Windows (I'm assuming you're using Windows) is somewhat restrictive about a FAT32 file system (the /media/internal volume on the Pre is a FAT32 volume). Windows is picky about how deep the files are stored, how much total storage is used, how big the files being copied are, and a host of other things. Without some more information, it's hard to be 100% sure, but I suspect you're running into file/folder name issues.
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm having a similar problem. I've been trying to copy photos, mp3's, or even simple text files to my Pre in USB mode, and am getting:

Cannot copy xxxxx: Acccess is denied.

Make sure that the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use
    I've tried plugging into different ports and restarting the phone. I even tried simply putting the file in the root C: directory on my computer to copy it over. No dice
    Quote Originally Posted by dandufour View Post
    Since this is a problem with your motherboard's USB hub, you could try to reinstall your chipset drivers.
    How would I know that it's a problem with the USB hub?
    Technically, this is on my work computer. Think there's something being blocked? I can copy from the phone to the computer, just not the other way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    <snip> "ERROR COPYING FILE OR FOLDER

I have no choice but to pull the USB cable since the Pre won't eject, whereupon the Pre does a Luna start. <end snip>.
    Yep, I'm having the exact same error issue (WinPC XPproSP3, Pre+ Verizon w/1.4.5, Preware, UberKernal+Guvnah...).
    First encountered file error message after trying to sync w/iTunes (8.02, yes a good old version). iTunes produced an error message, preventing proceeding, so I cc'd MP3 & M4P files along with their respective files/format/structure directly from my iPod nano to the Pre's iTunes folders.

During this direct copy process, the Windows error message commonly appears and interrupts things. Clumsy work-around is to properly "Safely remove" the Pre via Windows task bar command, plug it back in, tap USB again, then resume copying. It's a total pain in the hiney. Sometimes it'll copy an entire 550MB folder of MP3's w/o interruption, and other times it'll error after only a few copied files. So, it doesn't appear to be a folder size thing, and it doesn't appear to trip on large file sizes either.

Upon resuming copying, I'll drag 'n drop all the MP3/M4P file contents of a given folder from the nano in the Pre's corresponding folder. Using "Shift N" to select "No to all" helps avoid having to determine what files still need transferring and which have already copied OK, without having to tend each "...do you want to replace?" with a click or key response.

Also, subsequent to the copying error, all folders on the Pre appear to be empty. But after a USB unplug-replug, the files appear back in folders as normal.

Anyone know what's causing this files error? Evidently, Windows file copy manager sees it, and does iTunes sync. Never seen this problem on this PC before.
    Last edited by GlennTaper; 10/24/2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Add relavent comment
    Hate to say it, but I ended up having to take a visit to the Doctor. It's worked fine since.
    Hi,

I am getting the same issue since day 1 (Using it for three months). when I copy small size file ( < 50 MB) one by one, it is fine. If I attempt to copy multiple files together which exceeds 50 MB or single file say 200 MB, then this problem appears, very unstable. I have two laptops (DELL & HP with XP Prof/Vista - FAT32/NTFS), both are giving the same problem. I am using all orginal cables. I tried in my office desktop (Lenovo XP prof - NTFS format), same issue (very easly replicable). My wife has Iphone, was able to transfer all the files in one attempt through itunes, no issues. I tried copying the same files in my flash drives (8 GB flash drive of Kingston and 32 GB flash drive of Patriot both are in FAT32 format ) both went fine in single attempt. I have my old palm treo 680 I use USB drive software with 4 GB Sandisk Ultra Card - it works fine. Palm pre plus is the odd man out.

Highly appreciate for any help resolving this issue.
    No help so far.
    I have this same problem as well while attempting to move a movie via usb from computer to pre+. Never figured out why this was happening to me. The work around that was successful for me was using zumodrive. I was able to copy locally and was able to watch both my movies on my phone no problems.
    Last edited by monosolodoc; 11/12/2010 at 03:15 AM.
    I ended up running the WebOS doctor. It's been fine ever since.

I was having this same problem and I believe I have found a solution (for Windows)

1. Connect the device, enter USB mode, and wait for windows to recognize the drive
    2. Right click on the Palm in the My Computer window and select Properties
    3. Click on the Hardware tab
    4. Click on Palm Pre USB Device
    5. Click the Properties button
    6. Click the Policies tab
    7. Select Optimize for performance
    8. Click OK

It seems to remember this setting when you plug the phone in again. Before I did this, I could only copy a couple of files at a time before it errored. After applying this setting, I just copied about 2.5 gigs of mp3s in a few minutes. It didn't raise the error, but after the transfer was complete, it displayed similar symptoms as before (file system appeared to be empty on the phone). But hey, if I can copy files and it just fails when I'm done, whatever... Way better than having to pay a visit to the Doctor!

Hope this helps.

p.s.
    i just transferred maybe 15 files and it finished fine, no error, still recognizes the drive.
    Last edited by and i; 01/22/2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: added the p.s.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Thanks for the workaround to this "cold case". It works for me similar to yours now (which is great!). I can finally do large transfers, but crashes in the end and I can't eject. Unplug crashes and restarts Pre.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by and i View Post

I was having this same problem and I believe I have found a solution (for Windows)

1. Connect the device, enter USB mode, and wait for windows to recognize the drive
    2. Right click on the Palm in the My Computer window and select Properties
    3. Click on the Hardware tab
    4. Click on Palm Pre USB Device
    5. Click the Properties button
    6. Click the Policies tab
    7. Select Optimize for performance
    8. Click OK

It seems to remember this setting when you plug the phone in again. Before I did this, I could only copy a couple of files at a time before it errored. After applying this setting, I just copied about 2.5 gigs of mp3s in a few minutes. It didn't raise the error, but after the transfer was complete, it displayed similar symptoms as before (file system appeared to be empty on the phone). But hey, if I can copy files and it just fails when I'm done, whatever... Way better than having to pay a visit to the Doctor!

Hope this helps.

p.s.
    i just transferred maybe 15 files and it finished fine, no error, still recognizes the drive.
    This didn't fix my issue. I no longer get the error, instead the drive just disapears from windows. Anyhow, this only happens at work. My desktop and laptop at home do not have the issue.
    looks like it fixes it sometimes but not all the time? something else that might help is to right click the device in the "my computer" window, go to properties, tools, then select "Check Now..." click the "Automatically fix file system errors" checkbox but leave the 2nd box unchecked, then click start.
    Here is another solution

insert ur pendrive, if u have any MAC operating system,just insert into DVD drive then restart,then
    -press f8 then
    -type ” -v -voodoo”
    -then black screen ll go for some times
    -click to continue
    - in the next window click UTILITY from menu bar then click on disk utility
    -then choose ur pendrive in explorer left side
    -then click on erase
    -format in “journeld-extended”
    -again format in FAT
    be sure u have put legacy usb:”disabled”.

MAC ll change file allocation table.now come into windows check ur pendrive.

Or simply use LONG PATH Tool to fix this kind of problem.
    They're referring to their Pre smartphones here; not just some generic pendrive. At least, inform them that they will lose everything on the USB partition in the process, and suggest that they backup their data before proceeding.

If this works, then it can easily be done on a PC. The default FAT settings will have to be changed in the format dialog box. But the errors suggest possible driver and file/dir privilege issues.

A quick check would be to boot the PC from a live CD (Bart PE, Hirens Boot, Knoppix, Kill Bill, etc.) and try copying the files that way. BartPE and Hirens Boot CD have a Mini XP environment so they will be more familiar to those not on Linux. The occasional problematic file xfer or deletion works for me that way.