1.    #1  
    What is my best course of action? Call Sprint CS or Palm CS? I know I'm gonna need to pay for a new one (prefer new to refurb), but I'd like to keep the damage to a minimum. The phone is just over three months old. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcm05 View Post
    What is my best course of action? Call Sprint CS or Palm CS? I know I'm gonna need to pay for a new one (prefer new to refurb), but I'd like to keep the damage to a minimum. The phone is just over three months old. Thanks.
    Are you due an upgrade from Sprint? if so I'd call them. if not, I'd go to Ebay & Craigslist for a replacement. Either way, I don't think Palm could help much...
    Yah I would go Craigslist....Palm Pre phones are going for $80-$300 there for new and slightly used.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
  4.    #4  
    Thanks. Not due an upgrade. Just did three months ago. It is on my employer's plan which I am in charge of. Wondering if I could use the $800/mo we spend as leverage to get a new one.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    We have 3 Pre phones on the account, soon to be 4 then 5 as the kids all move to Pre phones (we already pay for the plan, its just a matter of getting the phones). I intentionally do not carry insurance, but instead keep an extra Pre around for replacement. I get the extra Pre from Craigslist then meet the seller at a Sprint store. Nearly new Pre phones sell for around $150 right now and sometimes I see one for $100 (harder to catch, they sell faster). For the $7 a month per phone insurance and that the insurance only means you can buy the next phone for $100, you are paying that $7/mo to offset the $50. Does not seem very economical to me to carry insurance for the Pre.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Your best recourse of action (for a new phone) is to try Sprint. Although Palm is the manufacturer we don't stock new phones. New phones are shipped to carriers to retail.

You can contact Palm support and get a replacement device, but it will be a refurbished unit and you would have to pay an out of warranty fee. In all likelihood though you are going to be paying an out of warranty fee whether you go to Sprint or Palm.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    We pay $ 7 but still have to pay $100 to get the phone replaced which is dumb to me. $7 times 24 months is $168 plus the taxes. I don't think the Pre is even worth 150 ... On Sprint we have the choice to add insurance but have to wait a month until it works. He still got to pay. So who cares!
    Deductable is only $50 on VZ. Also, under warranty I would expect a replacement unless there were signs of abuse (i.e. gash caused by impact).

In otherwords, if I dropped it on carpet with no mark - I'd call that a failure of material and workmanship, covered by warranty.

If I dropped it on the sidewalk and put a big gash in the plastic, I'd call that abuse, covered by insurance.

Once long ago I broke a phone with a mild drop. VZ handled it as a warranty replacement because the drop on carpet produced no sign of abuse (these are their words). The knew that it had been dropped, and agreed that it should not have broken without signs of abuse. They knowingly replaced it. Wasn't a Palm phone, I think it was RAZR.

In reality, the insurance is really only worth it for year 2, but you have to have been paying it since purchase in order to have it. $140 for a 2 year contract, and $50 deductable. Obviously I carry insurance on expensive phones (like a Treo) but not on a cheap phone (like the Centro).

I definitely have it on my Pre Plus.
    It is $119 + tax to get it replaced thru Sprint, just take it to any Corporate Sprint Service & Repair Store.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    OMG that are charging 45 bucks for a usb plug i will never buy parts from them
    Ok... I've cleaned up the thread - Lets please keep the suggestions 'legal' for the OP... We have great relationships with Palm and Sprint and certainly want members to find assistance here as long as the suggestions are within boundaries.

If anyone has any good suggestions for the OP please feel free to continue the discussion on-topic.

Thanks
    Thanks. Not due an upgrade. Just did three months ago. It is on my employer's plan which I am in charge of. Wondering if I could use the $800/mo we spend as leverage to get a new one.
    Yes. They will work with you to get a new pre.. or if you want out of the pre. Talk to a corporate store, not a locally owned one. gootLook!

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  13.    #13  
    Thanks all. Just an update. I called Sprint Customer Service on Friday. Spoke to a rep and went back and forth with him. First he said full retail to replace. $549. I asked if he could do any better. He put me on hold for a few minutes so he could look for his superior. Came back on the line and said $249. At this point I pulled out the "Long Term Business Customer" card and played that. He put me on hold again and then his superior got on the line and said the best they could do is meet me halfway....$125 for a brand new Pre. 45 minutes later my Pre will be on the way to me.

Meanwhile, it got knocked out of my cheap plastic, clip-type belt holder AGAIN yesterday and now the touchscreen doesn't work at all. I just ordered a new leather case-type belt holster so this stops happening. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Now if I could just get my boss to pay for the replacement...
    That's good you getting a new phone. You could of told them you would jump ship to verzion or at&t for the pre plus if you had to pay $549 for a new phone. Which is not even worth that much and it's not the best phone sprint have right in turns of Hardware. My Razr from 2007 been dropped plenty of times and still could work!
    Thanks all. Just an update. I called Sprint Customer Service on Friday. Spoke to a rep and went back and forth with him. First he said full retail to replace. $549. I asked if he could do any better. He put me on hold for a few minutes so he could look for his superior. Came back on the line and said $249. At this point I pulled out the "Long Term Business Customer" card and played that. He put me on hold again and then his superior got on the line and said the best they could do is meet me halfway....$125 for a brand new Pre. 45 minutes later my Pre will be on the way to me.

Meanwhile, it got knocked out of my cheap plastic, clip-type belt holder AGAIN yesterday and now the touchscreen doesn't work at all. I just ordered a new leather case-type belt holster so this stops happening. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Now if I could just get my boss to pay for the replacement...
    Well done. Nothing illegal, and there's nothing at all wrong with leveraging the money you spend with the company.