Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    im more of a "git r done" kinda guy... no app needed for that
  2.    #22  
    I wil be brief, but here are some of the shortcomings of outline tracker

1. It seems that in order for me to input a task, it requires that I create a project for it. Not every task is going to require a separate project. That's a waste of time in my books. The goal is to be efficient, not redundant

2. Nothing refreshes in outline tracker. I move a task from a context, and it still remains within the context that I moved it from until I refresh to program to see it disappear

3. Very unprofessional layout. It's almost as if I'm working in a beta program of some sort. Why is it that when I do not have tasks in a certain context, a weird screen pops up with some foreign language or garbage stating in paragraphs of text that I do not have any uncompleted tasks in this particular context. There is something to be said about having a completely empty context box. it provides a piece of mind...like david covey stated..."mind like water". Get rid of the cartoon page please!
    4. Outline tracker seems to throw up some flags or error messages at random when I may be performing tasks within a context.
    5. If you look at todomatrix at rexwireless.com, you can see how delegation of tasks should work. The delegation feature for outline tracker does not allow me to facilitate delegation within multiple projects. In fact, it would be hell to try and manage multiple projects in my book because of the rough layout...and projects within projects...forget about it
    6. It would be nice to be able to SORT tasks within contexts as I am able to do in todomatrix.
    7. Please refer to omnifocus on how a professionally designed program layout should look.
    8. Backup to desktop? With todomatrix, I simply log into rexdesktop.com, and I am able to type paragraphs of information into my mobile app. I cant imagine having to do that with outlinetracker. Rexdesktop also remotely backs up my data on a daily basis...so if I lose my blackberry, I am able to simply get another...install todomatrix..login, and my data appears immediately. In fact, I can even set it to back up multiple times per day should I choose to do so.

Thanks for reading this

Andy
    Andy, if that's you being brief, I don't want to know what an extensive answer looks like. Thank you for taking the time pointing these things out. I don't understand very much from it (context-wise), but be assured, that this post is bookmarked for future reference.
    'til we meet again.
    THL
  4.    #24  
    doug,

didnt realize that you developed outlinetracker....you may message me privately if you wish. In my opinion, you currently have the best GTD application for the palm pre. I use it now as my primary method, but coming from a blackberry and todomatrix..or omnifocus for apple, it is not quite there yet. I do, however, believe that it has the potential. Like I said earlier...I paid over 50 USD for todomatrix, and would gladly do the same for a comprehensive program for GTD

Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by akular1 View Post
    I wil be brief, but here are some of the shortcomings of outline tracker

1. It seems that in order for me to input a task, it requires that I create a project for it. Not every task is going to require a separate project. That's a waste of time in my books. The goal is to be efficient, not redundant

2. Nothing refreshes in outline tracker. I move a task from a context, and it still remains within the context that I moved it from until I refresh to program to see it disappear

3. Very unprofessional layout. It's almost as if I'm working in a beta program of some sort. Why is it that when I do not have tasks in a certain context, a weird screen pops up with some foreign language or garbage stating in paragraphs of text that I do not have any uncompleted tasks in this particular context. There is something to be said about having a completely empty context box. it provides a piece of mind...like david covey stated..."mind like water". Get rid of the cartoon page please!
    4. Outline tracker seems to throw up some flags or error messages at random when I may be performing tasks within a context.
    5. If you look at todomatrix at rexwireless.com, you can see how delegation of tasks should work. The delegation feature for outline tracker does not allow me to facilitate delegation within multiple projects. In fact, it would be hell to try and manage multiple projects in my book because of the rough layout...and projects within projects...forget about it
    6. It would be nice to be able to SORT tasks within contexts as I am able to do in todomatrix.
    7. Please refer to omnifocus on how a professionally designed program layout should look.
    8. Backup to desktop? With todomatrix, I simply log into rexdesktop.com, and I am able to type paragraphs of information into my mobile app. I cant imagine having to do that with outlinetracker. Rexdesktop also remotely backs up my data on a daily basis...so if I lose my blackberry, I am able to simply get another...install todomatrix..login, and my data appears immediately. In fact, I can even set it to back up multiple times per day should I choose to do so.

Thanks for reading this

Andy
    These are the EXACT issues I have with this app. So for anyone wondering, he wrote it all.
    Twitter: @Eddie255
    doug,

didnt realize that you developed outlinetracker....you may message me privately if you wish. In my opinion, you currently have the best GTD application for the palm pre. I use it now as my primary method, but coming from a blackberry and todomatrix..or omnifocus for apple, it is not quite there yet. I do, however, believe that it has the potential. Like I said earlier...I paid over 50 USD for todomatrix, and would gladly do the same for a comprehensive program for GTD

Andy
    Again, agreed. For people that really need GTD apps on a daily basis, $50 for helping them on projects is not a huge price to pay; however, it needs to be extremely proficient and at "1.0" stage as Andy was saying. If it is a polished product, again, $50 is not a huge price to pay, but the market will dictate if it's polished, finished, and a reasonable price to pay.
    Twitter: @Eddie255
    Implementing an app for the GTD methodology in a way that is generally acceptable to large numbers of users is always going to be extremely difficult. Everyone has their own very specific ideas about how to do task management in general and GTD followers often take that to extremes. (Don't get me wrong, I'm a GTDer myself and have been know to be extreme at times.) Pleasing that crowd is not easy.

Several apps, ToodleDo for one, have done a pretty good job with this, but I think that in their attempt to appeal to non-GTD users as well, they somewhat missed the boat. I used to love LifeBalance on my old PalmOS Centro but once they started developing an iPhone app they pretty much lost sight of any other platform. If they ever developed a WebOS app with a cloud sync back end I would probably go back to them.

For now, I use ToodleDo and it's companion WebOS app, Done. What I like most about Done is that the developer works very hard to stay engaged with users and is very responsive to requests for bug fixes and feature tweaks.
    1. It seems that in order for me to input a task, it requires that I create a project for it. Not every task is going to require a separate project.
    Is it awkward to use a single project (or a few) to contain all your tasks? Allen defines a GTD "project" as anything which requires more than one step, but you don't have to create a new Outline Tracker Project for every GTD project -- you can create an item for the GTD project in an existing Outline Tracker Project.

I personally use only three projects: one for work, one for personal life, and a Basecamp project for my household.

Some people don't _want_ their to-list to refresh until they explicitly tell it to.

The number of Preferences in a handheld app needs to be kept to the minimum necessary, but this might justify one.

There's a certain tension between new users (who need lots of hints to understand what's going on) and experienced users. I'm not sure there's a good heuristic that would allow Outline Tracker to know that you're an experienced user, who doesn't need hints like this.

After some more-often-requested features are implemented, I'd like to add a back end that is more in harmony with Outline Tracker than Basecamp.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougReeder View Post
    After some more-often-requested features are implemented, I'd like to add a back end that is more in harmony with Outline Tracker than Basecamp.
    That sounds like a plan!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12