1.    #1  
    It's time to make the move to a smartphone. I've been looking at the Pre for a while and was waiting for the Pre Plus to come to Canada but there is no indication of when that will happen. I need the following in a smartphone:

• Phone -- good reception and clarity
    • Good contact management
    • Email for multiple accounts -- several business and personal with integration into Outlook
    • Web browsing

I don't care about Facebook or Twitter but will play games on the phone. Integration to a GTD (Getting Things Done) system is a supreme bonus.

I looked at the Blackberry and like the email capabilities, the physical keyboard and the build quality but I don't like the screen size or the web browser. Most of my colleagues have Blackberries and I would prefer to have something different.

I looked at the iphone and like the screen size, the app store and the build quality but I don't like the lack of a physical keyboard. Plus I'm not an Apple fan with their closed systems and not sure I could even buy an iphone.

I like the Pre for the physical keyboard, the OS, the home brew apps and the physical size is good although I'd prefer if the Pre had a slightly bigger screen with better resolution. I don't like the build quality issues, short battery life and would prefer the Plus with double the RAM.

The biggest drawback is the Pre is only available from Bell and you either get the phone for free with a three year contract or pay $299 with no contract. Given the build quality issues I can't see the phone lasting three years plus it will be severely dated at the end of the contract.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, particularly from Bell users.

TL;DR
    Need a smartphone, like the Pre but can't get the Plus in Canada and the contract options suck. Maybe I should get a Blackberry or an iphone.
    hmm, I would tell you to wait until the end of the summer if that is possible. The reason I say this is because I strongly believe that the plus will be coming to Bell,on there new network, sometime this summer(hopefully). If you really cannot wait then go ahead, that's if you can handle Bell's CS...
    I just got a Pre from bell for $99 on a 1 year contract. You cannot get it with one of their smartphone bundles, but instead have to get it with only a "Voice and More" plan, and then add the data feature.
    I'd say go for it. It will give you what you're looking for and much more.

The Pre plus might come to Bell, it might not. Palm is very close to releasing a brand new phone. So why would Bell bother with the Plus when the next gen is literally months away.

And when the next Palm phone is released in late fall early winter, Bell probably won't get it until early next year sometime, so if I were you, I'd take a one year contract for 99 and when it's time to get the new next gen Palm/HP phone, you'll be ready.
    Get the Pre now with the 3 year contract, and your phone bill will be deducted $15 every month for the next 3 years.

A pretty sweet deal from Bell.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Get the Pre now with the 3 year contract, and your phone bill will be deducted $15 every month for the next 3 years.

A pretty sweet deal from Bell.
    I just bought a pre with this plan... If palm comes out with a new phone will I be able to upgrade next year?

thanks!
    I love my pre, but there are some inherent drawbacks especially living in canada. First off on the hardware side while it might be a little flakey my biggest issue is the speaker/headset volume. personally its getting on my nerves. There is a good chance its just me and my growing deafness, but if thats not a big issue for you then consider it a write off.

The second issue i have is with CDMA, being on bell with a Pre will result in plenty of dropped calls. i cant make a call in my basement without cutouts or dropped calls.

Besides that, i personally believe that webos is a strong system and something to think about.

Good luck
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for your ideas and responses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry_Dad View Post
    It's time to make the move to a smartphone.
    Greetings fellow Canadian! I'm happy to pass on some information about my experience with the Pre.

I've been looking at the Pre for a while and was waiting for the Pre Plus to come to Canada but there is no indication of when that will happen. I need the following in a smartphone:

[*]Phone -- good reception and clarity
    No issues with clarity. I've actually gotten some compliments on how clear I sound as compared to my old dumbphone. I do have some issues with dropped calls in large concrete buildings (i.e. the local Wal-Mart) or in deep subbasements, but I also live in a rural area, so take that with a grain of salt.

[*]Good contact management
    Synergy is bloody brilliant. I have contacts from outlook, Google, and Facebook, and it merged about 95% of the duplicate entries up correctly with no errors. This is one of my favourite aspects of the Pre.

[*]Email for multiple accounts -- several business and personal with integration into Outlook
    The Pre does fairly well here. On the plus side, it supports a unified mailbox and (based on reports on these forums) as many Outlook accounts as you please. On the minus side, the user interface feels a little bare bones, but much of that can be fixed with homebrew patches, and you sound tech-savy enough to install and manage those.

[*]Web browsing
    Again, the Pre does well here. Web browsing is intuitive and well-featured with a full webkit browser pinch to zoom and double-tap to centre on text. You may experience some occasional lag in browsing, but overall it feels like laptop browsing on a smaller screen.

I don't care about Facebook or Twitter but will play games on the phone. Integration to a GTD (Getting Things Done) system is a supreme bonus.
    Check out Outline Tracker for an app that supports the GTD system. At $24, it's one of the pricier apps in the catalog, but there's also a free version that works for casual or personal use. **EDIT: Also try Done, an excellent Pre task manager that syncs with the excellent online task manager Toodledo**

I'm not an Apple fan with their closed systems and not sure I could even buy an iphone.
    The Pre is as open as it gets! One thing I love about this phone is how very simple it is for the community to create homebrew apps and patches to improve the change the functionality of your phone, and how easy it is for users to install these programs. It really makes the phone feel like yours, and allows for faster response to user issues than a more centralized system like Apple's.

You're also in the right place to start learning about homebrew. Precentral is one of if not THE leader in bringing together the homebrew community for the Palm Pre. Check these forums, read some articles, and learn.

I like the Pre for the physical keyboard, the OS, the home brew apps and the physical size is good although I'd prefer if the Pre had a slightly bigger screen with better resolution. I don't like the build quality issues, short battery life and would prefer the Plus with double the RAM.
    Yeah, build quality and battery life...not so hot. The hardware is definitely the big downfall of this device. I suspect Palm had to cut corners a bit to keep the Pre profitable for them with their limited budget and unfortunately it shows.

It's clear that Palm did not use the highest quality materials when building this phone. Many people on this forum have had to replace their Pre's once, twice, or even more times. I'm still on my first Pre, but I have had various annoying hardware problems (phone gets stuck in headset mode and no other speakers will work, phone randomly shuts down when I close the slider, etc.)

Battery life is also a weakness. If you have a few apps that constantly update information, if you turn on GPS or Bluetooth, you will run down the battery very quickly - as in less than a workday. I'm able to get from the time I get up in the morning until I go to bed on one charge with light to moderate usage, but I'd better have that charger waiting by the bedside. I also use several battery-saving techniques to extend life (no GPS or bluetooth, only native apps polling for updates, and other options)

The biggest drawback is the Pre is only available from Bell and you either get the phone for free with a three year contract or pay $299 with no contract. Given the build quality issues I can't see the phone lasting three years plus it will be severely dated at the end of the contract.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, particularly from Bell users.
    Despite some gripes above, I'm happy with my purchase. The Pre offers a nice middle ground of decent productivity features and decent gaming. The OS is definitely second to none, and there are some very intelligent PIM features built into this phone.

If you've decided you really want the Pre, I'd suck it up and pay the off-contract price. Recent developments in the Pre/HP merger suggest that new hardware may be coming sooner rather than later, and I wouldn't want to be holding on to a Pre for 3 years when that happens.

Good luck with your choice!
    Last edited by kallan42; 07/28/2010 at 10:25 AM. Reason: added information and corrected typo