Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    so I loaded gmaps to find it load much quicker. Three flashes on wifi and 3-8 on evdo dependong on connection. I don't know about ant one else, but this is much faster for me. Can anyone else comfirm this? I did notice the version has been updated to 8.1 from 7.7.
    Mine is updated also but it's still slow. The animation flashed 28 times before it loaded up.
    I just tested it out and it's still loading, been little more than a minute. I might have to just stop it reload
    Still seems to take just as long.
    18 or 19 flashes to load.

8.1 here too.
    I've been sitting staring at the loading splash-screen for more than 20 seconds... and that's with Wifi on. No improvement here
    I think it's slow because it tries to find your general location before it will launch the map.
    With aGPS it takes awhile, wifi usually takes no time at all. Which would explain the launch difference.
  7. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    well, I am in san francisco as opposed to the east bay, but I'll be going home soon so I can update and see if I get the same results at home.
    Google Maps 8.1 on wifi loaded in about 6 flashes. It probably took another 30 - 45 seconds to get my location correct. But, I am sitting inside a brick building so slow GPS should be expected.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    It doesn't appear any faster for me.
    3.5 flashes on Wifi and 5 seconds to get my GPS.
    6 flashes on EVDO and 5 seconds to get my GPS.

I also have the "Turn GPS on with Google Maps". That could greatly affect the launch of Google Maps.
    Note that I have my CPU clocked to 800 MHz conservatively and some minor performance mods.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    I forgot i even had google maps,
    it takes more out the battery than it is of use.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Wow, I'm loading on 4 or 5 constantly on EVDO. Used to take forever. I'm curious which carrier people are on. I'm on Sprint.
    Sprint here. About 15 seconds (I have the sped up card animation patch so counting flashes doesnt help) to do a first-run load.
    9 seconds to do a second-run load.

running the Thunderchief kernel at 1Ghz.
    WOW.

Google maps consistently loads within 3 (sometimes even less) flashes for me. I'm running on a Pre Plus stock. This is fan-f*ckin-tastic!

How did the google maps get updated? We haven't even gotten the latest webos update yet.
    5 flashes to get map...still waiting (30 seconds or more) to get a location...but I'm sitting inside a building....let me walk outside.

OK another 30 seconds and I had a tower fix. All this on 3G, wifi turned off.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post
    WOW.

Google maps consistently loads within 3 (sometimes even less) flashes for me. I'm running on a Pre Plus stock. This is fan-f*ckin-tastic!

How did the google maps get updated? We haven't even gotten the latest webos update yet.
    Gmaps has nothing to do with ur carrier. It's from Google's servers, not Sprint, VZ etc, nor Palm.
    well I have no idea why some of you are getting increased speeds. I'm on sprint, with wifi, and the 1ghz kernal and it still takes all day for it to load. Mind you it is a tad quicker since I have F105 installed but regardless if I was running at stock speed the gmaps app would still take 15+ sec to open.

UPDATE: of course after I post this and then re-open gmaps it take 3 seconds to open. It seems to be doing this consistently now, maybe since I hadn't used gmaps in a few months the app wasn't updated for me until after the first time I opened it today. So now that it is on the new version it could be the reason why it is opening faster along side with this beast of a kernal!! =)
    Last edited by Stevesrjr86; 06/24/2010 at 04:02 PM.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Woooooo. what happened? GMaps used to take a minute (literally, one minute) at least to load. Now it just loaded up in 5 flashes of the logo. It has NEVER done that before. Did they tweak something??
    Quote Originally Posted by slope72 View Post
    Woooooo. what happened? GMaps used to take a minute (literally, one minute) at least to load. Now it just loaded up in 5 flashes of the logo. It has NEVER done that before. Did they tweak something??
    Google could have done some optimizing on their side with their server to work more friendly with WebOS. This would explain the update in version. Google did release a slew of Google Maps updates on the 23rd.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    So besides the quicker load time that some ppl are seeing, what exactly is new in this 8.1?
    I have it, but i don't see any changes at all.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast