Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    so I loaded gmaps to find it load much quicker. Three flashes on wifi and 3-8 on evdo dependong on connection. I don't know about ant one else, but this is much faster for me. Can anyone else comfirm this? I did notice the version has been updated to 8.1 from 7.7.
    You're absolutely right :0) ! 3 "flashes" on wifi, and 4-5 "flashes" on GSM. Running a german Pre in Denmark. Gosh now it's usable... ;0)
    WebOS still makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by slope72 View Post
    Woooooo. what happened? GMaps used to take a minute (literally, one minute) at least to load. Now it just loaded up in 5 flashes of the logo. It has NEVER done that before. Did they tweak something??
    .. hmm... maybe they had a friendly conversation with HP ;0)) ?
    WebOS still makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    So besides the quicker load time that some ppl are seeing, what exactly is new in this 8.1?
    I have it, but i don't see any changes at all.
    Just quicker load times is all I could find.
    Last edited by Abyssul; 06/24/2010 at 04:48 PM.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I'd love Maps to be faster, but even with the phone at 1GHz, it's still painfully slow. Grr, Google, Grr.
    google maps loaded up in like 5 seconds a couple months ago for me, I've noticed it getting slower and slower. I'd say google is throttling it for non-android users
    Honestly not trying to TC, but I wanted to say that the epic (fail) load times of google maps on my pre was one of the top reasons that pushed me to move to the EVO. I'm really glad to hear they may have fixed this issue on the pre, it was a serious pain point for me.
    It may be that my phone is running at 1ghz, but the map scrolling is much much smoother now. How bout people running closer to stock?
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    3.5 flashes on Wifi and 5 seconds to get my GPS.
    6 flashes on EVDO and 5 seconds to get my GPS.

I also have the "Turn GPS on with Google Maps". That could greatly affect the launch of Google Maps.
    Note that I have my CPU clocked to 800 MHz conservatively and some minor performance mods.
    it would be nice to have these times on my phone for maps lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    so how do you check version?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    much much faster, running @ 800MHz on WiFi 6 flashes fully loaded inside my house. Bell is my carrier.
    Some people are like a Slinky...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs
    How can they "tweak" something and you wont have to update it yourself?...i dont get it.
    It is tweaked on their servers, just like if sprint navigation were all of a sudden giving people much better driving results; those calculations are done on telenav servers, not on your pre. Google can do all sorts of changes to the software that serves the maps to your pre without having to update the app.
    New version #, but same old slow ^$$ Google Maps on mine. Took 20 flashes.
    where is the version # please
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    where is the version # please
    Click on menu, help and terms, then about.
    How in the world did you guys update?
    I get 8 to 12 flashes on Wifi and I'm running at 1ghz. But I ae the hper cad animations so the flashing is 4x as fast so it's really just 3 to 4.

Getting a GPS lock is another story...

A accurate lock almost never happens...
    mine is updated but its dang sure not any faster !!!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    How in the world did you guys update?
    Like I said just a few posts up, you dont update. Google made some changes to their software on their servers, nothing has changed on your phone, or any of ours.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    I get 8 to 12 flashes on Wifi and I'm running at 1ghz. But I ae the hper cad animations so the flashing is 4x as fast so it's really just 3 to 4.

Getting a GPS lock is another story...

A accurate lock almost never happens...
    Haha...Yup. GPS lock never happens for me either. Well, it rarely ever happens
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12