1.    #1  
    I got tired of watching my Pre's USB crack slowly make it's way towards the screen. Since I'm no longer with Sprint and have no insurance, I figured the best course of action would be to fix it myself. Here is what I did.

1. Using a drill bit, I started to drill into the end of the crack by hand.

2. After the hole was started, I put the bit into a little hand-held drill.

3. After a minute or so of very slowly drilling down, I was finished.

Now I just need to find a good material to fill the hole with.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Nice solution. You might also want to fill it with some epoxy. I smeared super glue on mine to stop it. The local Sprint Repair Center saw it and offered a swap, but it wasn't too bad at the time so I declined...and since have somewhat regretted it. No worries, super glue working fine (for now)
    Silly putty?

Sorry I'm not much of a materials guy... Going to have to keep this in mind if the dreaded USB crack ever starts to appear on my belov-ed Pre.

Just out of curiousity... why no longer with Sprint? Are you just using your phone for wifi? Did you somehow get your old phone transferred over to Verizon?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by runukraine View Post
    Silly putty?

Sorry I'm not much of a materials guy... Going to have to keep this in mind if the dreaded USB crack ever starts to appear on my belov-ed Pre.

Just out of curiousity... why no longer with Sprint? Are you just using your phone for wifi? Did you somehow get your old phone transferred over to Verizon?
    I've been using my Pre as a wifi device since last November. It still works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I've been using my Pre as a wifi device since last November. It still works great.
    Hah... two things I'll have to file away in my brain then. Good to hear.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Nice solution. You might also want to fill it with some epoxy. I smeared super glue on mine to stop it. The local Sprint Repair Center saw it and offered a swap, but it wasn't too bad at the time so I declined...and since have somewhat regretted it. No worries, super glue working fine (for now)
    Epoxy does sound like a good idea...

I was going to smear some super glue on it, but then decided on a more permanent fix lol.