Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    iPhone 4 came out.....Droid X was unveiled....what about webOS? I want something new for my phone. Anyone else feeling left out of the fun?
    Um.... No, not really. My phone works just as well as it did a month ago.
    no I don't feel left out . We've had an update to our phones at a rate of almost one per every month and a half. I'm happy.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    a new phone will be announced pretty soon, with updated hardware, besides l I love my pre, webOS still beats the cr** out of other OS's and it's only getting better!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgerblue View Post
    what about webOS? I want something new for my phone.
    Buy some apps! there 50% off you know.

My Pre Plus is all I need until the 2 year contract is out, then I will start looking at the latest WebOS device on the market!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I am super happy with my Sprint Pre..... seams like every day something new comes out or I find something else I want on my phone.

Waiting for this next update and the PDK app contest (still thinking we will see some new goodies come outta this). Then on the tails of that we have the merger completed, then we see what announcements come in August/September. Possible release November or December???? Or Q1 2011. (I know 2011 is longer than most think is feasible but I am keeping it realistic and realizing with HP Palm and WebOS no longer need to push something out quick, they have operating capital now). The OS will continue to develop on original launch devices as we lead up to new hardware somewhere in the time frame posted above.
    Until the merger is finalized, we won't hear anything. Too many legal battles going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    a new phone will be announced pretty soon, with updated hardware, besides l I love my pre, webOS still beats the cr** out of other OS's and it's only getting better!!!
    That pretty much sums up my thoughts, also.

While it's kinda fun to see all the new tech stuff come out, webOS and my Pre are still able to go head-to-head with any phone out there.

I heard someone bragging about the new iPhone OS and how it can "multitask!!" and how all email is integrated into one screen. I really wanted to say, "Palm's OS has had both (with REAL multitasking) since launch day over a year ago. Welcome to the club!"
    I think the OP is referring to hardware. At least that's how I read it. I'm ready for a new device for sure. Especially since i'm on my 4th Pre and it has major Oreo cookie action. But i'm with everyone else when it comes to WebOS. nothing beats it.
    I get kicks out of this anticipation period. We KNOW it's coming and we KNOW it'll be announced very soon (both hardware and software). It's the thrill of the chase
    I don't feel left out, just the opposite, I love my launch day Pre, over a year old and still works great! Add to that webOS and the webOS Internals team and I have no problem waiting until the next generation comes out from Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I am super happy with my Sprint Pre..... seams like every day something new comes out or I find something else I want on my phone.
    Wow, really? I was that way for the first four months or so when new patches were coming out left and right, people were still finding stuff new about the phone that nobody else knew,etc.

Lately, aside from updates to 1.4 in Feb, there has been a big drop off in the "new cool things coming out". Granted the overclocking stuff is nice, but, to have to void your warranty to make the phone more usable seems like the community is making up for Palm's mistakes.

I guess I don't feel left out -- my Pre still does everything I want it to do, but I too would like to hear some commitment from Palm about Sprint, or from Sprint about Palm. We all know that VZW and AT&T are on virtually every manufacturer's radar, but I am not getting a good vibe that we will see any new webOS devices on Sprint.

I know someone posted in another thread about the long rumored C40 device, but we've been living with that rumor for a VERY long time...
    I was just thinking that the Droid X is basically the second Droid which came out less than a year ago and it's already on it's 2nd hardware update. While the Pre been out for over an year and it's still the Pre.. I kind of know what the OP mean. I feel left out also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Wow, really? I was that way for the first four months or so when new patches were coming out left and right, people were still finding stuff new about the phone that nobody else knew,etc.
    Yup, for example yesterday getting to work, and being able to watch the US World Cup game in decent quality over 3G while being tethered to a desk. Have recently switched to Uber Calendar, love it. I consider myself to be a HEAVY user, and find myself poking around just trying stuff out to see if I like it or not. If I can find a use for it or not. So maybe that's what keeps the phone new to me. I still find people are finding new things about the phone and new patches or ways to better apply or enhance previous patches. Also with the PDK and new API's that will be coming out, patching and homebrew continues to be very interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    I was just thinking that the Droid X is basically the second Droid which came out less than a year ago and it's already on it's 2nd hardware update. While the Pre been out for over an year and it's still the Pre.. I kind of know what the OP mean. I feel left out also.
    See and when I was reading about Droid X first thing I thought is I would feel left out if I had bought the original Droid a few months ago. I know the pace of mobile development is CRAZY, but I would still take my Pre over the original Droid and wouldn't like to be stuck with a phone that is already obsolete by it's own manufacturers standards.

Then again I am one of those folks that think it's gonna be interesting to see where Android is going to be in the next year or 2. Gonna be a lot of outdated hardware out there, and various specs to develop for. I am looking for Apple to pick up some Android defectors when the surge Android is experiencing right now dies down do to the reasons above. Android will continue to be great for those that want to pay for the biggest and best thing of the moment every 3 to 6 months.... but this is a SMALL minority of the mobile market.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    The Droid X is just a Droid with better specs sort of like the Pre and Pre Plus or the Pixi and the Pixi Plus. If you look at it like that we had four hardware updates in a little over six months.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I think it would be stupid of Palm to announce anything for at least a couple of weeks. The biggest mistake Palm made was by announcing the Pre before the 3GS last year and that ended up taking away all the lime light from the Pre. This year all the big phones have all released and if Palm waits until all the craze over the iPhone dies down then they can capitalize on being the only and newest phone coming to market. They don't need to worry about iPhone or android coming out with a new device to one up any new features that they will add. Also, lets not forget any announcement made before at least the vote on the HP acquisition happens (tomorrow) could be seen as improper.

We have 1.4.5 and flash to look forward to in near future. Then there are the big update in the fall and opening up of some major apis to devs. So Palm is still growing and soon enough we will have new hardware to salivate over.
  17.    #17  
    Don't get me wrong everyone.....I still love my Pre and am very happy with it. Homebrew has been instrumental in improving the functionality of my Pre and webOS is truly an amazing OS. I guess my original post was more of a stream-of-consciousness type thing because I had just read about iPhone 4 release and Droid X and it left me thinking "Man...I want something new too!" Kinda like when you were a kid and your buddy got a new toy, you wanted it too. All this to say, it'll be nice when the next update comes out and when new webOS hardware is announced. You know....something to look forward to.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    I've used the iPhone 4, the new popular BlackBerry 9838967, and the Evo in the past few days. All of them suck much *** compared to my Pre. I couldn't even get the Evo on our campus WiFi... (Not user error, just doesn't handle our 802.1x auth very well).

So no I don't feel left out. I think I would if I had one of those other phones.
    with Palm and the Pre, waiting is just something you get used to lol. Back in feb we were all running around checking our updates daily waiting for vid recording and editing. Lol now it seems like flash. But no I don't feel left out. My Pre still gets the job done
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    See and when I was reading about Droid X first thing I thought is I would feel left out if I had bought the original Droid a few months ago. I know the pace of mobile development is CRAZY, but I would still take my Pre over the original Droid and wouldn't like to be stuck with a phone that is already obsolete by it's own manufacturers standards.

Then again I am one of those folks that think it's gonna be interesting to see where Android is going to be in the next year or 2. Gonna be a lot of outdated hardware out there, and various specs to develop for. I am looking for Apple to pick up some Android defectors when the surge Android is experiencing right now dies down do to the reasons above. Android will continue to be great for those that want to pay for the biggest and best thing of the moment every 3 to 6 months.... but this is a SMALL minority of the mobile market.
    I don't think I could agree more with you. The trouble with buying an Android these days is that, no matter how great your Evo seems now, it's going to look so ridiculously yesterday in three months, when the next wave of phones come along, and even worse in six months, when it's not getting an update to Gingerbread because the manufacturers aren't looking to give old handsets access to new OS versions; they're looking to give users of "old" (six months old) handsets more reason to switch to the newest one.

In Appleland, the pace is: another year, another device. And it just makes so much sense. No user is more than a generation away from what's newest and coolest - 12-month plan users can upgrade to the new phone when their contract runs out, 24-monthers always 'jump' a generation.

I wouldn't mind one bit if HP followed a similar roadmap in the future - and it would make lots of sense for them, too. I do think that HP will offer a wider selection of handsets though, just to have 'something for everybody', and I could well imagine tiered releases of different phones, with recurring one-year updates to each line of phones.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast