Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    She says, well I cant do that, but I can send you a NEW PHONE with a new battery, would you like that??
    OK, this is a flashback to a few years back. I had a Treo 600, and the 650 had been out about 4 months.

I called Sprint about some billing issue, and got it resolved. I got a followup call just like you did, and got the same scripted question "Is there anything else I can help you with?"

Believe it or not (and I know some of you will be totally shocked by this), I can be something of a smart-A sometimes. I said "Sure, you can replace my Treo 600 with a 650".

She said "Let me see what I can do" and put me on hold. She came back with the then current $250 plus a new contract offer. I told her "That's not what I had in mind, I could have done that without help. I was thinking free". She said she couldn't do it for $250, but offered $200. I told her if she could drop it down to $150, I'd do it. She said OK.

Then it got really interesting. She asked for my CC #, and I told her I didn't have it with me (my wife keeps the CC, she's no fool). I told her I'd take her employee ID #, and be sure to give her credit when I called back. She asked me to wait just a moment, then came back on the line and gave me the phone free!

I verified several times, no fee, and a simple contract renewal. She confirmed.

Then I sold my 600 on here.

Sometimes, things work nicely.
  2.    #22  
    Hmmm I guess I could have taken the free phone, taken the battery out, and sent back the free phone??

I guess I was concerned it would come pre activated, but in looking back, that probably would not have been the case.

Oh well, I ordered a hi-capacity battery, and Im still loving my almost one year old , issue free, Pre
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    OK, this is a flashback to a few years back. I had a Treo 600, and the 650 had been out about 4 months.

I called Sprint about some billing issue, and got it resolved. I got a followup call just like you did, and got the same scripted question "Is there anything else I can help you with?"

Believe it or not (and I know some of you will be totally shocked by this), I can be something of a smart-A sometimes. I said "Sure, you can replace my Treo 600 with a 650".

She said "Let me see what I can do" and put me on hold. She came back with the then current $250 plus a new contract offer. I told her "That's not what I had in mind, I could have done that without help. I was thinking free". She said she couldn't do it for $250, but offered $200. I told her if she could drop it down to $150, I'd do it. She said OK.

Then it got really interesting. She asked for my CC #, and I told her I didn't have it with me (my wife keeps the CC, she's no fool). I told her I'd take her employee ID #, and be sure to give her credit when I called back. She asked me to wait just a moment, then came back on the line and gave me the phone free!

I verified several times, no fee, and a simple contract renewal. She confirmed.

Then I sold my 600 on here.

Sometimes, things work nicely.
    That's kinda how I got my newest Pre for $50...lol...They started out at $200, then I just kept saying NO, and casually throwing in a little something about how I could get a free one if I signed up with Verizon...and after going back and forth and me saying "No thanks, but I appreciate the offer" several times, she came back with the $50 offer. I think it also helps to either sound sad or pathetic over the phone, OR use the Chat, which is what I did. And that isn't the first time...I got my previous Centro for free, my wife's old BB for free, and a couple of years ago - DON'T LAUGH - I got two Katana's for free as well. So while it may be a pain in the **** to jump through a few conversational hoops, I think Sprint is SWELL.

(and honestly, I've been with them for 7 years, and they are getting better and better...and their plan prices have surprisingly gotten lower than Verizon and most others that I know of..)
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    i think you are a stand up person for not taking advantage of the situation..
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    i think you are a stand up person for not taking advantage of the situation..
    Is accepting an offer really "taking advantage"?
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    I've been with Sprint for over 10 years and whenever I get a new phone (all the Treos, for example, the Pre), I just ask the guys at the local Sprint store for an extra battery. They say no problem and that's that.

Maybe I'm just lucky to have a great store manager at my local store....?
  7.    #27  
    Hmm come to think of it, I do recall once, being at the Sprint Store, for something else, and asking about a battery and they did give me one.

Maybe a lil trip over to the store, I can at least get a fresh battery, and wait for my new hi-cap one to arrive.
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

My suggestion.... either go into your sprint store, many folks have gotten battery exchanges pain free. OR call Palm, they should honor the battery under the 1 year warrenty and even if out of warrenty there is a good chance they will give you a battery.

Both Palm and Sprint and probably EVERYONE have plenty of Pre batteries around from all the Centro units that were and are still being moved over the years.

Ahhh ya posted while I was typing..... anyways, haven't needed a battery yet (still have our 2 centro batteries too). But I have heard good things.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    I just wanted to make sure that you was able to get a new battery. Or are you still in need of one?
    Hmm come to think of it, I do recall once, being at the Sprint Store, for something else, and asking about a battery and they did give me one.

Maybe a lil trip over to the store, I can at least get a fresh battery, and wait for my new hi-cap one to arrive.
    You might want to take advantage of this.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    I called Sprint yesterday to get some info about my battery. It seems to be dyeing, and I just wanted some specs about it, to look for a new one, perhaps a higher capacity one.

The gal I spoke to was fairly clueless, but eventually gave me what I needed, ok , day goes on.

So, last night about 10pm I get a call from Sprint, saying they were just following up on my call from earlier, and were all my issues resolved. I said, I guess so, but the person I spoke to was not really well trained to field questions. Of course the usual "sorry for your inconvenience" script was read to me, then followed by, "Is there anything else I can do for you"

so, ME, in my ever hopeful, somewhat humorous way, said, sure, you can send me a new battery...

HERE is where the head shaking stupid comes in...

She says, well I cant do that, but I can send you a NEW PHONE with a new battery, would you like that??

Im like ***??? Are you kidding me? The PHONE is FINE, I JUST need a battery?

At that point she was too baffled to answer and said she could only send a phone not a battery.

Just thought that was just the silliest digression of a request for a battery..
    How about: Precentral Store. Buy battery. Problem solved. Hell, get yourself the longer lasting one. End of story. A thread got started for this? Seriously? RESEARCH!
    The rep's offer makes sense to me, since VZW does the same thing. The phones are warranted and can be replaced, but the batteries are not. VZW will send you a phone without charger and battery, but not sure if Sprint does the same thing.
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    Quote Originally Posted by dagumcp View Post
    The rep's offer makes sense to me, since VZW does the same thing. The phones are warranted and can be replaced, but the batteries are not. VZW will send you a phone without charger and battery, but not sure if Sprint does the same thing.
    All in box accessories (including the battery) come with the same warranty as the phone. Which is typically a limited 1 year hardware warranty.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Ya the phone would have been free. But why would I want a new phone? I LOVE my Pre just the way it is, I have it set up just the way I LOVE it, its patched to the hilt, its OC'd, its full of homebrews, and it has no issues, but the battery. I dont want to have to take the chance of a worse re furb, or even a brand new one, that I have to start from scratch..
    Why not just take the battery out of the replacement phone, and send the replacement with the bad battery back? Assuming they want a phone returned, of course.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    *FacePalm*
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    I've been with Sprint for over 10 years and whenever I get a new phone (all the Treos, for example, the Pre), I just ask the guys at the local Sprint store for an extra battery. They say no problem and that's that.

Maybe I'm just lucky to have a great store manager at my local store....?
    har har on that one i did the same thing with the pre and centro before that I have 4 centro battery's and about a dozen pre battery's they just gave me a whole slew of them i was on a trip a while back they were all new sealed in the package and they were not the bad battery's
    What's her extension? I want to call and ask for a kiss.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    All in box accessories (including the battery) come with the same warranty as the phone. Which is typically a limited 1 year hardware warranty.
    Good call. Extended warranty covers the phone only.
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    You could take the extra phone, not activate it, and just use it as an MP3 player or for wi-fi.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Buy a 1400 mugen power one. End topic.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Giving out all these free/low priced phones might be why Sprint has been struggling all these years.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast