1.    #1  
    greetings everyone - i've been lurking here for a bit as i decided if i wanted to dump my iphone for a palm pre plus through verizon...

well, i got my new pre plus via fedex today, and really like what i see so far, with one exception... i have what i can only describe as a light splotch in the lower right hand corner of the display. it appears like there is too much light bleeding through.

by the time i got a chance to unpack it, the verizon support lines were closed, but i'm curious; even though i bought this via the online verizon store, should i be able to work with my local verizon retail store to get a replacement on the spot? and hopefully for no money out of pocket (ie. the "exchange" fee)?

either way, i already feel like this is a nicer setup than my 3gs - just need to get the screen issue resolved.

-matt
    I would be the first in line tomorrow. If they can't just swap the phone, no questions asked, then I would just return it and RUN to a Sprint store. lol.

Welcome to the family and good luck at the store.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    I would be the first in line tomorrow. If they can't just swap the phone, no questions asked, then I would just return it and RUN to a Sprint store. lol.

Welcome to the family and good luck at the store.
    thanks for the reply and the welcome.

part of the reason i switched to verizon is because i can get a 20% discount on rates and add-ons. so moving to sprint, even though i've been hearing good things lately, probably isn't in the cards. i just hope i get a cool verizon rep at the store tomorrow.
    Oh, you have quality issues with a Pre? I never heard of that before, ha ha ah!
    pray your new one doesn't have the same problem, I'm on my second one and it's been a month and they both had the problem your describing. the first one would turn off by itself tho...
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    My girlfriend went in to replace hers Monday. The Verizon rep said they would overnight her a "new" one. It's Thursday afternoon and she's still waiting. And from what a friend who works at Verizon says, it will be a refurb.
    the VZ store near me swapped my device with a brand new one right away. Granted, the customer service there seems to be pretty darn good compared to other stores.

I have some light leakage on mine as well but it only happens when I've been using it while it's charged and gets pretty warm. Once it's cools down the blotches go away. I just decided to live with it, cuz everything else seems to work fine and dandy, and I don't wanna risk getting a refurb like many other people have mentioned before.
    Quote Originally Posted by blz2 View Post
    My girlfriend went in to replace hers Monday. The Verizon rep said they would overnight her a "new" one. It's Thursday afternoon and she's still waiting. And from what a friend who works at Verizon says, it will be a refurb.
    That rep fooled you. I've worked with customer service enough to see that they said that just to make you happy. Most "overnight" shippings usually take a few days before they will call you.

It will 95% be a refurbished phone which isn't bad. There has been no correlation or distinction with hardware quality between refurbished and new.

The light leakage is correlated with heat though as many have pointed though

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  9.    #9  
    thanks everyone for the replies. after several email exchanges with verizon customer service, i was able to get an assurance that i could get my online order replaced at any verizon direct store.

i wanted to have a paper trail at least, since i wouldn't have time to hit the local store before leaving for vacation.

it's definitely heat related, as others mentioned. any time the back starts getting warm, the blotch becomes more and more clear. if it's on the touchstone, it becomes particularly noticeable.

really liking the device/os so far though; defects be damned.
    OP, you should be able to exchange your Pre Plus at a store if you're within your 30 days - doesn't matter where you bought your device from. I'd insist on a new device, that's what I received in my first 30 days. One of my returns had the splotching you're seeing - I'm on my 9th - with your replacement, if you see missing or duplicate characters when you type, return it. My 9th has had no issues with keying errors, it's the first - and my last Palm device. WebOS is pretty slick but my next VZW device will be a dumb phone/WinMo 7/BBOS 6 before I buy another Palm. If you go through more than a few, bite the bullet and pick another device ASAP and never look back!