Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. jraw23's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
       #1  
    So earlier today all of a sudden the touchscreen on my pre became completely non-responsive. I have been having problems with the touchscreen acting strange(being either overly or under sensitive) in the past and I am pretty convinced that it is a dud and I need to call sprint and get a replacement. The problem is that I am leaving on a business trip and I would like to have my phone with me.

    I decided after pulling the battery a few times and doing a reset that I should probably try to doctor my phone. I connected my phone normally to the USB port and ran webos doctor (I am running XP and I have the latest webos doctor available) My computer had trouble finding the pre so after searching this forum I found out how to put it into recover mode manually. Now webos doctor is able to find my phone, but after sitting idle at 4% for a few minutes it comes up with an error message and says that my phone has disconnected even though I have not unplugged it from my computer or turned it off.

    I am pretty much out of ideas now. Does anyone have any suggestions to at least allow me to get it up and running for tomorrow. I plan on having sprint send me a new phone as soon as I return but I kind of need this one to work in the interim. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    ~Jon
  2. #2  
    I'm not too sure, honestly. For now, you should keep attempting to Doctor it...

    Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will pop in here with some advice.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  3. jraw23's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I'm not too sure, honestly. For now, you should keep attempting to Doctor it...

    Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will pop in here with some advice.
    I read online that I should try it on another computer, so I am downloading webos doctor on my laptop and I am going to give that a shot. Hopefully, keeping my fingers crossed, it will work and my phone will be back to normal.
  4. #4  
    I had my screen go bad on me in the same manor. I walked in a Sprint "service center" store and they gave me a swap. It took about 30 mins overall. At least then you will have a fully working phone for your trip. Good luck.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

    HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  5. jraw23's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    I had my screen go bad on me in the same manor. I walked in a Sprint "service center" store and they gave me a swap. It took about 30 mins overall. At least then you will have a fully working phone for your trip. Good luck.
    Yeah I know but my phone literally died about an hour ago and I am leaving at 6am. The closest sprint store to me doesnt open until 10am, so unfortunately it wont be that easy.

    After messing around with my computer I finally got it to doctor my phone, but unfortunately it did not solve the touchscreen problem. Now I have no way of even activating the phone because that process requires the touchscreen.

    Also, does anyone know a way to wipe my phone clear of everything that was saved on the usb partition so when I take it into the sprint store I will be able to give them a device that does not contain any of my personal information.
  6. #6  
    Orange+Sym+U to go into usb mode and then just delete any files
  7. jraw23's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    Orange+Sym+U to go into usb mode and then just delete any files
    I tried that, however, my phone is stuck at the activation menu. I have no one of proceeding through this because my phone's touchscreen is non-responsive. Is there any other way possible to access the usb partition?
  8. #8  
    I wonder if a meta-doctor allows for activation without the touchscreen since it allows activation without service...
  9. jraw23's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    I wonder if a meta-doctor allows for activation without the touchscreen since it allows activation without service...
    I'm not sure. Oh well, at this point there is really nothing I can do. I gotta get to bed so I can be somewhat rested to drive. Hopefully I will run into a sprint store on the way and will be able to get a new phone. It will be a little strange to have a "stock" pre though. It has been a while since I have had mine like that.


    Thanks everyone for the advice, I will be sure to let everyone know what happens.

    And you can chalk this one down as another reason why I love this community so much, thanks again.
  10. #10  
    Someone having issues with a Pre, that's new to me ha ha ha!
  11. jraw23's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
       #11  
    Thanks for the tip on how to bypass activation but I didn't read it until after I went to the sprint store.

    I was there for about 45 mins and they gave me a brand new pre, however, i already have to take it back and return it because the microphone does not work properly. This is sort of beginning to annoy me...
  12. jraw23's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
       #12  
    So I went to the sprint store today to return the new pre I got, because it was defective, and they replaced it right away for me. The only thing is on this one the power button was broke right out of the box. The lady had the tech "fix" the power button for me and went through the activation process. The power button still appears to be broken, and I cannot even slide the screen back over the keyboard because the power button is crooked and blocks it from closing properly. I called customer service through sprint and had them send me one in the mail.

    So that is a total of three pre's I have gone through this week. I am hoping that the one customer service sends to me is in working condition, but if it is does not work properly is there anyone that anyone knows of the have them send me a brand new one in the mail? I have a bad feeling about the refurbished pre's and sprints quality control seeing as two replacements were defective out of the box. Has this happened to anyone else?

    I'm really hoping that come July 1st we will be receiving some information regarding a new handset. I love webos, but I am starting to lose faith with the hardware.
  13. irondust's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jraw23 View Post
    So I went to the sprint store today to return the new pre I got, because it was defective, and they replaced it right away for me. The only thing is on this one the power button was broke right out of the box. The lady had the tech "fix" the power button for me and went through the activation process. The power button still appears to be broken, and I cannot even slide the screen back over the keyboard because the power button is crooked and blocks it from closing properly. I called customer service through sprint and had them send me one in the mail.

    So that is a total of three pre's I have gone through this week. I am hoping that the one customer service sends to me is in working condition, but if it is does not work properly is there anyone that anyone knows of the have them send me a brand new one in the mail? I have a bad feeling about the refurbished pre's and sprints quality control seeing as two replacements were defective out of the box. Has this happened to anyone else?

    I'm really hoping that come July 1st we will be receiving some information regarding a new handset. I love webos, but I am starting to lose faith with the hardware.
    I hate seeing this type of thread. I understand things break. To get a replacement Pre with a broken microphone right out of the box sucks but again it happens.

    But to be in the Sprint store and the Sprint employee see's the power button is broken right out of the box? She has tech guy fix it? I wouldn't accept a broken product of any sort as a replacent. That phone should have not been given to you. She should grab you another phone that is working properly at that point.

    We're bound to our contracts and pay alot of money to use the service. Its just wrong for the carrier to issue junk as replacements. I'm seeing way too many threads like this.
  14. jraw23's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by irondust View Post
    I hate seeing this type of thread. I understand things break. To get a replacement Pre with a broken microphone right out of the box sucks but again it happens.

    But to be in the Sprint store and the Sprint employee see's the power button is broken right out of the box? She has tech guy fix it? I wouldn't accept a broken product of any sort as a replacent. That phone should have not been given to you. She should grab you another phone that is working properly at that point.

    We're bound to our contracts and pay alot of money to use the service. Its just wrong for the carrier to issue junk as replacements. I'm seeing way too many threads like this.
    Those are my thoughts exactly. If any smaller company were to treat their customers like that they would be out of business. I too understand that not all products made are going to be absolutely perfect, but to receive two in a row that are defective makes me think sprint's idea of quality control, and palm's to a point, are pretty low. My feeling is, and i know this might cause problems, is that these employees do not really care about customers that have faulty devices because the are not able to make commission on customers like myself. The first day I was there a very nice gentleman was helping me out, but as soon as he heard another customer talking about buying accessories in bulk, he left me to talk to him. We have a lot of lines, and buy a lot of phones through my company, and I feel that the majority of reps, at least in this store, do not care about their customers unless their is money coming their way. I know not all employees feel this way, but all of the ones I interacted with definitely did not impress me or leave a good feeling about the company they represent.(sorry for the vent)

    Jon

Posting Permissions