Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I installed Preware a few months ago and love how I have been able to customize settings on my phone. When a new WebOS update comes out, I have been told I should uninstall the patches I have, update, then reinstall. Is this true, and if so how easy is it? I just want to make sure any future updates arent interrupted with the stuff that I have added to the phone.

Any insight would be perfect!

Thanks guys
    ALWAYS uninstall any patches or themes from your webOS device before updating. your phone could totally brick up if you don't o.o and you DONT want that.
    to uninstall any patches,

open preware
    go to the "installed packages" section
    go to patches
    click each one seperately, and "remove" them
    and luna restart after removing the last patch
    or

open preware
    click on the "list of everything"
    type in "emergency"
    click on the "emergency patch recovery" and "install"
    (after the luna restart, all patches should be GONE)

or
    open WOSqi on your pc/mac
    put your webOS device into dev mode
    connect via usb and click "just charge"
    click "file">"device management" in the WOSqi menu
    then delete patches as necessary in the last box dialogue

to remove patches, the process is basically the same

if any further assistance is needed, please refer to this article:
    http://www.precentral.net/how-add-ho...hes-and-themes
    Quote Originally Posted by cmilette View Post
    ALWAYS uninstall any patches or themes from your webOS device before updating. your phone could totally brick up if you don't o.o and you DONT want that.

open preware
    go to the "installed packages" section
    go to patches
    click each one seperately, and "remove" them
    and luna restart after removing the last patch
    or

open preware
    click on the "list of everything"
    type in "emergency"
    click on the "emergency patch recovery" and "install"
    (after the luna restart, all patches should be GONE)

or
    open WOSqi on your pc/mac
    put your webOS device into dev mode
    connect via usb and click "just charge"
    click "file">"device management" in the WOSqi menu
    then delete patches as necessary in the last box dialogue

to remove patches, the process is basically the same

if any further assistance is needed, please refer to this article:
    http://www.precentral.net/how-add-ho...hes-and-themes
    Patches in Preware are AUPT so can be left on. Just remove themes.
    There is no need to reomve patches that you installed from Preware. You might want to unistall ones that are not in preware however.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Perfect!! Thank you so much
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Patches in Preware are AUPT so can be left on. Just remove themes.
    There is no need to reomve patches that you installed from Preware. You might want to unistall ones that are not in preware however.

Well thats interesting. I have zero themes and Im fairly certain that all my patches are from preware. Anyway to verify this?

I just dont want to brick the phone. 100% sure to leave all preware found patches while installing? Anything else I should do besides "update" when a new WebOS update is available?

Thank you both!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmilette View Post

ok so while it's great you are trying to help some of your info is either out dated, or just plain inncorrect.

I am in bed on my pre now so I cannot write a full on response but

1 you cannot "brick" your pre with patches it's practically impossible.

2 patches need not be removed due to AUPT as pip said.

for the best source of info read here http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...tch_Technology

also the thread pip links to has good info in it, though it is a little old.
    Last edited by windzilla; 06/23/2010 at 10:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AS4k View Post
    Well thats interesting. I have zero themes and Im fairly certain that all my patches are from preware. Anyway to verify this?

I just dont want to brick the phone. 100% sure to leave all preware found patches while installing? Anything else I should do besides "update" when a new WebOS update is available?

Thank you both!
    Almost forgot I had this bookmarked
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/243145-warning-action-take-before-installing-firmware-updates.html

To check your patches are safe you can run the emergency file verification in Preware. Just install it and then when it removes itself just take a look at the log file.
    I never uninstall patches because you don't have to. Just themes.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Oh yay a nice log file :P

I think to be safe I'll uninstall all of them (I really dont have many). Reinstall should be painless though by using the saved package list? I did notice that not all of my patches are on the saved list though.

I think to be safe I'll uninstall all of them (I really dont have many). Reinstall should be painless though by using the saved package list? I did notice that not all of my patches are on the saved list though.
    Just hit the update button at the bottom corner when in the saved package list and they should show up.

you really don't need to remove them all, just run the emergency file verification tool to ensure everything is in working order. No need to be over complicating things with log files. If removing individually for that extra piece of mind is a rout you want to go, then that's fine too, but not a necessary step.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Just hit the update button at the bottom corner when in the saved package list and they should show up.
    Wow, that was easy, thanks! Seems cut and dry what to do when the next update comes out.

Thank you everybody here for the quick responses, its greatly appreciated
    O.K., I ran the EFV in Preware and found the dreaded files in RED. (See attached files.)

However, I'm running Windows 7 on my new PC. I have not been able to connect to WebOS Quick Install or WebOS Repair Utility vis USB. The software always tells me to connect the Pre, but I've already put it in Dev. mode and "Just Charge" etc.

So, is there a way to get rid of the bad/red files just from my Pre?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I would first download the palm sdk and then try your phone again, at the least you will be able to command line your pre.

However if you still can't get them going then it is possible to email yourself the correct file and then rewrite it all on the pre through terminal. Though you will need to know the command prompts for doing it.

You can also try to find out what package would cause the corruption. (I don't think you should worry about theflashing-progress file, I seem to remember that a few people, including myself had this)
    Hi Pip!
    Some questions from the rookie here:

1) O.K., where do I/how do I to download the "sdk"?

2) are you saying to e-mail myself the WebOS Quick Install or WebOS Repair Utility? And what do you mean by "rewrite it all on the pre through terminal"? And where do I find the command prompts--in this thread above?

3) How do I find out which packages caused the corruption, exactly?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    Hi Pip!
    Some questions from the rookie here:

1) O.K., where do I/how do I to download the "sdk"?

2) are you saying to e-mail myself the WebOS Quick Install or WebOS Repair Utility? And what do you mean by "rewrite it all on the pre through terminal"? And where do I find the command prompts--in this thread above?

3) How do I find out which packages caused the corruption, exactly?

Thanks!
    1) Go to developer.palm.com and download the sdk.

2)I'd ignore this if your not that comfortable with command line and such, I'm not that great at it so don't know the exact steps in my head.

3) Well you can discard the mount.blacklist.so and flashing progress
    Just got to figure out the other two. You can try using the repair utility to restore them though. http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-software/236486-webos-repair-utility-v2-1-a.html

I should imagine you wouldn't have any issues if you were to update your pre right now, so don't worry to much, but it would be better if you clear up those two files.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Ok, Im back with another question (go figure, right?).

I ran the emergency file tool like I said above and got an entry that I am unsure if I should take action with. I cant figure out how to take a screenshot and get it online (did some searching too, Im somewhat of a computer flake, I work on cars). I realize themes should be removed, and I had the iphone theme for a day, I didnt like it. It took some work to get rid of it, and it appears the Sprint Nav icon didnt revert back to normal. Now when I run the emergency file app I get this error, its the first one, the rest are patches "package: com.prethemer.themes.5edc52a8b0 apt". I ran my WebOS Quick Install tool and I have the original theme listed. Am I good to go, theme wise? I should be but wasnt sure when I saw that in the ipk log.

On a side note, is there an easy way to take screenshots and upload directly, or must I upload to a pc then to the net?

Lots of great help here
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    This post is SO wrong you should really consider removing it.
    Any newbie dropping by for a quick answer will just stop reading at post 2, and do all the wrong things to his Pre for all the wrong reasons.
    I'll x2 that!
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Anybody have any idea on my question 3 posts up?
    Anybody have any idea on my question 3 posts up?
    Are you talking about the uploading a screenshot question or the other part?

If you use photobucket, you could always use their text/e-mail msg uploader, I have been using it since my centro. Have the link to my account saved as the contact Photo so I could quickly upload a photo from the Centro haven't used it on the Pre yet, since most of my pics now go to FB.

If you are talking about uploading it to the site, I haven't tried it so I couldn't tell you. But if you send it to photobucket, I believe someone else posted they use a twitpic app (could be way off on that but something similar if not twitpic) to upload their screenshots.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast