Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Both parts actually. I usually upload pics to FB too. How would I go about just taking a screen shot? Can you take a screen shot and directly upload it to FB?

As for the emergency ipk log, if you take a look at my other post it lists an error with a theme, but I am back to the original theme. I should be fine as far as updating the new WebOS, correct?

Nice handle, Im a huge old Audi/VW buff. Owned 4 Audi 4000's and work on them regularly, same with Mk1 and Mk2 VW's. They are my passion (older German cars, that is).
    once you take a screen shot, it shows up in your photos so yeah you could upload to FB if you like..... orange(or grey on + models)+sym+p ..... it will take a screen shot, it will then show a folder in your photos app called screen shots, and they will all be in there with all the options of your normal photos.

I will have to look at your theme removal later, but without looking at the ipkg you should be fine if you are back to stock. I had a theme error trying to reinstall after an update back in october or november, I had gotten back to stock but couldn't install a theme. I used webosqi (could now use internalz now too), to delete the folder and it fixed everything.

edit: I just did a quick re-read of your post. I am far from an expert on theme issues (other than the one I mentioned above). You also have the option of running Jason's WebOS Repair Utility. I haven't had to use it up to this point, but if you search repair utility in these forums you will find all the info you could want about it. Lots of people have used it successfully, and it should fix your one Icon issue. I can't think of any real "danger" you are in at this point..... but I can't think of a reason why deleting that prethemer directory would hurt if you are already looking at the stock theme. Like I said this is all from my experience though, and I always test on my phone before I implement on the wifes.

The ipkg error I was getting was because the new theme saw the folder for the previous theme (and possibly some files) so it wouldn't install. Once the folder was deleted all was good.

As far as the VW's/Audi's...... I was just thinking earlier I want another Audi 400, my second car was a MINT 82 Audi 4000S. My grandparents had garaged it and after17 ish years I think it had like 60-80k on it. Car was clean as hell, minus one golf ball dent on the hood (my grandpa used to golf and it got hit by a stray from the driving range back when it was newish) and one cig burn in the interior (I think it was drivers seat, my grandma had been a smoker for years back in the day). Currently I have an 81 Rabbit Project car in my backyard that I really need to finish so I can drive..... I also have a garage and an office closet full of car parts (seats MK1, MK2, MK4, mint MK1 Jetta dash, the rabbit has a mint MK1 Rabbit dash in it covered with a towel)..... etc (I could really go on for DAYS, love my damn VW's).
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 06/26/2010 at 08:26 PM.
    Regarding the above exchange inserted here:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    Hi Pip!
    Some questions from the rookie here:

1) O.K., where do I/how do I to download the "sdk"?

2) are you saying to e-mail myself the WebOS Quick Install or WebOS Repair Utility? And what do you mean by "rewrite it all on the pre through terminal"? And where do I find the command prompts--in this thread above?

3) How do I find out which packages caused the corruption, exactly?

Thanks!
    1) Go to developer.palm.com and download the sdk.

2)I'd ignore this if your not that comfortable with command line and such, I'm not that great at it so don't know the exact steps in my head.

3) Well you can discard the mount.blacklist.so and flashing progress
    Just got to figure out the other two. You can try using the repair utility to restore them though. http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ty-v2-1-a.html

I should imagine you wouldn't have any issues if you were to update your pre right now, so don't worry to much, but it would be better if you clear up those two files.
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand much of that. But, O.K., if I'm not mistaken, here's the basic question:

Given that WebOS Repair Utility will not recognize my Pre from my PC (Windows 7), how do I repair those suspicious files from the Pre only? Please be gentle and walk me through step-by-step if any of y'all have the time.

Thanks!
    *Bump*
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    I believe that Pip suggested you download the sdk to get Novacom running on your machine so that you could use the WebOS Repair Utility. You can also open WebOS Quick Install and retry installing Novacom. This is your preferred option.

The other option Pip mentioned involves accessing Linux and rewriting directly to your device. You don't want to try that unless you know what you're doing. That's an advanced-level maneuver you shouldn't take on with some step-by-step instructions in a thread post. You can seriously bork your phone if you make a mistake.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
    this might be a stupid question but I just had to replace my phone for the first time. I reinstalled preware but I am unable to access any available packages. I was able to for a minute but the themes were not there so I unistalled it and reinstalled it and now available packages is grayed out...what am I missing?
    Themes by default is turned off, so you would need to go into the manage feeds section and turn on feeds. Other than that, I would try hitting the update feed option. To get the other feeds back.
    I believe that Pip suggested you download the sdk to get Novacom running on your machine so that you could use the WebOS Repair Utility. You can also open WebOS Quick Install and retry installing Novacom. This is your preferred option.
    Not to pick on cas_esp (and I do appreciate the attempt to help!), but this is a good example of how IT technical experts fail to understand how to communicate to the rest of us and why threads like this (not just @ PreCentral) go on so long: lack of specific steps and detailed explanations. For example, I don't know which "machine" your referring to (PC or Pre?) and I don't know how to "retry installing Novacom" after opening Quick Install.

Anyway, I downloaded the SDK (and the required VirtualBox etc.). It then says to verify the installation of the SDK by first opening the emulator. This I cannot do: it looks like a Command Prompt Window (with black background, right?) briefly flashes before disappearing. So I'm stuck at this point.

Anyone with suggestions to get to the point where I can run the Repair Utility and get rid of the bad (RED) files and be ready for the update? Or should I just forget it all as pip alluded to and install the update and hope my Pre doesn't self-destruct?!

By the way, I discovered I have a "novacom" folder and file under the "Palm, Inc." folder in Program files. However, when I try to open the standalone file--"novacom.exe," I get the brief flash and disappearing act again. Going to Quick Install and clicking "Add File" and selecting these same novacom folders under "Palm, Inc." in Program Files does no good--the extensions are not the ones Quick Install is looking for.
    i wouldnt think so, but would uber and govnah need to be removed before updating?
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    here's a quesion. Do you have to uninstall the uberkernel before updating? I have been told no. Just want to confirm. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by csal80 View Post
    here's a quesion. Do you have to uninstall the uberkernel before updating? I have been told no. Just want to confirm. Thanks.
    All kernels and patched are OTA update compatible. If it makes you feel safer you can uninstall them, but there is no need for it now. The patches you have installed will stay as placeholders until they are updated per the new update. Then you simply need to update them through preware. Only themes need to be uninstalled. Trust me, I tested out what happens if you don't out of curiosity, and it made the phone pretty whacked out. Other than that, you're good.
    For your own good, I would suggest reading through some of the stickies in the forums. You will gain a lot of knowledge about webOS, patches, preware, etc, and you will feel MUCH more comfortable with your phone.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    I ran the EFV tool, and the only error I see is a theme package. Is that normal for it to reject a theme?...and if that's the only error(I got an IPKG error upon "install")...then i should be good to go?
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Me personally, I'm going to wait until the new version of webOS doctor comes out. I'm going to wipe the phone and then just start fresh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    Not to pick on cas_esp (and I do appreciate the attempt to help!), but this is a good example of how IT technical experts fail to understand how to communicate to the rest of us and why threads like this (not just @ PreCentral) go on so long: lack of specific steps and detailed explanations. For example, I don't know which "machine" your referring to (PC or Pre?) and I don't know how to "retry installing Novacom" after opening Quick Install.

Anyway, I downloaded the SDK (and the required VirtualBox etc.). It then says to verify the installation of the SDK by first opening the emulator. This I cannot do: it looks like a Command Prompt Window (with black background, right?) briefly flashes before disappearing. So I'm stuck at this point.

Anyone with suggestions to get to the point where I can run the Repair Utility and get rid of the bad (RED) files and be ready for the update? Or should I just forget it all as pip alluded to and install the update and hope my Pre doesn't self-destruct?!

By the way, I discovered I have a "novacom" folder and file under the "Palm, Inc." folder in Program files. However, when I try to open the standalone file--"novacom.exe," I get the brief flash and disappearing act again. Going to Quick Install and clicking "Add File" and selecting these same novacom folders under "Palm, Inc." in Program Files does no good--the extensions are not the ones Quick Install is looking for.
    What pip was saying was to open webos quick install, then go to file and select options. click the button that says attempt novacom (re)installation. After that try running the repair utility again. if that doesn't work just go for the update and hope it all goes well. You can't brick your phone. if it does "mess up" just run the new webos doctor that will be/is released and you are good to go again. Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    O.K., I ran the EFV in Preware and found the dreaded files in RED. (See attached files.)

However, I'm running Windows 7 on my new PC. I have not been able to connect to WebOS Quick Install or WebOS Repair Utility vis USB. The software always tells me to connect the Pre, but I've already put it in Dev. mode and "Just Charge" etc.

So, is there a way to get rid of the bad/red files just from my Pre?

Thanks!

Did you try taking your Pre out of developer mode and then connecting it to the computer? It should install device driver software. Anytime after that you can plug in your Pre while in developer mode. Hope this helps...
    Hi all, I don't yet have a Pre (and cannot get one until Oct, when my contract for my Centro ends).

My question deals with Themes. Are Themes for Pre, the same that they are on your PC with Win? (As in theme, for color and/or layout of the screen and/or desktop)?

Thanks as always,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    If your contract is up in Oct then you should be able to upgrade in Sept, that's what the wife and I did last near (november contract upgraded in oct).

Themes are kinda like that but different. Go to Palm Pre Themes, Wallpapers and Boot Screens @ PreThemer to see the many different themes.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    If your contract is up in Oct then you should be able to upgrade in Sept, that's what the wife and I did last near (november contract upgraded in oct).

Themes are kinda like that but different. Go to Palm Pre Themes, Wallpapers and Boot Screens @ PreThemer to see the many different themes.
    Hi & Thank you.

Actually I can upgrade in Aug if I stay with V. However, I am on the same bill as my Fantastic and wonderful G/F. I am one of four secondary phones. I would only get an upgrade every 2 years.

Originally I was with Sprint, however, I changed to be on Amy's plan, so we would have free phone calls between us.

At that time, none of the companies were offering what they do now, free calls to a certain number of tel numbers, (I know Sprint is the most generous, on that score). However, by the time that changed, I was already locked into this contract.

It has always been free for me to call Amy, since I still have a land line and local long distance, (intra state calls as well as interstate calls, are free with my home line with Embarq, as long as I keep my DSL line with them. In fact, my DSL rate can NEVER go up, as long as I keep this plan (& yes I have that in writing). The fee for the DSL is only $15 a month, I was paying Comcast just under $65 for a slower speed hook up. My home phone, dsl, local usage and local long distance is about $85 a month. Now since we live in different counties, Embarq is not the carrier there, so that deal is not available to her. In fact, Amy has no land line, which I grant you is a lot easier, when you live in a one bedroom apartment, then in a 8 room house as I do.

If I stay with V and go onto my own plan, I will get a phone upgrade once a year. However, that service will cost $30 a month more, with V than it does with Sprint.

Right now I have a V signal booster, which is the only way one can use a cell, (any carrier), as long as I have owned and lived in this house, which is just under 14 years.

When I change to Sprint, I will have to get an air wave or what ever Sprint calls their system.

Thank you and take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    Me personally, I'm going to wait until the new version of webOS doctor comes out. I'm going to wipe the phone and then just start fresh.
    REALLLLYY....

That's the way to go.

It would also be a good opportunity to use the Meta-Doctor, as well. The Meta-Doctor is one of the best things about webOS.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12