Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    I am an avid precentral reader, and a HUGE palm fan, but I do not own a Palm Pre. Why? Because last spring, sprint allowed me to keep my grandfathered (much cheaper) data plan if I got a BB Curve instead. I actually bought it on Pre launch day. lol.

    With that said, I sincerely regret my decision. I am now stuck in limbo. I hate my Curve, but I am afraid to sign another contract and miss out on a new awesome Palm phone.

    So here are my options:

    1) Keep my horrible BB and HOPE palm comes out with a new, better phone FOR SPRINT.

    2) Get the EVO. I don't like Google, but it really seems like a much better device than the original Pre. If I switch, I will likely regret it.

    3) Switch to AT&T for the iPhone. I am a web designer and tend to LOVE apple products, but I loved Palm first. Plus I really don't want to pay more for less with AT&T.

    Anyone have any suggestions?
  2. #2  
    hmm. compelling. personally, i have come to hate the BB os. it is a very dated platform and even the most popular of apps aren't done well because the platform doesn't support rich apps.
    Second, I don't like the form factor of the EVO. Way to big to use comfortably, alsoI hear that android phones don't have rich apps either.
    Third, Palm Pre is a dated phone, but the software I feel is the best around, albeit unpopular.
    Fourth, the iPhone seems to be the most stable and popular platform, even if the UI needs a refresh

    Hope this helps in your decision. Personally I would wait until September/Late august to see what HPalm announces
  3. #3  
    Have you considered picking up a used Pre? There's quite a few around and they're not that expensive.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Have you considered picking up a used Pre? There's quite a few around and they're not that expensive.
    Yeah I think you can get a used Pre for like $100 on ebay. You could also sell your BB curve for about $30~$40 there too.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by craigwann View Post
    I am an avid precentral reader, and a HUGE palm fan, but I do not own a Palm Pre. Why? Because last spring, sprint allowed me to keep my grandfathered (much cheaper) data plan if I got a BB Curve instead. I actually bought it on Pre launch day. lol.

    With that said, I sincerely regret my decision. I am now stuck in limbo. I hate my Curve, but I am afraid to sign another contract and miss out on a new awesome Palm phone.

    So here are my options:

    1) Keep my horrible BB and HOPE palm comes out with a new, better phone FOR SPRINT.

    2) Get the EVO. I don't like Google, but it really seems like a much better device than the original Pre. If I switch, I will likely regret it.

    3) Switch to AT&T for the iPhone. I am a web designer and tend to LOVE apple products, but I loved Palm first. Plus I really don't want to pay more for less with AT&T.

    Anyone have any suggestions?

    Well, until you finally decide to get a WebOS device, you can make blackberry's OS a little nicer:

    - buy a copy of beejive for instant messaging if you do any sort of IM
    - install the bolt browser. It's so much nicer than what comes on the blackberry, and works well with the trackball.
    : (){:|:&};:
  6. #6  
    +1 on getting a used Pre. EVO switchers sell them on these forums all the time. But sprint will probabl make you change data plans. Better ask them first...
  7. #7  
    I would wait a few weeks (a month or so on the outside) until the HP Palm acquisition closes. At that point, we should start hearing more about what's next--and I'm willing to guarantee it's going to be some nice stuff. And yes, I'm pretty convinced it'll be out on Sprint, simply because Sprint has the only active 4G network.

    Bottom line: if you can wait a few months, I'd wait.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  8. #8  
    I'd wait for the announcement, but if your really itching to get a new device, I'd opt for the Pre..i just think it's a better fit for somebody leaving a BB
  9. #9  
    Options 2 & 3 put you back into contract mode.

    # 2 puts you on a different device, which is not what you stated that you want (having a Palm Pre).

    #3 puts you on a different carrier, which is also does not appear to be what you want. Your initial reason for getting the BB was the keeping the cheaper plan, AT&T's plan is more expensive than the more expensive Sprint plan you initially tried to avoid.

    A couple of folks have mentioned buying a used phone. That would seem to be the best option overall. There is a possibility (albeit slight) that Sprint won't immediately get whatever new device comes out. I'd hate to see you sign a 2 year contract with a carrier that will have you wishing you'd wated.

    Net price of $40-$50 sounds like a pretty good bet. Buy a used Pre, sell your BB, and you should be set.

    Plus, you'll have the added bargaining tool with Sprint of being eligible for an update.
  10. #10  
    Pick up a used pre to play with in the mean time
  11. wfcentral's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    #11  
    I understand the envy... I have a Blackberry Tour my workplace game me and my Palm Pre for personal use - the Blackberry stays in a bag and never gets used... that said, I would suggest as others that you get a used phone and wait out the next new Palm Phone - I'm hoping they go with something that is thin with a large screen, but still has the physical keyboard - that's one reason I would never go with an iPhone - gotta have my keyboard and I hate virtual ones...
    Robert @ Mobile Cash Quest
    Your shot @ $5,000 is just a FREE App Away!
    Mobile Cash Quest - Scavenger Hunt for Palm Phones where you race other Palm owners for real prizes!
  12. #12  
    wait a bit I guess. there is really no good options. Sprint does have best plan for the price. So it would be nice to stick with it.

    if you are eager, go get a pixi from ebay for just $100+, sprint's plan will save you over the years more than that. Pixi is a better designed webOS phone anyway, IMHO.

    The thing you don't want to do, is to pay for a pre right now since it will definitely be replaced by next gen very soon.

    Lastly, just want to say that with a plan price of $69+, you will be qualified to get a new phone upgrade every 12 months. Half the time of VZ and ATT.
  13.    #13  
    I have actually considered picking up a used Pre for the time being. Then I run into is having to upgrade my data plan, but I will have to do that no matter what. Might be the way to go.
  14. thesmj's Avatar
    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    #14  
    Your best option is to either buy a used pre, or upgrade your curve to a pre through sprint. I too had the older, much cheaper data plan and learned I was not able to keep it with any phone upgrade. It sucks, but it comes down to how much you'd rather get a new phone and pay more per month, or keep paying less and keep an older phone until you just cant stand it anymore.

    From what they (sprint) told me, they are incapable of activating a Pre on the old $15/mo data plan. I don't know if that's really the case or if they're simply not SUPPOSED to, but either way you'll be stuck with old phones if you want to keep your old plan.

    It stung a bit for me at first, until I realized I was able to apply a company discount to the new plan. It's still not as cheap as it was before, but its pretty close.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSmJ View Post
    From what they (sprint) told me, they are incapable of activating a Pre on the old $15/mo data plan. I don't know if that's really the case or if they're simply not SUPPOSED to, but either way you'll be stuck with old phones if you want to keep your old plan..
    It is really the case.
  16. #16  
    I got an Evo four days after launch, kept it for twelve days and returned it.

    Get a used Pre.
  17. #17  
    For a web designer you'd want a bigger screen to proof and monitor your sites. Helps to have a phone that doesn't lag too. That rules out the Pre. Look into the iphone. Better yet, I'd go for the HTC Droid incredible. Fact is, Pre has old unrefined hardware and the OS is full of empty promises, still being beta-ware.
  18. #18  
    I go on Ebay anytime i decide im not going to wait till an upgrade. So why not stop on ebay and purchase a palm pre there. You could always go with verizon as well. they're great. I have them my palm pre plus is amazing lol. The only reason I wouldn't ever get an iphone is due to the lack of a physical qwerty keyboard. The UI is shameful, and the multitasking, well, barley exists. If i were you I would purchase a pre off of ebay for really cheap and wait until your upgrade with sprint or even switch to verizon. good luck!!
  19.    #19  
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I bought a pre off of ebay this weekend, refurb and used for three days for $140. In about a week, I will be a proud pre owner, at least until Palm puts out a new phone
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by craigwann View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I bought a pre off of ebay this weekend, refurb and used for three days for $140. In about a week, I will be a proud pre owner, at least until Palm puts out a new phone
    congrats, so far I have had most positive experiences on ebay. good luck
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions