1.    #1  
    Ok so now that I have ios 4 on my 3gs i am loving the fact that i can leave everything "open" nd not have to worry. My question is how much of a battery drain does the pre suffer by leavings a few apps open lets say messages and browser so i dont have to reopen them. Even when the screen is offf.
    Battery isn't the issue in my experience, the available RAM affecting how many apps you can have open is.

Since you have it, how many apps can you keep "open" on the iPhone?
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by nextjeter2 View Post
    Ok so now that I have ios 4 on my 3gs i am loving the fact that i can leave everything "open" nd not have to worry. My question is how much of a battery drain does the pre suffer by leavings a few apps open lets say messages and browser so i dont have to reopen them. Even when the screen is offf.
    Unless the app is doing something in the background, battery usage will be negligible. But if you leave something like your navigation system running, you bet it's going to suck your battery down.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Battery isn't the issue in my experience, the available RAM affecting how many apps you can have open is.

Since you have it, how many apps can you keep "open" on the iPhone?
    They "save" and quit but never really remain "open"
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    They "save" and quit but never really remain "open"
    Yep... this is pretty much the same as the Treo line has done for years. It serves most users quite well, and, Im glad Apple at least improved to that level - most smartphone users will not need more than that, I think.

Some applications actually saved thier "state" like board or card games, as well.

But, moving to a true multitasking smartphone like the Pre would be difficult for the average user to appreciate, unless they are doing things that a power user would do: open a 3D game, have a Weatherbug app, stock ticker app, IM app, calculator app, email and music playing app all running at once, with the ability to switch from one to the other without losing your data, place or timing, and even copy and paste between apps, or let apps work with one another - kinda like on your desktop!

It will take a few years, IMO, for the average user to really become aware of the difference between the two.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

i test this before. there is no detectable battery impact except when the opened apps are actively working (i.e., AIM).

I have no idea what impact of battery does iOS's fake multitasking has,
    A lot of the information regarding iPhone multitasking posted here is false. There are something like 7 services that can run in the background, which apps can make use of. So yes, you can actually stream Pandora and use the GPS Nav at the same time, with both apps running. While I agree that their implementation of multitasking leaves a lot to be desired, spreading false information and calling it "fake" does not help anyone. I believe that apps which are not supported for multitasking do essentially "freeze" until used again.