Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I am a new Pre owner. I have been reviewing the long list of patches, apps and themes available thru PreCentral and would like to take advantage of the material, but I have multiple questions before I dive in.

1. Are all of the patches shown on dBsooners web portal available thru the lists on PreCentral? If the proper software is installed on my laptop and Pre, with a nice and easy chart be available to pick and choose what patches I want?
    2. I see the instructions on the Webpage “How to add homebrew apps, patches and themes”. Is this a complete, step by step, process or are there undocumented steps – sure to frustrate the non-tekie in most of us?
    3. Are the patches downloaded to my laptop via WebOS Quick Install then copied to the Pre via the USB?
    4. I noticed that some of the patches have specific loading locations, which I assume are visible when I go to USB mode. Are the others just ‘dumped’ onto the Pre and then magic takes over to install the patches in the proper place?
    5.Does the Pre have to be restarted in order for the patches to take effect?
    6.Do I need to install something to make ‘Luna’ work, or is this a program already on my Pre?
    7.Can all of the patches be loaded at the same time, do is this a tedious, one-at-a-time process?
    8.If a patch does not work, do what I want it to do, or I just plain change my mind; how is the patch removed without crashing my Pre?
    9.Do I also install Preware or FileCoaster to install the Apps?

It looks like a good deal of my questions are discussed on the Webpage, but I am nervous, so humor me a bit.

Thanks

Remember, not all those who wander are lost . . .
    The easiest way to install/uninstall any Homebrew Apps and Patches is through Preware.

The easiest way, in my opinion, to get Preware is to use WebOSQuickInstall. Once you have Preware installed, you rarely have to connect to your computer for patches as they are almost all available OTA though Preware.

Step by step instructions, with links for necessary files here: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/..._Quick_Install
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Its all pretty simple man, get started with the guide on this site, but heres a summary.

1.put your phone in dev mode by opening the keyboard and typing:upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart all out, it will restart

2.download latest version of java, webos quick install, and web os doctor(comes with quick install)

3.the open webos quick install, click the down arrow, find the webos internals feed, download preware, have your phone plugged into computer in just charge mode, then click install, should only take a second.

4. voila you are now homebrewing, all patches and themes available via pc are also in preware, so get startedand have fun, check existing forum threads for any questions you may have as they are probably covered

hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by pre2930 View Post
    I am a new Pre owner. I have been reviewing the long list of patches, apps and themes available thru PreCentral and would like to take advantage of the material, but I have multiple questions before I dive in.

1. Are all of the patches shown on dBsooners web portal available thru the lists on PreCentral? If the proper software is installed on my laptop and Pre, with a nice and easy chart be available to pick and choose what patches I want?
    2. I see the instructions on the Webpage “How to add homebrew apps, patches and themes”. Is this a complete, step by step, process or are there undocumented steps – sure to frustrate the non-tekie in most of us?
    3. Are the patches downloaded to my laptop via WebOS Quick Install then copied to the Pre via the USB?
    4. I noticed that some of the patches have specific loading locations, which I assume are visible when I go to USB mode. Are the others just ‘dumped’ onto the Pre and then magic takes over to install the patches in the proper place?
    5.Does the Pre have to be restarted in order for the patches to take effect?
    6.Do I need to install something to make ‘Luna’ work, or is this a program already on my Pre?
    7.Can all of the patches be loaded at the same time, do is this a tedious, one-at-a-time process?
    8.If a patch does not work, do what I want it to do, or I just plain change my mind; how is the patch removed without crashing my Pre?
    9.Do I also install Preware or FileCoaster to install the Apps?

It looks like a good deal of my questions are discussed on the Webpage, but I am nervous, so humor me a bit.

Thanks

Remember, not all those who wander are lost . . .
    Hi and welcome, some of these are my opinions but these are what I feel are the best answers

1)Preware and WebOS Quick Install both give easy to view lists of patches.
    Personally I prefer using Preware to find and install patches.

2)The easiest instructions that I found are the quick install instructions, if I could do it then I'm sure anyone can. They can be viewed in this thread http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...l-v3-14-a.html
    I recommend following the install guide up until you install music player (remix) and then install Preware from the webos-internals (pre/pixi) feed and then patch and theme from there.
    You can also install Preware by the standalone installer, find it at install.preware.org

3)In wosqi i think they are downloaded to the programme and then installed but wont show up in any folders on your pc.

4) I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, you might be over-complicating things.

5)You need to to do a Luna restart. If you install through Preware you will be prompted when to do this.

6)No

7)Preware is one at a time, not sure about wosqi I have never had need to do two at a time, but it is really not that tedious. Remember that if you do it through Preware then you don't have to restart luna until you have installed the patches that you want.

8)Just go into the installed list in preware or wosqi and click uninstall.

9)Preware, it is maintained to the best capacity and has active development.

Remember that themes must be removed before an OTA update. However all patches in Preware are AUPT safe so do not need to be removed before an update.

Hope this helps somewhat.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Thanks for your information and support. This weekend I will take a deep breath (and a a beer) and give it a try
    It's all pretty easy, and if you get stuck, just come back and ask nice, detailed questions. I have seen people here get even the newest of the newbies up and running, so don't sweat it.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I used Preware to download a theme and it seems to have worked correctly with no hitches. I didn't remove any of my patches or change any settings - just downloaded the theme, allowed LUNA to restart and "Ta - Da" there it was...... It appears to be a simple one with no changes to icons, etc.

My Questions:
    I'd like to download a new/different THEME through "Preware". Do I need to remove the 1st THEME -or- can I leave it in the phone, and switch back and forth later? Also, should I have removed all my patches prior to downloading my 1st THEME and if so, should I remove all my patches prior to loading a 2nd THEME ?

Thanks,

EK
    Quote Originally Posted by ekurek View Post
    I used Preware to download a theme and it seems to have worked correctly with no hitches. I didn't remove any of my patches or change any settings - just downloaded the theme, allowed LUNA to restart and "Ta - Da" there it was...... It appears to be a simple one with no changes to icons, etc.

My Questions:
    I'd like to download a new/different THEME through "Preware". Do I need to remove the 1st THEME -or- can I leave it in the phone, and switch back and forth later? Also, should I have removed all my patches prior to downloading my 1st THEME and if so, should I remove all my patches prior to loading a 2nd THEME ?

Thanks,

EK
    It's always recommended to remove your current theme before installing a new one.

All themes don't touch all the same files, so complications could possibly arise with switching between them without bringing it back to stock first.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I am going thru the steps to install the quickinstall program. My computer goes thru all of the motions - but it does not show up in the Palm directory. I did a search of the drive and nothing was found. What am I missing. I am running a vista laptop.
    pre2930
    IIIxe>VIIx>Vx>Zire72>Treo755p>Pre+>Touchpad/Samsung Galaxy S3
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I found the file

Thanks anyway
    pre2930
    IIIxe>VIIx>Vx>Zire72>Treo755p>Pre+>Touchpad/Samsung Galaxy S3