Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Hi all, I'm still on my original Pre from launch day...never gave me a problam until now.

Sitting by itself it starts to behave as if someone was touching it...like a Ghost or something

One time it even opened the Call app, and Redialed a #, with speakerphone ON.

The only thing I notice, it that if I try to press the left part of the screen, it doesn't do anything.

If you want I can post a video.
    Doctor it!
    Use Pre backup utility to save your text messages and just drag everything in your USB mode and put it on the desktop or something and then doctor that sucker! Now that i can save all my text, im no longer reluctant to doctor that bad boy anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Doctor it!
    Use Pre backup utility to save your text messages and just drag everything in your USB mode and put it on the desktop or something and then doctor that sucker! Now that i can save all my text, im no longer reluctant to doctor that bad boy anymore.
    No actually try giving your screen a really good wipe with a cloth first, it may save yourself a trip to the doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    No actually try giving your screen a really good wipe with a cloth first, it may save yourself a trip to the doctor.
    yeah, well, its never a bad idea to doctor. You can get your text messages back via Pre backup utility. You can get all you app data back via save/restore and you can get all your patches back via Preware's save list. Hell, i feel like doctoring at the end of each day
    Is your Pre plugged in when this happens?

I have seen screens go crazy when connected to off-brand chargers.
    I had that happen Monday, power on and the screen looked like it was raining so to speak, with random phantom screen "touches". This was after a particularly humid day and so I put it in a dry box for a couple hours, reset, and it is behaving again.
    Weird to watch it happen, and a little frantic making it stop.
    do you live near a cemetery?

if so, def post a vid lol
    that happened to me , doctored, everything now is ok.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Thanks for you replies...this happens with the phone unplugged.

Will post a video, and maybe doctor it tomorrow.
    I ever have this problem on original Pre, and ended up to the dead of 5 squares at touchscreen area (use ##TEST# at dialpad choose manual > touch sensors). Exactly at left side, from bottom left to middle left. It is hardware failure, and need to replace. This is the reason why then I change to Pre Plus. Doctor it won't help

So before doctor it, better test your screen using ##TEST#, choose manual, then touch sensor.
    two things I know cause this are using a bad quality screen protector or leaving the original screen protector oh my the phone and it's worn out or it's gotten oily. Second is using a non oem charger. If your using an off brand charger it will do this . It's best to use a sprint or palm labeled charger .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Where is the 'spirit box' and 'EVP' apps needed to communicate with the paranormal entities wanting to play with your Pre?
    May be the Ghost Adventurer doooods are your only hope.. .
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    I personally think these problem is a voltage leak.

Due to te fact that capacitive touchscreens look for a voltage:
    A. An unshielded or undershielded charger will leak a voltage across the screen registering as touches(to test place the end of a suspect charge while pluged in to your screen you should get the random touches effect.)
    B. Irregular voltage enviroments aka heavly humid or dusty were the gain(sensitivity to static electricity in this case) can be great enough to sense atmospheric static electricity.
    C.Damaged capacitors can cause either an open or a short as to effect or getting an reading when there is not one.
    D. The simplest answer is a calibration issue doctoring wil fi that since there is no self-calibration on the pre.
    Side notes on A: Amps are a big factor that's why car chargers plugged into a car are less likely to cuz this effect then an travel or house charger.
    I saw this happen on a refurbished Pre to replace my original one that had a bad audio jack at a Sprint store. It was fine until I logged into my Palm profile then a litle later the phone started dialing on it's own. I could see random touches all over the screen at roughly a fast, constant rate. The tech sent it back for another refurb so I don't know if the doctor would have helped.
    This happened to me the other day but it was basically trying to zoom in when I was on the web when I only had one finger on the touchscreen. I solved it by pressing hard on the screen sometimes with two or three fingers for it to work.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I should say this doesn't happen 100% of the time...it just goes crazy when it wants to...

Touch Sensor Test passes fine...

I'm using the original PALM charger, and the Sprint Pre charger in my car.

VIDEO

Last edited by Brain2Me2; 06/23/2010 at 12:56 PM.
    what's the sound in the background? Sounds kinda like a fan, was it really humid as like stated it can affect touchscreens. Dr-ing isn't so bad now aday anyway, the backup works. Try it, if it works huray! If it doesn't then bring it back to sprint or just call palm if it's still in warranty, or if you got ins it's 100 and you get to keep ur upgrade eligability
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    It's a fan...but it does it anywhere in the house, in the car...etc. etc.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tejoe View Post
    I personally think these problem is a voltage leak.

Due to te fact that capacitive touchscreens look for a voltage:
    A. An unshielded or undershielded charger will leak a voltage across the screen registering as touches(to test place the end of a suspect charge while pluged in to your screen you should get the random touches effect.)
    B. Irregular voltage enviroments aka heavly humid or dusty were the gain(sensitivity to static electricity in this case) can be great enough to sense atmospheric static electricity.
    C.Damaged capacitors can cause either an open or a short as to effect or getting an reading when there is not one.
    D. The simplest answer is a calibration issue doctoring wil fi that since there is no self-calibration on the pre.
    Side notes on A: Amps are a big factor that's why car chargers plugged into a car are less likely to cuz this effect then an travel or house charger.
    I tend to agree with this post. I had the ghost touches for the last two weeks, and now in the same area there are two squares of the touchscreen that are unresponsive (and verified by the touch sensor interactive test). It would appear a voltage leak of some type was occurring and that it eventually can kill that area of the touchscreen.

I don't think the charger has anything to do with it - I had the ghost touches off charger, on touchstone, on AC USB charge, and on DC USB charge (all chargers being Palm chargers).

I also have a Launch+4 Pre (got it 4 days after launch).

If more of us are seeing this, one has to wonder if it's due to age, overclocking, or ?
    Last edited by jp99; 06/29/2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: added note for Palm chargers; overclocking?
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Exorcism, only way.
Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast