Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    I was introduced to the Palm world via a Pixi that was given to me by a friend.

This was early last year. The Pixi would "touch itself" randomly and erratically when I plugged a non-Palm charger into it. I dealt with the issue by turning on the screen lock every time I charged it. Until it started doing it while OFF the charger. I ended up putting a claim in with Asurion (Sprint) and they informed me that they were out of Pixis and would be sending me a Pre instead. Good deal. Since then I've only used the Palm charger that came with the Pre and have never had the issue since.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfbauer View Post
    I joined the touching itself club recently. Started off slow, then after a few weeks my phone started touching itself more and more, faster and faster. Like it discovered a new hobby.

Going to take it back to a Sprint store, though I don't look forward to that based on past experiences.
    Well I'll be darned.

I tried doctoring the phone, and was saddened to see the phone touching itself during the initial Palm Profile load. Apparently the doctoring didn't help. In fact, it was so bad that I wasn't even able to input my email passwords without it backing itself out of the menu!

Strangely enough, the next day the problems on my Sprint Pre almost entirely stopped. Two days later, the only time I catch it touching itself is while sitting on my completely stock Touchstone at night. Weird.

That was the first doctering it had seen since I bought the thing a year and a half ago, and the phone now moves smooth as butter. Even without overclocking, though that didn't stop me from throwing Uberkernel back on. What a huge difference, I tinkered with it a lot, so no surprise. Assuming the phantom touching issue doesn't resurface, my trek waiting out the Pre 3 is just got a lot easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by preluctance View Post
    I MAY have found the solution. I'd love if some others with the same issue try the "fix" and see if it works for them as well. My phone hasn't had any phantom touching for 2 weeks and a day now - much longer than it has gone without displaying the issue recently (it had become an almost daily issue). If anything changes, I'll re-post. Someone else please try this and post if it solves the issue!!!

I simply placed a piece of self-stick foam tape on top of the battery, essentially "wedging" the battery between the body of the phone and the gold battery contacts on the phone. Specifically I used Scotch foam mounting tape. It's double sided but I left the film on the side facing the phone. By "top of the battery" I mean the thin part directly opposite the contacts on the battery. The foam tape rests between the battery and that plastic film used to pull the battery out of the phone. Hopefully that's clear enough. (I am hopefully attaching a couple pics.)

And as an aside - my Palm Pre Plus has just about EVERY affliction noted in these forums. The phantom touching issue became the worst of the issues as it makes the phone almost useless (followed closely by my lost web bookmarks - and I can't make new ones). One night about 2:30am, the phone unlocked itself (it was on the touchstone), opened the phone app, selected call history and called a customer. Not a good way to keep customers.

Palm - who had a customer for life - has lost this one. I don't care who owns them or what they put out, I'll never own another Palm product. It's a beautiful phone with a great user interface, but I need it to WORK. I don't think that's asking too much.
    As a follow-up - the maybe fix I described here lasted about a month and a half. Verizon sent me a new Pre (my third). And on this one the screen started locking up almost immediately and frequently for stretches of time and then would stop. So, from a Palm with an over-active screen to one where the screen doesn't work at all. The first Pre was the keyboard that wouldn't type some characters and type others multiple times on a single keypress. Seems there is a hardware quality issue to me.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    For a solid week my Pre was touching itself and was pretty much unusable. The last couple days though it seems to have worked out the kinks and is back to normal. My screen is well scratched up, and certainly would attribute a lot of this malfunctioning to that... but the fact now it's back to normal is just confusing. People have reported removing patches, re-doctoring, wedging something in the battery compartment and using actual supplied PALM charger vs some 3rd party charger.. but there appears to be no clear solution as well as any reason why this crap is happening in the first place. Hardware quality issue? Another possibility.
    Mine had this irritating issue since yesterday.. my Pre+ hasn't past 1 year old.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Mine had this irritating issue since yesterday.. my Pre+ hasn't past 1 year old.
    If its less than a year old, it should still be covered under HP's warranty regardless of whether you have insurance on it or not.

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    Quote Originally Posted by prolongexistence View Post
    If its less than a year old, it should still be covered under HP's warranty regardless of whether you have insurance on it or not.
    Will HP repaired my Pre+ ? I bought from Verizon US off contract. I change the carrier and use it in Asia.. not Amerika anymore. So will HP really accepted my Pre+?
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Well I'll be darned.

I tried doctoring the phone, and was saddened to see the phone touching itself during the initial Palm Profile load. Apparently the doctoring didn't help. In fact, it was so bad that I wasn't even able to input my email passwords without it backing itself out of the menu!

Strangely enough, the next day the problems on my Sprint Pre almost entirely stopped. Two days later, the only time I catch it touching itself is while sitting on my completely stock Touchstone at night. Weird.

That was the first doctering it had seen since I bought the thing a year and a half ago, and the phone now moves smooth as butter. Even without overclocking, though that didn't stop me from throwing Uberkernel back on. What a huge difference, I tinkered with it a lot, so no surprise. Assuming the phantom touching issue doesn't resurface, my trek waiting out the Pre 3 is just got a lot easier.
    Update:

More touching itself. It came and went every few hours or so, but seemed to happen most often while on or after recently being taken off the touchstone. I took my Pre to a Sprint store, put it on a touchstone to show the employee, and he had it replaced. I'd recommend doing so to everyone who has this issue and insurance. The new device has clickier keys, more sturdy sliding, and (best of all) doesn't touch itself.
    Wow! Mine is becoming touching itself addicted! I discovered yesterday that during the night while in touchstone it unlocked itself and made "some calls", including 8 calls to a number equivalent to 911 in USA! Dangerous...

Trying other methods including installing patches: Preset Reset and Temperature Warnings. I notice that my Pre shows high temperatures when in Touchstone...

Just another report...
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jossanaijr View Post
    Wow! Mine is becoming touching itself addicted! I discovered yesterday that during the night while in touchstone it unlocked itself and made "some calls", including 8 calls to a number equivalent to 911 in USA! Dangerous...

Trying other methods including installing patches: Preset Reset and Temperature Warnings. I notice that my Pre shows high temperatures when in Touchstone...

Just another report...
    Try keeping your Pre off the touchstone. That seemed to help me.

Also, take it to Sprint!
    I truly believe PALM SUCKS. I convinced 3 people to get a stupid Sprint Pre thinking it was the best phone ever only to feel like an ***** for suggesting such a piece of crap excuse for a smart phone. Since launch day we have all experienced some software or hardware issue. Lately the touching itself has gotten so bad I can't even use the stupid phone. My wife has taken her Pre to 2 different Sprint stores and all they offer is a hard reset, which we have done mulitiple times. I am venting at this point and can't wait to jump ship to Android and the Evo 3d. HP/palm has lost customers for life. They created crap for hardware, an unfinished buggy software, lied about updates, lied about new hardware releases, and just completely refuse to accept responsibility for selling JUNK. I really liked WebOS and felt it should have crushed Apple, but missed its chance by releasing half baked software and junk hardware. Too many cards issue on a device sold as the premier multitasker is a joke. HP should give up and move on and FIRE Reubenstein who seems content to make his millions while still pushing what the world knows is a substandard product. WebOS is dead and for good reason, they ruined their own reputation.
    i had the same problem until this morning, when the entire touchscreen and gesture area became completely non-responsive. and of course, my usb/charger port stopped working months ago, so now im pretty much stuck
    The "Touch Itself Syndrome" was apparently solved for many days until yesterday when I turn bluetooth on to sync with my TomTom. Does anyone notice any relation with the problem and bluetooth on?
    In the midle of this crazy automatic self sequences of opens & closes; dials; etc, etc, I'm almost sure I saw it openning the browse and buying a new Samsung Galaxy S II or it was a Google Nexus S for me?... :-)
    Last edited by jossanaijr; 05/05/2011 at 06:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain2Me2 View Post
    Hi all, I'm still on my original Pre from launch day...never gave me a problam until now.

Sitting by itself it starts to behave as if someone was touching it...like a Ghost or something

One time it even opened the Call app, and Redialed a #, with speakerphone ON.

The only thing I notice, it that if I try to press the left part of the screen, it doesn't do anything.

If you want I can post a video.
    I thanked you just for the hilarious sexual innuendo of a Palm Pre touching itself...
    Yeah, I'm immature.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Mine's doing this. Happened before, happening again. Restore didn't fix anything. Happens on Predroid too, confirms that it's a hardware problem.

Really annoyed at this, only got the Pre a couple months ago (paid $330), live in Australia and have no way to get it repaired or replaced. Waste of money. Don't buy a secondhand Pre-, you don't know what issues it'll have. If it gets any worse, I'll have to go back to my w800i
    I decided to replace my battery for a new one and now 96h working without any problem. Coincidence?
    Moisture, moisture, moisture...

I believe the Pre's touchscreen controller is just a very fragile thing when it comes to moisture.
    And I don't mean dropping it in the toilet, but just common plain humidity.

Shut the thing down.
    Take out the battery.
    Put the phone in a bag with rice for a week, and forget about it.
    Then see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by jossanaijr View Post
    I decided to replace my battery for a new one and now 96h working without any problem. Coincidence?
    battery ? Could be I run an extended and never had a problem
    I joined the touching itself club recently. Started off slow, then after a few weeks my phone started touching itself more and more, faster and faster. Like it discovered a new hobby.

Going to take it back to a Sprint store, though I don't look forward to that based on past experiences.
    lol'd for about 5 minutes on this!

I've had this issue for about 2 months. Gets harder and harder to stop. EEKKK LOL!