Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    FYI, this thread still gets my vote for:

best. title. ever.
    original quote from a jqtouch beta file...

// Private touch functions (TODO: insert dirty joke)
    function touchmove(e) {
    [...]
    }

back to topic... i think that some of these hardware issues are material defects that probably need months to develop a really ill and reproducable behaviour. so when i think back ver often i observe this:

when i get a call and the phone rings i see the swipe-up-to-answer-call-screen but the button actually "cramps up" in some corner of the screen and will refuse to be dragged. i can still answer the call by pulling out the slider but still...

...who observes this too? could it be that this is related?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    FYI, this thread still gets my vote for:

best. title. ever.
    huh hum stay on topic here . Or you will be deleted (your post that is lol ltm) .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I had this same issue once and I thought maybe it was just me going crackers. Doctor fixed it straight away for me!
    My issue started back in August/September (as noted in a earlier post). It would last for maybe a day... sometimes it would stop completely with a power down and a few minutes of a battery pull. Then I wouldn't see the problem for about 2 weeks, and it would show up again. Then it started happening every week, then couple times a week, then in mid-December it would happen every day after about a couple of minutes of the screen being on and used.

After reading about others getting a refurb, I finally opted to go into a Sprint store. No insurance on my account. Told them what was happening, paid my $35 + tax, and got me a like new refurb unit (because the repair guy said the problem was with the touchscreen and they couldn't fix that). Life is back to normal now. No changes to my contract length, etc either.

It seems as long as you can demonstrate a hardware failure, you can get the $35 refurb unit. Do note that the device has to be active on your account for 30 days to be able to get this. Also, I had a slight crack on the cover next to the USB port with part of the cover chipped off (the USB cover had long since broken off as well) and there was no questions about it being damaged.
    Former Sprint Treo 700p Owner, now Sprint Palm Pre- and HP Touchpad Owner.
    I had this issue after using uberkernel on my first Phone and I believe it was the processor that was going out . Either way it was replaced immediately when sprint tech saw it lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    so nobody observed the dragbutton to be unusable while phone rings? i just ask because i observed it from day 1 and i'd like to know if it propbably was an herald of the phantom touch issue i ran into now.
    we all just swipe up from the gesture are and ignore the button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    we all just swipe up from the gesture are and ignore the button.
    then you must have a hmmm swipe-up-from-gesture-area-to-answer-phone-call-patch?

i just tried it: ringing up the pre while its screen is off. it will not answer the call when you ignore the drag-button and just swipe up next to it starting at gesture area missing the button istelf...

i am just raising this question because even if i dont mind the effect when my phone rings (because i can as well answer the call by the keyboard slider) i see a close similarity to the general phantom touch effect (the one this thread is about) because both would act like someone is concurrently draging things to locations on the screen.

the first effect i have since day one (phantom drags on phone ringing), the second (phantom drags in general) is brand new.

so while the effect that potentially renders phone unusable (the general one) cannot be reproduced by me now because you never know when it comes or goes (except for putting it on ts for at least like 20 minutes) the other one (when phone rings) can be reproduced since the day the phone was new.

so i ask for if others can see or experienced a relationship between those two things because i could go to the store and show them the ghost by ringing up my phone and tell them that this means the whole display will go toilet soon, but if everybody here says "naa the ghost drag on ringing phone is some stupid software glitch we all have and dont care" (like i did until now) i cannot and will not try to refer to it in the mission of getting a replacment device...

oh my... i give it up... too many words =)
    Quote Originally Posted by gnark View Post
    when i get a call and the phone rings i see the swipe-up-to-answer-call-screen but the button actually "cramps up" in some corner of the screen and will refuse to be dragged. i can still answer the call by pulling out the slider but still...

...who observes this too? could it be that this is related?
    I did several times. It caused some very dangerous traffic situations.
    It appeared on my first and second Pre. The first one had the "touching itself" issue. I think that these two effects are not correlated.

I fixed the issue by replacing the Pre with a Sony Ericsson K770i. It has a button to pick up a call . And the battery lasts forever .
    I've had this happen to me as well.... I've noticed that this happens when there's water sitting on the touchscreen (from sweat, etc...). Wiping off the whole face of the Pre fixes the issue for me.

I think that this is some sort of design issue related to using plastic instead of glass for the touchscreen on the Pre itself. I hope they fix this with their new hardware!
    I MAY have found the solution. I'd love if some others with the same issue try the "fix" and see if it works for them as well. My phone hasn't had any phantom touching for 2 weeks and a day now - much longer than it has gone without displaying the issue recently (it had become an almost daily issue). If anything changes, I'll re-post. Someone else please try this and post if it solves the issue!!!

I simply placed a piece of self-stick foam tape on top of the battery, essentially "wedging" the battery between the body of the phone and the gold battery contacts on the phone. Specifically I used Scotch foam mounting tape. It's double sided but I left the film on the side facing the phone. By "top of the battery" I mean the thin part directly opposite the contacts on the battery. The foam tape rests between the battery and that plastic film used to pull the battery out of the phone. Hopefully that's clear enough. (I am hopefully attaching a couple pics.)

And as an aside - my Palm Pre Plus has just about EVERY affliction noted in these forums. The phantom touching issue became the worst of the issues as it makes the phone almost useless (followed closely by my lost web bookmarks - and I can't make new ones). One night about 2:30am, the phone unlocked itself (it was on the touchstone), opened the phone app, selected call history and called a customer. Not a good way to keep customers.

Palm - who had a customer for life - has lost this one. I don't care who owns them or what they put out, I'll never own another Palm product. It's a beautiful phone with a great user interface, but I need it to WORK. I don't think that's asking too much.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mine would touch itself when i plugged it in, i took it to sprint turned out to be an issue with the screen and charging area. Some sort of bad soldering, so just take it in they'll replace it for you.
    just for the record... very shortly after my last post here my pre stopped the phantom touches... the only thing i changed was switching from uk screenstate 125/800 to 250/800... probably it has nothing to do with it but probably it has...

by that time the ghost touches came very reliable after some time on touchstone and after the switch gradually disapeared over a period of 2 or 3 days before it stopped *completely*...

so its weeks without the issue and i hope writing this wont make it come back

when it comes back i ll try the battery tape trick and raport.

and again: setup an unlock pin. if your pre will find out that on its own i ll buy it for my cabinett of mysteries
    let me tell you about the Palm Minus...it card breezes lot....I have over 3 thousand pics about 4 movies....lots of apps...and lot of personal vids...about 7 and change gigs and she still soldiers on....WebOs is great...we all worry about the freezes and i prayed the 9th demo didn't show to much...so didn't the HP pukes and that cool Indian dude...that said aside i love my original pre and its on its last leg...battery and open card be damned....its the best flunt phone i ever owned....Ol to billy WebOs...cept the apps coming and i will be the last one on this forum....sprint i trusted you and care about you...do me right and i will pay you what i owe...No Pre3 and i will still pay you but will not like it much....any errors are to be absorbed by HP...Kataran out
    I bought a Pre for my wife on eBay, knowing that it had this issue. When I received it, sure enough, it was "touching itself". I Dr it twice and the problem remained. Went to the Sprint store and they replaced it... FREE of charge.

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    hmm.. What if your pre is trying to read your mind. It's psychic!
    so the conclusion is.. the only way to resolve the danny phantom palm pre is to send it back to sprint or other carrier's center? i guess those companies are really good at exorcism. )
    had someone already tried to disassemble the device and wipe the lcd/digitizer itself? and did it resolve the issue?
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    I joined the touching itself club recently. Started off slow, then after a few weeks my phone started touching itself more and more, faster and faster. Like it discovered a new hobby.

Going to take it back to a Sprint store, though I don't look forward to that based on past experiences.
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast