Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Hi my name is Adam and I represent Sprint as their SprintCareGuide. Please take your phones into the closest Sprint retailer to get your issues answered. Please keep us updated on your progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparksd View Post
    I continue to run into this (bad today) but now I'm seeing additional problems --

* When battery level drops below 50%, it will suddenly plummet to 0% and the phone will shut itself off.

* Bottom left side of the touch screen no longer responds - under interactive tests for the screen, on testing the bottom half the left-most column of squares will not fill in (no touch response).

This phone is toast. I love WebOS but I'm beginning to consider alternatives.

Dave
    After these issues combined with the Oreo problem, my Pre has joined 3 dead Palm Pilots in a drawer and I've moved on to an HTC EVO - I didn't want to deal with a refurb.

Dave
    I now got my packaging back. Woohoo . Well, it's not really mine, but an adequate replacement.
    I've been dealing with this problem several times over the last 8 weeks or so. I originally thought it had something to due with either overheating from my touchstone (which is the only way I charge my phone) or changes in humidity via a slight crack in the side of my case next to the USB port.

The problem itself would last 1-2 days and at first it would happen every couple of weeks, now it is once a week. I gave up charging with the touchstone and just went with the palm usb cable, but the problem still kept coming back.

My wife was having terrible battery life, so I decided to order 2 new OEM batteries from amazon ($8 each). Replaced hers and it works great (of course she never had phantom touching problems) and the second was just a backup in case one of use needed it. I decided since there was voltage discussion talk in this thread, that maybe it was being caused by the battery. I was having phantom touching problems this morning (and the screen constantly waking up yesterday), so, I changed the battery and so far so good.

Could be just as simple as the battery is going bad? An $8 OEM battery charge is a lot cheaper than a new pre...

I was using the original pre battery that came with my unit when I bought it in August 2009.
    Former Sprint Treo 700p Owner, now Sprint Palm Pre- and HP Touchpad Owner.
    Regarding the association of this problem with a bad battery - I had bought a new battery and this phantom touch problem occurred with both the old and the new. I had also thought it might be associated with Touchstone charging but that also proved not to be the case.

Dave
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    This happen to me when I plugged in my sanyo charger, because it has the micro usb plug in. I just took the battery out and that fixed the problem. No more non sprint, non palm chargers for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski21 View Post
    This happen to me when I plugged in my sanyo charger, because it has the micro usb plug in. I just took the battery out and that fixed the problem. No more non sprint, non palm chargers for me.
    Happened to me with all stock Palm gear.

Dave
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Sometimes this problem is exacerbated by non-Palm charging equipment, but if you read through this thread it's ultimately been a hardware issue in the device itself - something in the screen is my guess, but it's not software or battery related (only). My first Pre (bought just after launch day) developed this after 13 months and eventually parts of the touch screen failed to respond, and I had to replace it.

Once it begins to happen, I suspect your phone's days are numbered. How many days is anyone's guess.
    most of the time it is the processor going out when this happens . My phone was just replaced because of this .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Yup....just turned in my 6/6/09 Pre for the same issue...really like the "new" phone....very snappy! It was a bit of a pain, but, most things transferred over fine and had saved everything.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I kid you not! My wife's Pre will open the dialer by itself and start pushing numbers as if she were dialing with her finger!!! You can see the numbers being pushed and the little circle effect. We tried to film it but it stopped. It randomly opens the dialer. Now it swipes the alerts at the bottom away. And tonight it randomly called my daughters Pre. Most of the time this happens while its on the Touch Stone, but, last night while she was out it called her mother.

Do I need an exorcist? This is not a joke.
    Hi darkstarx,

This quirk has happened before to other members. Take a read of the posts in this thread and you should find a fix here.

<<threads merged>>
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    tried searching first but search was not happenng tonight!
    Quote Originally Posted by darkstarx View Post
    I kid you not! My wife's Pre will open the dialer by itself and start pushing numbers as if she were dialing with her finger!!! You can see the numbers being pushed and the little circle effect. We tried to film it but it stopped. It randomly opens the dialer. Now it swipes the alerts at the bottom away. And tonight it randomly called my daughters Pre. Most of the time this happens while its on the Touch Stone, but, last night while she was out it called her mother.

Do I need an exorcist? This is not a joke.
    Dude thats creepy! Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by ASprintGuy View Post
    I've been dealing with this problem several times over the last 8 weeks or so. I originally thought it had something to due with either overheating from my touchstone (which is the only way I charge my phone) or changes in humidity via a slight crack in the side of my case next to the USB port.

The problem itself would last 1-2 days and at first it would happen every couple of weeks, now it is once a week. I gave up charging with the touchstone and just went with the palm usb cable, but the problem still kept coming back.

My wife was having terrible battery life, so I decided to order 2 new OEM batteries from amazon ($8 each). Replaced hers and it works great (of course she never had phantom touching problems) and the second was just a backup in case one of use needed it. I decided since there was voltage discussion talk in this thread, that maybe it was being caused by the battery. I was having phantom touching problems this morning (and the screen constantly waking up yesterday), so, I changed the battery and so far so good.

Could be just as simple as the battery is going bad? An $8 OEM battery charge is a lot cheaper than a new pre...

I was using the original pre battery that came with my unit when I bought it in August 2009.
    Just an update... I made 2 changes at this time and I haven't had an phantom screen touches since. I replaced the battery (as quoted above) and I put a small piece of black electrician tape on the side next to the usb door for a piece of the case that was cracked and had broken off. Also, I haven't been using the touchstone for charging at all (just using the USB cable that plugs into the back of it).

So, I don't know if it was having voltage problems from the old battery, possibly a humidity problem giving extra moisture under the screen via the crack or I've just been lucky the last 2 1/2 weeks. Regardless, so far so good.
    Former Sprint Treo 700p Owner, now Sprint Palm Pre- and HP Touchpad Owner.
    I had changed my battery out too but it had no impact on this problem for me.

Dave
    My touchscreen is freaking OUT! Random tapping, opening apps, making calls and sending e-mails for no reason. Gesture area waving up as if I am trying to open something. I can't seem to determine what (if anything) sets it off. On the other hand, when I WANT to send an e-mail or open an app or answer a call, it won't respond to REAL TOUCHES.

I'm really frustrated as I don't want to move to another OS platform, but I am a first gen Palm user (hubby and I were at Best Buy when they first came out) and I am not sure if I can still get a replacement. Have any of you been users for the last two years and had Sprint replace your phones for free or minimal cost at this point?

I will say that I have had NO other problems with this phone and I really LOVE the WebOS platform, which is why I am reluctant to trade in for something else...but I don't know if I can last until Sprint announces that they are going to carry a new Palm phone (if they announce??).
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    My phone too has been "possessed"

My PRE is more than 1.5 years old, not sure if there is any replacement or not.

So, is looking around for another phone the only option?

I ran the screen response test and see some dead squares.

Looks like no one has hit a permanent resolution. Would hate to see my Pre go out of my hands.
    It seems the only way to fix it is sending it in. Sorry.
    joined the club of selftouching pre users yesterday. started first on touchstone, then later that evening while going back and forth between data/nodata and 2g/3g without ts and struck again today on ts and later without while being left alone on the couch.

i think the reason why a lot of us seem to experience it first on the touchstone is that then the screen is constantly on.

in all cases the effect was stoppable by shutting the device off, in one case it stopped while i was concurrently tapping and swiping apps away, in another case it stopped without interaction.

so from my experience and from reading this thread the failure seem to be some electric current issue that might suffer impact from moisture, physical force, electric fields etc but the vulnerability itself arises from some instability of the touchscreen that becomes more likely to happen the longer the screen is actually on. and this "incubation" period will shorten once the behaviour developed as well as the likelyness will increase that it happens at all.

lets wait and see...

ps: set up a turn-on-password to prevent ego trips of the phone, it was quite entertaining to watch my phone trying to unlock itself
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast