Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Ok...my Pre is freaking me out right now. I went for a vacation in Spain, so I left it at home. Now I got back, turned it on....and my Pre is "touching" itself.

I have no idea where it comes from, but the Pre is "touching" or recognizing touch somewhere over the right gesture led. he recognizes movement(without me touching the darn thing) in a 2 cm area (thats about an inch ). that way apps get closed, opened, moved, blocked....etc. I can't work with the pre as it is now.

any ideas how to fix that? is it a software, or a hardware issue?

thx
    <<threads merged>>

cptpancake,
    Take a look at the posts in this thread as it is the same issue. Thanks
    most common cause is the stock screen saver is causing this or a real cheapo screen saver.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    My first Pre touched itself 1 month after release. The Sprint rep already know about it then when she replied "oh it's touching itself? we'll have to exchange it".

It appears to be an issue with the capacitive touch (MPCT, in the case of the Pre I believe) reading a significant voltage when it should read null. It's a physical fault.

They're pretty good about replacements since it's a legitimate build issue.
    how many of you have installed UK? i didn't notice it until about a month after i installed UK. i doctored my phone tonight in the hopes that this will help.
    doctoring didn't alleviate the problem. i may chuck into the river soon.
    I had three near death experiences when the pre dialed "112", which is the emergency telephone number in germany . Luckily it dialed a "0" after that instead of touching the dial button. The damn thing is getting replaced right now .
    I continue to run into this (bad today) but now I'm seeing additional problems --

* When battery level drops below 50%, it will suddenly plummet to 0% and the phone will shut itself off.

* Bottom left side of the touch screen no longer responds - under interactive tests for the screen, on testing the bottom half the left-most column of squares will not fill in (no touch response).

This phone is toast. I love WebOS but I'm beginning to consider alternatives.

Dave
    Always knock first. That what you won't have to see it playing with itself.

Sorry, I couldn't resist
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Shameless plug: For more of my thoughts, ideas, sarcastic remarks, and other things you're probably better off not not thinking about, follow me on Twitter
    maybe it wouldn't have to touch itself if you would touch it once in a while...
    Got mine back today. With 1.4.1. Noticed that too late . Back to start again I guess . The most important part, it works again .
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Mine's back from repair in the UK as well. No more phantom taps...

However... My unlocked German QWERTZ GSM seems to have become a SIM-locked UK QWERTY with a QWERTZ keyboard...

I put in my SIM (the one I used to create my Palm profile and the one I used several times to synch with this same profile after doctoring the phone) and I don't get any connection whatsoever.

It asks me the PIN code (reading SIM Card Locked) which I do, but there is no way for me to enter the APN settings as I saw on all versions of WebOS (except the first). The left upper corner still reads SIM lock-SOS only and continues to do so. When making an emergency call to a regular number, the phone asks me to "Enter Network Unlock Code - Contact your carrier for the unlock code". Does this mean they SIM locked my phone???

Also, when typing a Z now I get a Y on the screen and vice versa...

Great thing... Palm support...

EDIT: Just called technical support. The unit will have to be sent back for another fix, as probably the UK software was installed instead of the German one (cannot be corrected by doctoring)... One has to bear quite some suffering for being a Palm supporter outside the official realm...

Wim
    Last edited by ishpuini; 08/31/2010 at 06:06 AM.
    Touchpad 32GB and German O2 unlocked Palm Pre sharing the same profile
    Well, I forgot to say, I sent my Pre in with the original packaging. I got it back in a cheap bag. I then requested my original packaging back but didn't get anything.
    Bit by bit I'm starting to really dislike Palm including its environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrestonJames View Post
    maybe it wouldn't have to touch itself if you would touch it once in a while...
    wish it would touch me every now and then.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and dont necessarily represent AT&Ts positions, strategies or opinions.
    my wifes pixi did this same thing one day. Turns out it was over heating. Cpu temps were hitting 54*-60*. Threw it in the fridge for 2 minutes and checked the temp again, 32*-28* and it stopped.
    I'm having the same/similar problem.

Rather than "phantom" taps, it actually appears to be "severely delayed" taps.

Example: I tap launch (nothing happens), try sliding up (nothing happens), try tapping calender (nothing happens). Now, set the phone down and it appears to go through those motions by itself.

Some thoughts:

1) Might be a coincidence, but this happened right around the time I started using Dr. Battery. Anyone else?

2) There's another thread that says when your screen in completely unresponsive, insert your USB cable into the PalmPre and push it in harder until it "clicks". I had this happen once before and it worked for sure. Could this phantom/delayed response be related to this issue?
    phantom touching.....yep Just went through that for the past week.....almost lost my mind ...having my pre freak out. SOOO I did an erase......doctored it.....and still....it was happening. I had to take my first pre of 11 months....back to Bell....for a repair...I have a loaner( 3-4 weeks)....$25 cost. Miss the homebrew...(which I just insatalled three weeks ago)....plus the Govnah kernel.....I was late to the hombrew dance,but miss it so much. anyway....I hope My palm stops touching it's self...because the frustration was intense.....not surre if it got a little bug from the preware or kernal......but can't wait to get my baby back a load her up with zippy-homebrew-goodness
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prenode View Post
    Well, I forgot to say, I sent my Pre in with the original packaging. I got it back in a cheap bag. I then requested my original packaging back but didn't get anything.
    Bit by bit I'm starting to really dislike Palm including its environment.
    In my case the support people told me explicitely to only include the device and nothing else since only the device would be returned. That included taking off the back cover and taking out the battery/SIM before putting in the box.

Your experience seems to confirm this. Shame you were not notified of this?

Wim
    Touchpad 32GB and German O2 unlocked Palm Pre sharing the same profile
    Quote Originally Posted by ishpuini View Post
    Your experience seems to confirm this. Shame you were not notified of this?
    They told me to remove the battery and the SIM and to just send in the device. They didn't tell me about packaging explicitly.
    when i sent in my device to be repaired this is the email they sent me.It was over the phone i believe that they stated that the unit should be sent with a padded envelop but it was unfortunate this was not brought across to you.But it maes sense in terms of shipping weight charges that the most protective and least large packaging be sent for palm to return the unit.If the said to leave out a "heavy" memory card the original palm packaging seems pretty large doesnt it?

Dear

Thank you for your request to have your HSPalm Pre-UMTS repaired. Please follow the instructions below to enable us to deliver a fast and efficient service to you.

Please note that ALL DATA WILL BE LOST AS PART OF THE REPAIR PROCESS. To safeguard all of your data HotSync the unit with your desktop if possible.

1, Package the HSPalm Pre-UMTS to ensure that it is not damaged in transit. Palm accept no liability for any damage that occurs whilst in transit to us.

2, Print this order confirmation, cut along the dotted line and use the bottom section as the ship to address label

3, Enclose the remainder of this order confirmation inside the package with the product, this will ensure quick identification at the Service Repair Centre

4, Send only the HSPalm Pre-UMTS for repair. Do not include cables, cradles, power supplies, manuals, CD-ROMs or any other accessories as these will not be returned. Remove SD/MMC cards (including the dummy card), stylus, covers & cases and any third party hardware.

5. For Smartphones also remove your SIM card from the holder, your battery & battery cover.

The address that we will send your repaired HSPalm Pre-UMTS to is:
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast