Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    you need to call Father Sarducci
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    I've suddenly gotten this problem, mostly on the bottom right. Also, the right side of the touch area is functioning when it feels like it--which may be related somehow. Off to the Sprint store tomorrow AM.

When it is doing this, the three lights in the touch area are going bonkers too.

With all that, it's got to be an electrical hardware issue.

BTW, I've never used anything but Sprint equipment and never went the homebrew route at all.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dell View Post
    BTW, I've never used anything but Sprint equipment and never went the homebrew route at all.
    That's a good data point - I've wondered if this could be connected with running higher clock speeds, but I didn't know if the screen touch sensing was influenced by clock speeds. This points to an issue that is related to time and perhaps environmental conditions.
    As soon as I walked in to the SD store the service guys said this is a known problem with the pre phones. They replaced my phone with a refurb unit. This phone is much faster than my previous phone and the hardware (slider) seems more solid. It also does not lock up when I open large pdf files anymore. They were very pleasant and I was out of there in 20 mins. As I suspected, I was treated much differently than at the New Jersey store that also had pre phones in stock but refused to use those and told me that I would have to wait 3-5 days for them to order one.

By the way, there was no charge for the exchange due to this being an electrical problem. If you have this problem it will only get worse. I lived with mine for 2 weeks. I recommend getting the phone exchanged. I did a full erase and doctored the phone and nothing fixed the problem. Regardless if it is hardware or software, even the tech's at the sprint repair center said it is not repairable and must be replaced. Good luck to all, and thanks for everyone's input and help on this issue.
    Hi
    I am getting these random phantom touches on my Pre, especially when its on its touchstone. The symptoms are seeing ripples all over the screen starting and stopping randomly when the Pre is on the TS (it will actually launch apps if the touch goes off on the right spot). I can make it stop by taking it off and hitting the power button on and off. I had this once in the past and only got rid of it by doctoring. This time, rather than just doctoring it I am trying to find out why, 3 months after the doctor its starting up again. I am using the uberkernal but downgraded it to the palm kernal to see if that would help, but no luck. Also I am running very few patches and I havent installed anything in the last 2 weeks so why all of a sudden did this phantom touching occur?

Has anybody else experienced this effect and besides doctoring is there any other solution.

Thanks
    <thread merged>
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Hello all, I'm back here... Indeed, the problem had gone away after a few days, but now it's back and seems to be intent on staying (been more than a week now).

I did another two chats with Palm support in the UK and they suggested first a full erase reset, which as I feared didn't change a thing. Next they had me do a few interactive tests (from the device info app) I guess to confirm the problem? Now they suggest I doctor the device with the latest version of the OS (which I already have running btw), and if that won't work (I doubt it will) they will create a repair ticket and DHL will come and pick up my phone so I don't have to pay for shipment to the repair centre.

Given the fact that I bought an unlocked phone from Germany and am using it in Belgium with a Belgian SIM, I consider this pretty good service. After all they're not even selling them here in Belgium...

I'm hoping they won't repair my pre, but just send me a new one... Anyway, keep you posted...

Wim
    Touchpad 32GB and German O2 unlocked Palm Pre sharing the same profile
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    sorry double post... removed...

Wim
  9. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    My launch week phone started this behavior two days ago. Rapid-fire phantom screen inputs all over the place, scroll/zoom misbehavior, wave bar dancing up and down, etc.

It happens anytime or anywhere. It happens on the touch stone or off it. It happens when driving in my truck, or my car, or walking out in an empty field of grass. It happens at random times, but frequently.

When it starts, the only thing that cures it is turning the screen off and then back on. Once I've cured it in this manner, I might have ten seconds or ten minutes before it starts back up.

I have been smug about my launch-week Pre having no problems; still have usb port cover, no screen scratches, no dead pixels, no power or volume button problems, no more slider free-play than should be expected for such a design, etc. But no longer. Now I am among the downfallen.

In fact at this very moment my Pre has opened PreJeweled and is attempting to play a game by itself.
    Last edited by xtn; 08/09/2010 at 08:25 AM.
    I have this happen too. A restart fixes it which makes me think it's a software issue.
    I think its a problem with his screen maybe u broke part of it ?
    Same problem here. Random touching. Rebooting, pushing the standby button a couple of times or simply wiping the screen helps.

EDIT:
    It happens more and more often.
    Last edited by prenode; 08/11/2010 at 06:55 AM.
    It's driving me insane .
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prenode View Post
    Same problem here. Random touching. Rebooting, pushing the standby button a couple of times or simply wiping the screen helps.

EDIT:
    It happens more and more often.
    That's what happened with mine until the part of the screen where it occurred finally died (the touch sensors).

I had to get a replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by superdog87 View Post
    Is your Pre plugged in when this happens?

I have seen screens go crazy when connected to off-brand chargers.
    I think this is the answer, the same thing happened to me while plugged into a foreign charger
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    That's what happened with mine until the part of the screen where it occurred finally died (the touch sensors).

I had to get a replacement.
    I tried doctoring. Didn't help. I'm going to get it replaced, too.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    I think this is the answer, the same thing happened to me while plugged into a foreign charger
    Do you think a non-Palm car charger may also be the cause?

Wim
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I tried doctoring. Didn't help. I'm going to get it replaced, too.
    I confirm this. I doctored the phone as the last intervention I was instructed by Palm support to try. If that didn't help they would send DHL to collect my phone for repair. So I doctored it yesterday evening and was driven crazy again when trying to enter the passwords required in the restore process to connect to my various accounts... One thing's clear: doctoring didn't change a thing.

I'm getting back to Palm support later today...

Wim
    Quote Originally Posted by ishpuini View Post
    If that didn't help they would send DHL to collect my phone for repair.
    How come Palm sends you DHL? I have to go to the store (MediaMarkt) and leave it there.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    How come Palm sends you DHL? I have to go to the store (MediaMarkt) and leave it there.
    Well... I'm one of those few crazy irresponsible people using a Pre in a country that it's not sold in. In my case Belgium. I simply hinted that I wasn't intending on going all the way to Germany (the origin of the phone) simply because their product didn't work as expected (or sth alike), and they suggested this solution. To be honest, they haven't sent me DHL yet, perhaps one support agent suggested this, and another will tell me to go to Germany nevertheless...

Wim
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast