Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Hi Cal,
    My phone is nearly 2 months old.
    Yes, I've done the logging fix and much more. ATT said they would send me a refurb if I called in and complained. I only see a few with our issue. I don't know how logging would affect a low level piece of code that actually runs way below the OS on the hardware layer that isn't really even interacting with the OS other than passing xy coordinates to the OS during a screen touch.
    I'll strip my patches down to 0 today and start over. It's so random I can't pin it down.
    I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
    If I have to use this thing unmodified then all the joy's out of it for me. I might as well use the iPhone.
    Fountainhead... Thx for the info.

I will attempt a full restart when I get back home (3 days). I will post my results as well.

By the way, my problem is very random as well. It also does it when charging on my touchstone.
    Well... I attempted a full restart and NO LUCK! My wife's pixi is starting to do the same thing now too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    Where is the 'spirit box' and 'EVP' apps needed to communicate with the paranormal entities wanting to play with your Pre?
    May be the Ghost Adventurer doooods are your only hope.. .
    Bob Howard could help, I am sure. Check with the Laundry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain2Me2 View Post
    Hi all, I'm still on my original Pre from launch day...never gave me a problam until now.

Sitting by itself it starts to behave as if someone was touching it...like a Ghost or something

One time it even opened the Call app, and Redialed a #, with speakerphone ON.

The only thing I notice, it that if I try to press the left part of the screen, it doesn't do anything.

If you want I can post a video.
    ya this happened to me last month and i also had an origunal from day ONE. i even had a spot where i couldn't touch(where the install button is on preware). All i did is went into sprint and told them and got a new phone free of charge
    crsman15... Did you have to go to a repair center, or did you go to a regular sprint store?

I am going to have to go as well... this problem is getting out of control!
    Hi All,
    Well ATT guys smirked at me and told me to call cust service, they don't have any Palms in stock and besides they don't give out refurbs at corporate stores anyway.
    The guy claimed to have one, and when he was looking at mine he noticed the "no background" patch on the launcher and he said, are you sure it's not software you've put on here? Cue the smirk again.
    Those guys are hopeless. At least if it were an iPhone I could go to Apple store...Grrr.
    I guess I'll call Cust Serv today and beg them for a used I mean, "refurbished" phone to replace this f*****d up one.
    The "touch" issue is so bad now I can't even use it. It never stops. Used to be intermittent. I baby this phone and it's in great condition.
    My wife does everything with her Centro but pound nails and it's rock solid.
    Palm, where is the quality. I could live with an antenna issue but my gosh, you guys can't even get a touch screen to work?
    Just went to ATT tech center (providentially there is one here in Orlando) and the repair guy didn't even know how to use the Pre, I explained the screen problems, and he saw it and didn't have any explanation, other than he'd never seen anything like that. Really nice guy and he ordered me another phone.
    Should be delivered to my house in a day or two.
    I'm hoping due to the very small sales and thus very low returns my refurb will actually be a new one, but who knows?
    PS: If I didn't return the original phone a 549.00 charge to my account.
    it's gotta be a charging issue. once it touches the touchstone it goes bat**** crazy. i have determined that if i do a full power off and turn it back on, it doesn't do it anymore. at least until it's time to charge again...

anyone have any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fountainhead View Post
    Hi All,
    The guy claimed to have one, and when he was looking at mine he noticed the "no background" patch on the launcher and he said, are you sure it's not software you've put on here? Cue the smirk again.
    In all fairness you can't determine this issue is a hardware issue, before ruling out the fact it's a software issue.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coloneljames View Post
    it's gotta be a charging issue. once it touches the touchstone it goes bat**** crazy. i have determined that if i do a full power off and turn it back on, it doesn't do it anymore. at least until it's time to charge again...

anyone have any thoughts?
    There's enough examples of this happening while on battery power (not charging) that it doesn't HAVE to be while charging. In your case, it may be while on charge.

Mine did it on charge and off charge until part of the touch screen went dead. I replaced it under insurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    In all fairness you can't determine this issue is a hardware issue, before ruling out the fact it's a software issue.
    Oh I don't doubt it could be a software issue but the guy was alluding to that after he saw the clear background patch installed.
    No telling what it really is. I do know that on all the patch threads that I have installed there are no mentions of the touchscreen going bonkers because of any patch currently in Preware.
    Fountainhead...
    I feel your pain. I went in to the sprint repair center today and was told that it was not repairable and that it was a known problem with the pre. Since it is a launch day pre it is out of warranty and I have to use the equipment protection program to replace it. The fee is $100.00 for a refurb pre. All I can say is FORGET that! I am going to try and go to my local store when I get home and see if they can replace it for free. If not I will be saying goodbye to the pre. I refuse to pay $100 for a replacement (refurb) pre after just barely over a year old phone's touch screen goes bonkers. I had the battery issue originally that took several weeks to fix, then the power button had to be replaced and now the touchscreen is bad. Sorry Palm, but your hardware sucks! I love webos and will miss it but if this is not resolved I will be switching phones and carriers.

HardBeatZ...
    I think it is a hardware issue. I have done a full erase and restore my pre to original condition and it is still doing it. If it was software than I believe more people would be experiencing this and we would be able to detect some pattern to this problem.

Good luck to all, and thanks for everyone's help on this issue.
    Cal,
    It's a real pain for me, because I paid 400 for mine to get it outright. That way I avoid activation, etc. My work pays for the data plan and my phone bill and the iPhones every year (I develop product for iPhone/iPod) so I save lots of money that way so I figured it was worth it. It really chaps my a*s that for 400.00 I get a refurb instead of a new one. Oh well according to all I've read the hardware on Palm is not too stable and maybe after geting 3 or 4 replaced I'll feel some satisfaction. I love the phone but not the problems. Good luck to you.

PS: It's a helluva lot of phone for 100.00 I would have paid that in a heartbeat. I'm not upgrading until the new Nokia N900 replacement comes out so that's quite a while yet. I think I'll continue to enjoy my Pre+ until then. Honestly I don't think anything but the new N900 could actually replace it (unless HPalm comes out with something equivalent to the new N9900??) I can hope!
    Mine did this too, I could set and watch it dial - really wild. Random calls at random times, sometimes laying there, even on Touchstone in the middle of the night. It also dropped a million calls.

I was on original Sprint Pre, overclocked with some patches. Doctored, didn't reload anything, started again. I took it to one store who said use insurance and pay, so I drove up the road. Tech very nicely ordered replacement.

I had no adverse conditions - humid, hot, dropped, etc. When I got my "new" refurbished one, it was so much faster, tighter, zero problems. Loaded all the same patches, Uber, Govnah on there and it works perfect.

I really don't think any of the Webos apps made it go wrong, but it is definitely a problem that Doctoring, resets, battery pulls just don't fix.

Run interactive tests and see if anything is "wrong" then go to store irregardless. No one deserves to have phone they can't use.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cal777flyer View Post
    Fountainhead...
    I feel your pain. I went in to the sprint repair center today and was told that it was not repairable and that it was a known problem with the pre. Since it is a launch day pre it is out of warranty and I have to use the equipment protection program to replace it. The fee is $100.00 for a refurb pre. All I can say is FORGET that! I am going to try and go to my local store when I get home and see if they can replace it for free. If not I will be saying goodbye to the pre. I refuse to pay $100 for a replacement (refurb) pre after just barely over a year old phone's touch screen goes bonkers.
    cal777,

Are you sure about the cost in this case? For me, the Sprint Tech center classified it as an electrical failure, which under insurance is $0 cost. It's only if you damage the phone, lose it, etc - not a mechanical or electrical fault of the phone - that you incur the $100 cost under TEP.

So my refurb Pre cost me nothing under insurance and I've got a better phone than my launch week Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    cal777,

Are you sure about the cost in this case? For me, the Sprint Tech center classified it as an electrical failure, which under insurance is $0 cost. It's only if you damage the phone, lose it, etc - not a mechanical or electrical fault of the phone - that you incur the $100 cost under TEP.

So my refurb Pre cost me nothing under insurance and I've got a better phone than my launch week Pre.
    Thank you very much for this info. I am currently out of town in New Jersey and I think I was just getting the run around by an unhelpful store. When I get back to San Diego I am going to try my local store and see what happens. It sounds to me like it should get resolved for free if that is the case.
    Thank you.
    I will update here after I visit the SD store.
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    There's enough examples of this happening while on battery power (not charging) that it doesn't HAVE to be while charging. In your case, it may be while on charge.

Mine did it on charge and off charge until part of the touch screen went dead. I replaced it under insurance.
    you misunderstand me, sorry i wasn't clear. it's doing it while on the touchstone and after i remove it from the touchstone. that is, until i do a complete shutdown. the complete shutdown is the only thing that seems to fix the problem for me. that's why i believe it is related to charging.
    Hi Colonel,

My Pre would do it under all circumstances.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I have one of those "plasma balls", you touch the glass and it brings the electricity to your fingertips. Anyway I have put my Pre next to one of those and it did exactly the "ghost touch" The screen went crazy opening everything and there were a million "taps" all over the screen. When I moved the phone more than a foot away, it would stop and go back to normal.
    On a few other occasions, my phone would have the ghost taps in certain spots in my apartment. After my experiement, I suspect a lot of it has to do with outside electrical interference somehow being near the phone.
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast