Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    touching it self? naughty naughty! it will grow hair on it Palm, and go blind..
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    this just sound wrong.
    IDK if this is your prob, but I mowed the lawn the other day with my pre in poket. Anyhow, pulled it out after the job was done and had 5 or 6 browsers open, my beer knurd app and couple others. Anyhow started to close them down and and stuff was still opening on it's own. I wiped the sweat off if and problem fixed itself... Is your pre sweaty or wet with condensation when this happens?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    IDK if this is your prob, but I mowed the lawn the other day with my pre in poket. Anyhow, pulled it out after the job was done and had 5 or 6 browsers open, my beer knurd app and couple others. Anyhow started to close them down and and stuff was still opening on it's own. I wiped the sweat off if and problem fixed itself... Is your pre sweaty or wet with condensation when this happens?
    It hasn't been with mine. You could look at the screen and see "imprints" appearing where it looked like an invisible finger just touched the screen - they would show up randomly and rapidly across the screen and if they happened to hit an icon, that app would open. I could get lots of cards opening in very rapid fashion. Also, the Quick Launch Bar would do the wave multiple times, just as if an invisible finger was dragging it up the screen.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I haven't been able to correlate this with any actions or environmental effects but now it hasn't occurred for several days.

Dave
    You might have the Britney Spears model (been known to touch itself)
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    You might have the Britney Spears model (been known to touch itself)
    I could only wish. Right now I view it as the Pervert in the Park model.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    i have this happen every now and then its like some apps dont wanna be thrown away and switching back and forth between apps, and goin crazy, i neva doctored my phone b4 kinda lazy but my phone is done none of the buttons work volume, power etc so im bout to send for another but too lazy to do that also
    Mine has acted similarly for a few months and I purchased it early in 2010. I blame the capacitive touch capability. Today when I started to dial one number, it decided to call back a number I had spoken to earlier in the day. Last night I pulled my phone out of my pocket and with no encouragement from me, it launched the dialer and called a number. Yesterday it dialed a number that I had used 4 days earlier while it was in my shirt pocket. Sometimes it will launch various apps at random.

This has happened when I had it in my hand, when it was in my pocket and when on the charger.

I try to swipe off the dialer after each call to reduce the likliehood of a random dial out.

I also suspect that the system sometimes freezes or gets delayed. Perhaps it misreads the entries at that time.

This is one web os capability that I wish was not part of the package.
    I do use a screen protector but don't know why that would create problems.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Mine got to the point where it thought it was being pressed 100% of the time...screen never turned off, and of course battery lasted only a few hours.

Extremely slow, because of the tons of apps it opened by itself, closing them was a science project. It was so bad that right now the replacement phone feels like it has a 1Ghz Processor and 512MB RAM...
    That's what she said!

I'm that bored at work waiting for it to end... -.-
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Same thing started happening to my GSM Pre a few days ago. We have been having a few comparatively hot days here in Belgium (very hot for Belgium, not so on a global scale), so I'm hoping that may cause the problem. However, things have cooled down a bit today and the Pre is still randomly tapping its own screen.

Whenever it happens (i.e. after using it a short while), I just lock the screen. When I unlock it immediately after that, I find I have a few moments to use the phone before the ghost tapping starts again. Sometimes I have a few minutes, sometimes it's just seconds... Pretty annoying...

Wim
    Touchpad 32GB and German O2 unlocked Palm Pre sharing the same profile
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    you guys absolutely need to get your phones replaced.there is no fit for this as it is a hardware defect.i did everything software wise & it did not fix.get in contact with palm now because the screen needs to be replaced.search 'phantom' touches on the forum & you will find some threads on this topic
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenjo2009 View Post
    you guys absolutely need to get your phones replaced.
    That's what I had to do - mainly because my screen stopped this behavior and then I found I lost one touch screen sensor in the display area and two or three in the gesture area.

Whatever is causing it has the potential to kill the sensors.

My (second) refurb Pre I got is perfect - no oreo, perfect screen, etc. The first refurb had the fuzziest screen I've ever seen, making small fonts unreadable.
    i noticed in the other threads that the touchscreen has a tendency to have the lower left pixel blocks to become totally unresponsive.Trying the tests in Device info should also show some of these unresponsive blocks once this problem occurs
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    In my case, the problem has gone away since yesterday evening... Good thing I hadn't done anything to try and solve the problem myself. During a chat with Palm support I got the suggestion to do a full reset of the device, but since I hadn't backed-up my data for a few days I postponed that reset until I had managed the back-up. Fortunately I hadn't gotten round to it yet when the phone seemed to start behaving normally again... I wasn't looking forward to repeating the entire process to get my Pre working (here in Belgium it took me quite a bit of work).

Now I'm thinking that perhaps the phone got a bit moist during the few extremely hot/humid days we had over the week-end and it took a few days to dry out? Longer than I expected, so I had started thinking that wasn't the problem, but now that it's working again...

Giving support to this theory is another observation I casually made over the week-end. I'm an avid photographer and when taking pictures (which I do a lot) I have a habit of putting the lens cap in my pocket. This week-end when I took it out of my pocket to put back onto the lens I noticed a lot of little water drops had gathered on it. I didn't think twice about this and left it out a few minutes to dry before I put it on the lens... Of course the phone spent much more time in my pocket...

I couldn't believe my eyes this morning when the Pre worked normally again and have been taking it out to test repeatedly all over the day (much more frequently than I normally use it). It seems completely back to normal...

This leaves me kinda worried about the environmental sealing of the Palm Pre. As I wrote in my earlier post, things got very hot/humid in Belgium, but no way as extreme as other places on our planet can be in perfectly normal circumstances. Am I supposed to carry it in a closed container with some silica gel next time it can potentially get hot (like on summer holiday)?

Anyway, for the moment my Pre is working again and WebOS 1.4.5 got installed all right as well this morning. So I'm back to being a happy trooper...

Wim
    Touchpad 32GB and German O2 unlocked Palm Pre sharing the same profile
    i posted about this just this morning. random touches, opens apps, dials numbers, save contacts. weird stuff. still haven't seen any explanation re: why it's happening, nor any solutions.
    This started happening to me as well. It started about a week ago and it just comes and goes at odd random times. Resets only fix the problem temporarily and even those do not work sometimes. This is extremely frustrating as I have missed important calls sometimes when this happens. I noticed that all this started a day or two after I changed error logging to minimal according to the directions on the thread for that topic. I have since undone the error logging directions and went back to the original state, but that did not fix the problem.

PLEASE HELP... anyone who has any info to share, it would be greatly appreciated. This is a launch day pre so I don't think sprint will exchange it. I think I have to go through the insurance...(trying to avoid that if I can).
    Hi,
    I have no suggestions. My GSM Pre randomly can do it under almost any circumstance. My screens goes from random touches to screen lock up. It's as if the cap sensor is overloaded and doesn't see any touches at all. Completely random. I'm going by ATT tomorrow and try to explan to them. I don't hold out much hope for convincing them as I'm sure it won't do it while I'm there. I love the phone but if it's not reliable I'm hoping for a refund. I don't have time for an unreliable phone.
    Very frustrating, I agree! Had this phone since launch day with no big problems till this. If anyone has had this problem please share your experience.

Fountainhead... Is your phone still new? Have you done the error logging fix?
    everytime I see this title marvin gaye lets get it on starts playing in my head.
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast