Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    The title of this thread is somewhat misleading.

Try running the Quick and Interactive Tests in the Device menu under preferences.
    Last edited by vza33; 06/29/2010 at 02:38 PM.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    I agree with who ever said give it a good wipe of the screen, seems to be a delayed reaction. It's happened to me before while at the gym the moisture from my face will cause the touch screen to act funny...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Doctor it!
    Use Pre backup utility to save your text messages and just drag everything in your USB mode and put it on the desktop or something and then doctor that sucker! Now that i can save all my text, im no longer reluctant to doctor that bad boy anymore.
    When you say "drag everything in your USB mode" to the PC, you mean everything I see in the right pane when I'm plugged in?

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
    When this thread first appeared, I thought it was funny and wrote it off as one of those weird problems that only happen to one person. Then today, my Pre started doing the same thing! It has taps in the upper right corner only.

A reboot solved the problem for me.
    I have also had this issue starting a few weeks back - random ghost touching coupled with the lower left quadrant of the screen becoming unresponsive to manual touch (and tested same with ##TEST#). Restarting cures the problem until the next occurrence.

I have been trying to isolate the cause - several days ago I stopped using the Touchstone (Palm) and I haven't seen the problem since; and I had usually seen it at least once a day, sometimes when I took it off the Touchstone, other times much later. I'm back using the Touchstone again today to see if it starts up again.

Interesting thing is that when it does happen, apps will launch if the icon takes a "ghost hit". Suddenly, multiple apps were opening in rapid succession - including the phone app which then responded to the ghost touches!

Dave
    so do you have a screen protector ? if so what kind ? are you using oem equipment ? original equipment manufacturer products ? or cable
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    so do you have a screen protector ? if so what kind ? are you using oem equipment ? original equipment manufacturer products ? or cable
    No screen protector. Original equipment. Palm Touchstone when used, otherwise Palm charger and cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparksd View Post
    I have also had this issue starting a few weeks back - random ghost touching coupled with the lower left quadrant of the screen becoming unresponsive to manual touch (and tested same with ##TEST#). Restarting cures the problem until the next occurrence.

I have been trying to isolate the cause - several days ago I stopped using the Touchstone (Palm) and I haven't seen the problem since; and I had usually seen it at least once a day, sometimes when I took it off the Touchstone, other times much later. I'm back using the Touchstone again today to see if it starts up again.

Interesting thing is that when it does happen, apps will launch if the icon takes a "ghost hit". Suddenly, multiple apps were opening in rapid succession - including the phone app which then responded to the ghost touches!

Dave
    After using the Palm Touchstone for the first time in several days to charge the Pre overnight, this ghosting problem occurred again today. It wasn't there when I took it off the charger and used the phone but rather recurred a few hours later - a pattern I've seen in the past. So it *appears* that there is something going on related to use of my Touchstone.

Dave
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I lol'd at your subject line.
    ok, mine exhibited the same behavior as all the above. Randomly (of course). I actually drive to ATT store to try to exchange and the touches stopped...prior to this I removed nearly every patch, Govnah, Uberkernel, etc., and rebooted several times. Very weird.
    has not happened since. I'm resigned to living with it until it's constant and I can harass ATT into replacing.
    Forgot to mention I've repatched everyrhing completely (no Dr.) and so far so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparksd View Post
    After using the Palm Touchstone for the first time in several days to charge the Pre overnight, this ghosting problem occurred again today. It wasn't there when I took it off the charger and used the phone but rather recurred a few hours later - a pattern I've seen in the past. So it *appears* that there is something going on related to use of my Touchstone.

Dave
    its eithe the cable for the touchstone is bad , try using a different cable. if that does not fix it then take the touchstone back for an exchange . thats what i would do anyways .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    its eithe the cable for the touchstone is bad , try using a different cable. if that does not fix it then take the touchstone back for an exchange . thats what i would do anyways .
    Unfortunately, it has reocccurred using just the charger and cable and after charging off the PC with a different cable. As a previous poster noted, doctoring doesn't help either. Given these and that the effects occur in the same regions of the screen randomly and that they can be stopped by shutting down and restarting, I'm now of the opinion that it is an intermittent h/w problem.

Dave
    bow chica bowow
    nice avatar . now if he would tighten up and stay out of trouble we might get another super bowl !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Hi, I don't know if this is a useful contribution but over the weekend I was staying at a hotel and on the bedside table was one of those touch lamps - the ones where you touch the lamp to switch it on and change the brightness - and I saw that while the lamp was on the phone screen was constantly registering touches in the lower centre. When I turned the lamp off the phone cleared itself up after a few seconds.

I'm not very experienced in such matters but could there be some sort of stray electrical field (static or otherwise) which could cause these problems?
    possible it could happen i would guess . does the touch screen work off the electro magnetic field our body produces or something to that effect. i really couldnt explain it personally .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    The lamp is a nice case of electromagnetic interference - EMI - something we worry about in my line of work. Saw it once where a fluorescent light being turned on and off at the far end of a room was affecting an embedded processor. Took a heck of a long time to find out what was causing the odd behavior we were seeing. Surprising that it affected the Pre in that way.

The Pre has a capacitive touch screen (try using a stylus on it - doesn't work) but I haven't been able to find any references to similar problems with these screens in general. I haven't been able to correlate my problems with anything yet - I thought it was related to using the Touchstone but that turned out not to be the case.

Dave
    Thanks for that reply.

I was trying to think if there was any sort of environmental factor in play here. When I'm outside, for example walking in the street, the problem never occurs.

Thanks for your help anyway.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    I experienced the ghost touch yesterday. Restarting my pre solved it
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    After my first post the problem only got worst...got my "new" replacement today!!!

Up to this point I had never thought of installing homebrew...but this replacement will get the treatment right away.

In other news, played with the EVO for about an hour at the Store, the phone itself is the best piece of mobile hardware I've ever seen, the OS not so much. Tested side by side with the Demo PRE...and the rest is history!

I don't think I'll ever see myself using Android. If for some reason I have to switch (ie. HP does nothing with Palm or WebOS) I'd prefer going the Apple way. But hopefully this won't happen and we'll see one of HTC's monsters with WebOS one day!
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast