Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    so my palm pixi plus from verizon was doing this same exact thing, erratically touching itself so i did a soft reset and now ALL OF A SUDDEN my touchscreen is completely and utterly unresponsive. it does nothing. it receives messages, emails, and the like but it will not let me unlock the screen to use it. this has only happened to me today, as of about 2 hours ago so i haven't gotten down to the verizon store yet, but to be honest i like my phone and don't want a new one. i have a palm touchstone, definitely not third party. i did get a new case for it, but i've had my case for weeks now with no problems. i can't even do anything with the screen and i'm kind of at wit's end. Help!
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Have you ever taken the back off? If you have...

Pull the battery on that sucker!

Wait 30 seconds, stick the battery back in there, and power up (press the corner button for a few seconds, until you see Palm logo).

This helps mine when the touchscreen freezes.

I don't see where you have any other alternative.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    @blitzcat: I feel ya; I love my Pre also.

But since my problems started (back in April) all options are currently on the table.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Behavior Update on my Palm Pre Plus (vzw) --

I dialed back my usage, from 8 hours a day to about 3, which really ticked me off. But, I must say, a lot of its naughty behavior has abated. It's not overheating much anymore. The touchscreen doesn't do ghost taps as often. But, old-scratch's-home, that's a no-brainer!

Anyway, back to me being ticked off --

Before April this year, I had a freakin' Cray supercomputer tucked in a pocket *, and now I've got me just another crap iPhone-ish thingy, that makes calls **. That really blows. People just can't appreciate how much I used my phone as a computer. I had 90% -- no freakin' kidding -- of my computer stuff handled by my phone.

The short list of things that weren't easy to do:

- edit layers of high-resolution native images ***

- make fine adjustments to the settings in some of my web-hosted accounts

A quick rundown of the things my phone does better than my quad-core tower computer with its 22-inch screen:

+ Weather - every single lightning strike indicated ****, plus near-live doppler radar, and storm-path polygons (thank you, Weatherbug Elite)

+ Email - the brilliance of webOS email is absolutely unfathomable, until you actually begin see all of your accounts synergized into a single place, and the font is sooooo legible, that it's a dream to use

+ Podcasts - Thanks to DrPodder, I can stream and download the audio from my favorite talk shows (such as Leo Laporte, The Tech Guy); I stream audio over WiFi while I take my bath (didn't mean to gross you out), or I stream off Verizon while I drive from Point A to Point B

+ Wake my **** up - PowerNap is indispensable; there ain't an alarm-clock app on the planet like it; the way you tap-tap and then use the slider; and if your ringtone starts to suck, you can go into Preferences and choose another; higher-power forbid I go to iPhone next; with PowerNap, you look on the left side and it shows how long you'll be sleeping, the right side shows when you're to wake up (and all of this adjusted in real-time as you tap-tap and move the slider); and then you don't have to worry that the alarm isn't going to be loud enough, because you get to hit *test volume* right before you actually set the alarm; developer Kevin Foreman -- you are the man!

+ and then there are all those PHAT Twitter apps: Carbon, Bad Kitty, PHNX, Spaz, and Quick Post

Things it does about as well as my computer --

+ Blogging - adding and editing content, including add and remove images; I can even edit the HTML; how nuts is that? *****

Anyway, I could go on and on.

Who needs a half-million app ecosystem, when you've got 500 great apps?

What the asterisks want to say --

* via overclocking ... and Uberkernel and the Govnah

** but shaped like a river rock, instead of a slab of slate

*** GIMP stuff

**** indicated by a tiny fuchsia circle

***** That blogging app is called POSTER
    Last edited by sullyjohn; 06/28/2011 at 12:13 AM. Reason: I really suck at proofreading
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    The Pre's been freakin' out for about an hour now

For nearly a week, it had been doing so well. Old-Scratch's-Homeplace, I almost thought it was back to normal.

But then I fouled up and sent about 30 emails on it today. So I reckon it's a bit baked at this point.

Oh yeah, then it started drawing obscenities in one of my paint apps [see attached image]. I managed to shoot a quick email of the screenshot to my gmail account.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Another fine creation by the Ghost in the Pre. Does this look anatomically correct to you? And do you reckon the Pre could become a paid artist? Of course, as 'her' manager, I'd have to get a cut.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    After acting pretty well today, it couldn't keep it hands off itself after 9pm. Here are its latest works of art:

I think the first one is supposed to be a bed post. And the second, perhaps a glow stick?

Notice how (after quite a few hours) it moved from column #2 on over to column #3. And notice how it's cycled forward (looping around) ... moving several columns over since yesterday.

App credit: ThermalPad by Fabian Schlieper
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Here's a composite of all four pictures, with the columns numbered:

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    The Pre showed its **** from sunup to sundown today. But, at present, it's acting just fine.* I had many opportunities to get a screenshot of its 'phantom taps.' There seems to be a pattern here where the 'taps' move on to a different column every 24 hours ... because it stayed in column #1 all day.

* Point of fact, I'm listening to (streaming over WiFi) Leo Laporte's "The Tech Guy" podcast via webOS's wonderful DrPodder app as I write this. (Maybe it's all this multitasking that's causing me to make so many typos.)

Another little snag I hit today was with the headphone jack. Yes, I used the headphones today (but I only use them about three times a week). The inside-the-jack-hole switch (I'm guessing) got stuck. This isn't the first time I've had this problem (and it likely won't be the last time either). In the past, I've run everything from q-tips to sharpened matchsticks in and out of that hole. This time, I just kept plugging and unplugging the headphone cord, which didn't do any good. How do I know? I know because, every time I plugged in the the charging cord, the phone's speaker would elicit a sickly-sounding-version of the "duh-dohn" audio notification. (You know, that sound it makes to tell you it's charging.) I've encountered this "side effect of the problem" in the past also, but didn't understand exactly what it meant back then.

And then there's another annoying thing it does when it's having that 'stuck switch' issue: the screen lights briefly when you make physical contact with the phone. It doesn't happen every single time you brush against the phone, but it happens a lot. And if you tap the surface of the screen, or the back plate, rather hard and repeatedly, the screen will always light up. And, when it does, it always shows the golden drag-lock, as if you've pressed the corner button or put the phone on the touchstone.

The solution, as it turns out, is ridiculously simple: Just restart the phone.

Once that's done, it goes back to making healthy "duh-dohn" sounds when you plug in the charging cord.

I should probably get my own thread. But it seems to be a bit late for that now. Anybody agree with me? Helllloooo, is there anybody out there? I guess I'm posting this for my own entertainment. And to get my number of posts up into a decent range.

Seriously, I hope all this garbage I've been writing helps somebody. Or at least lets them know that they're not alone with these problems. Old-Scratch's-Home, maybe I'm the one who's alone here. Maybe the rest of y'all had the proper insurance. Or your phone crapped-out on you while it was still under warranty. Maybe I'm the only who got caught in-between.
    Last edited by sullyjohn; 07/01/2011 at 03:03 AM. Reason: I still suck at proofreading
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    My 16 month old pre started up with this nonsense three days ago. The first problem I have ever had with this wonderful phone. Do not have insurance and am not due for an upgrade until around December. First step has been to take off old screen protector, but note that it has been humid and I have been on the beach. So far, so good. This thread has been a life saver, if only in showing me what I am up against.
    Quote Originally Posted by fed123 View Post
    My 16 month old pre started up with this nonsense three days ago. The first problem I have ever had with this wonderful phone. Do not have insurance and am not due for an upgrade until around December. First step has been to take off old screen protector, but note that it has been humid and I have been on the beach. So far, so good. This thread has been a life saver, if only in showing me what I am up against.
    Take off screen protect no help at all on my pre+. Phantom touch still there and still make my Pre+ unusable

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fed123 View Post
    The Pre got to be so unbearable that I had to go with another phone -- the iPhone 4. It's a great phone, but I'm not happy with it. I'm thinking of sending it back and waiting for the Droid Bionic (by Motorola). I figure if I can't have my webOS, I might as well have a proper Google phone.

I've got a question and an instruction for you:

Has your touchscreen lost sensitivity in a certain region?

Look at your phone while wearing polarized sunglasses or 3D movie glasses, and this will show you where the damage is on your touchscreen; the affected areas will be black.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    I was going run the "device info test" to see if the screen had lost sensitivity but couldn't get the phone to stabilize and was worried that the "ghost" would tap a button causing me to lose all my apps!

Now that I have some temporary stability I will run the "test" and will use your method with sunglasses.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    As The Bard said, taking off the screen protector didn't help, but I will be leaving it off. What the hell at this point? Have noticed that the phone starts acting up when on the touchtone as the lock button starts jumping. Have pulled the battery and changed the touchtone back as I had a few extra ones. Still can't get stabilized to do the device info tests but put on my sunglasses and noticed the dark areas on the touchscreen. Wanted to check my wife's pre for the dark areas, since her phone is fine, but didn't wake up in time. Not going to do a blog here but wanted to be responsive.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    If I'm reading this correctly, you're still using the touchstone, right?

If so, stop. Cut the USB door off with a pair of scissors, leaving the hole always accessible for the charging cord.

My problems were compounded by being hard-headed and insisting on using the touchstone for longer than I should've.

Now, without the ghost being able to drag the lock northward, the Pre's behavior should stabilize a lot.

More details about what I did:

I took the phone apart and separated the keyboard layers. There's a black 'top' layer and white 'bottom' layer. When you separate the two, it seems to un-stick the 'springy' parts in the white layer, which correspond to each key on the black layer ... and, after I did this, my Pre worked much better. Not only did the keyboard work better, but the ghost taps pretty much subsided (at least until a couple of weeks later, when [I suspect] the springiness under the keys deflated again, allowing them to stick ... again).

It's a really risky operation to tear it down that far. You have to be pretty desperate, like I was.

I used .

Good luck, fed123.
    If only I have skill and guts to open my Pre+

If I can open my Pre+ I surely will replace the entire front side, LCD Screen and everything with new one.

For now.., I put my Pre+ back to its box, because phantom touch can't stop and lots of dead area on Touch Sensor. My Pre+ no fun anymore, Veer is my companion for now. I still hoping can grab Pre 3 at reasonable price.. not from opportunist which price very high.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    I realize that the Touchtone is a culprit in this. But as you say it is hard to stop using it especially if it is not exactly clear that it will provide a cure. Noticed for the first time that I couldn't use speed dial for my most frequent contact. Must be the effect of the dead screen. On a positive note, Verizon said I could use my wife's upgrade + $20 to get a new phone. Before the HP nonsense and now this ghost business I was dead set on getting the Pre 3 if Verizon offered it. Now, there is no way that I can stay with these phones. Very sad because it is a great OS.
    WOW! 39 posts on one subject.
    PalmV - Kyo 6035 - 7135 - 650 - 700wx - pre+clocked - pre+2.1 mod - and no Pre3 time to get a Pre2?

June 19 - 8:45am - early order Touchpad. Love it! Used fire sale refund to get another. Rest paid for all accessories. Trying to teach the wife to love it.

support WebOs internals!
    My experience on this lends itself to a few things, but the overall culprit seems to be the USB connector. It can easily get loose from wiggling the connected cable and that seems to start the problems (or enhance them). I've also noticed humidity / moisture can play a role too. It cases the screen or the screen connection to the base of the phone along the slider to get out of whack and then it just gets made worse by the heating of the touchstone or additional moisture/humidity in the air.

And once the problems start with the screen, it won't ever stop. It can go a couple of weeks between 'episodes' or it can go a couple of hours. Usually a battery pull helps to settle things down a bit.

I ended up having my first app page having no apps on it and the only app in my launcher being the turn the screen off app because my phone would start randomly calling people in the middle of the night. Or trying to open/reply to emails (which can also happen from a notification).

I've now dealt with 3 phones. My own was the first and I would load stuff from my PC via WOSQI and such or charge it using a cord often. Next I got one from a friend and after doing some stuff with cords plugged in to get it setup, it started. Finally, a number of months later my wife's phone started doing it. She hardly ever used a cord, put it on the touchstone anytime she was home, and never had a problem until we took some trips and needed to use a cable to charge it.

I got a refurb for mine some 6-8 months ago from Sprint and she moved on to an EVO 3D 2 months back.
    Former Sprint Treo 700p Owner, now Sprint Palm Pre- and HP Touchpad Owner.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    My problem seems to have stopped . . . touch wood. Took off screen saver, put on a different back, did a battery pull. For a short while, it acted up when on the touchtone when it charged to 100%. Currently seems to be in remission.