Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Thank you! This just recently started happening, and I quickly noticed it only happened when the phone was plugged in. Tried a different charger, it was fine. Plugged in to other charger, the screen went crazy again. So glad this was just a simple problem--can't afford a new phone right now!
    Ugh. The phantom attacked my phone (ATT Pre+ launch-day) starting three days ago. It's rapidly gotten worse to the point of being unusable at times. It definitely seems worse when it's warmer so I've been keeping it off the touchstone. I have insurance but I'm not sure I want to go through that nonsense. Instead, I've been researching the Veer. Looks like I'll get it as a stop-gap until the Pre3 comes out, then I'll pass the Veer to my wife. Either that or I'm gonna have to pop the SIM out and drop it into my old Centro which feels like a tank next to the Pre.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Well, my new batteries came in the mail today. Got a pair from Amazon for less than $10, that's with S&H. Too good to be true, I know. We'll see.

I now have both batteries charged up and ready to go. But I haven't used the phone long enough to see if the 'phantom taps' are still there. (I guess I'm afraid I'll get really depressed if this doesn't work out.) The new battery's charge seems to last longer (on standby).

The crack (running out of the USB socket) grew a little bit last week. Now it is turning the corner that'll put it on the face of my screen soon. I've got to put the brakes on that crap, so I'm trying to figure out what the screen is made of. Some kind of plastic; I know that much. I just want to know if KrazyGlue will work on it, which is what I'll likely try on it tomorrow.

Update: Better than my crazy KrazyGlue idea, read what Pelikan3 has to say about using black epoxy; here's the link:

http://forums.precentral.net/cdma-no...sb-cracks.html

TO BE CONTINUED...
    Last edited by sullyjohn; 06/13/2011 at 11:41 PM. Reason: missing words, updated
    I have phantom phone too. I've tracked it to the headphone jack, the phone thinks headphones are being put in and out. The only fix is to clean the jack with alcohol on a qtip
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Well, more batteries didn't help. I minimized use that first day of having the new batteries in, just so I could enjoy the idea that maybe it was working. Nope; definitely got 'phantom taps' again. Each time it starts doing it, I just kill the screen by tapping the corner button ... and then I come back a few minutes later to see if I can anything done.

Nick, I have previously tried cleaning the headphone jack with a stripped down q-tip. It DID seem to help with the phone self-waking on the touchstone, but I don't use the touchstone anymore. And my reason for never using it again has EVERYTHING to do with the phantom taps. Because when it drags that gold lock upward, and starts launching programs, just about anything can take place ... and in short order too. I'll try cleaning the headphone jack again -- this time WITH alcohol. Maybe I'll think to remove the battery beforehand.
    I would not expect anything to do with batteries or headphones to affect this behaviour.

My working theory is that transferred strain pressure from the USB socket causes flexing and intermittent contact at the point where the touchscreen flexible cable attaches to the OMAP board. And then this intermittent contact is supply voltage dependent.

On the other hand, the phone thinking that headphones are being plugged in and out is definitely due to bad contacts inside the headphone jack. But that's a completely different set of symptoms from the touchscreen phantom behaviour. Both are related to wear and tear on hardware connections due to physical stressing.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    For now, I've chickened out of the whole 'black epoxy' thing. I figure "drilling" holes in the plastic face with a hot needle will definitely increase the repair fees (just on a 'defacing' principle), if I ever decide to fork over the $200 to $400 to 'send it back.' Why couldn't Palm have dreamed up a reasonable amount for repairs ... like, say, $100? I asked them that very question, and it was non-negotiable. I'm sure they're laughing their a$$es off, because this is one Pre that they didn't have to replace.

Before the crack spreads around to where you notice it on the face, I'm going to shoot another video of my phone, just to show how truly pristine it (otherwise) is. Maybe then I'll break out the black epoxy ... and Robocop that mutha.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Thanks, Rod. Here's a theory I like:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...n-plastic.html

Scroll down to post #19 on page 1: Recalibration does not help and if bad enough can put the device into a recalibration loop.

When the phantom taps occur, I think maybe my Pre is in a recalibration loop, because the taps oftentimes 'fire' sequentially, from the bottom of the screen -- with even spaced taps -- to the top of the screen ... hence the drag-lock upward gesture when on the touchstone.

Of course, other times, it just seems to tap in one spot ... usually in the lower-left quadrant, about an inch from the corner, 3/4 of an inch inward from each side.
    Last edited by sullyjohn; 06/14/2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: inaccuracy
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I would not expect anything to do with batteries or headphones to affect this behaviour.

My working theory is that transferred strain pressure from the USB socket causes flexing and intermittent contact at the point where the touchscreen flexible cable attaches to the OMAP board. And then this intermittent contact is supply voltage dependent.

On the other hand, the phone thinking that headphones are being plugged in and out is definitely due to bad contacts inside the headphone jack. But that's a completely different set of symptoms from the touchscreen phantom behaviour. Both are related to wear and tear on hardware connections due to physical stressing.

-- Rod
    Rod, has anyone ever successfully gone in there and fixed the problem as you've described it? Or does it always end up back at the Palm shop?
    Quote Originally Posted by sullyjohn View Post
    Rod, has anyone ever successfully gone in there and fixed the problem as you've described it? Or does it always end up back at the Palm shop?
    I wouldn't advise going in there unless you're an experienced SMT technician.

It's an order of magnitude more difficult than a comms board swap.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by sullyjohn View Post
    Thanks, Rod. Here's a theory I like:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...n-plastic.html

Scroll down to post #19 on page 1: Recalibration does not help and if bad enough can put the device into a recalibration loop.

When the phantom taps occur, I think maybe my Pre is in a recalibration loop, because the taps oftentimes 'fire' sequentially, from the bottom of the screen -- with even spaced taps -- to the top of the screen ... hence the drag-lock upward gesture when on the touchstone.

Of course, other times, it just seems to tap in one spot ... usually in the lower-left quadrant, about an inch from the corner, 3/4 of an inch inward from each side.
    I'm not aware of any recalibration function that could go wrong.

My theory is the even spacing will be due to the physical arrangement of the pins on the connector in question.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I tried to write the previous post from my Pre, but the screen started going nuts -- phantom tap here, phantom tap there -- and it hit the blame 'back' button before I could press the 'post' button. So I had turn the computer back on and do it this way. Sucks.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    The way this has all played out has made me really PO'd (and then I'll kind of 'zen out' for a while, before going back to PO'd). I've even thought of going the ETF (early termination fee) route ... and getting an iPhone4. But then I think about the wonderful webOS and the hundred or so apps I've paid for. Oh yeah, and I've also thought of saying screw smartphones altogether ... and not paying either Palm or Verizon another red cent. Because what kind of sense does it make for me to pay them another $560 for a cool-**** phone that doesn't work right?
    Last edited by sullyjohn; 06/14/2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: getting censored for foul language
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    For starters, there’s the ETF (Early Termination Fee) of $350 for an advanced device (aka smart phone).

Supposedly, they make the ETF a little more bearable by subtracting $10 from the $350 for every full month that I’ve paid my bill. According to my figuring, my Palm Pre arrived on April 13, 2010, and I likely didn’t get my first bill until one month later, on May 13th. By sometime this month (June 2011), I will have paid in 14 months worth of payments ($1,120). Anyway, $140 is to be deducted from my $350, leaving me with an ETF of $210.

Then there’s the restocking fee of $35.

Then there’s the activation fee of $35, purportedly. (I can find no evidence of the actual amount on Verizon’s website.)

Plus, I’ve got to pay to ship it back. Let’s say $35 for this. And maybe this gets reimbursed if the phone is in pristine condition, which it isn’t … because it’s got the crack in the plastic that runs from the USB port to the edge of the screen.

Verizon Wireless suggests that I use FedEx to ship it back, so that the device can be properly tracked. They’re totally against using the USPS, and under no circumstances will they pay reimbursement on this particular postage.

SUMMARY OF COSTS

TO LIMP:
    Continue onward with a somewhat broken device for another 7 months (I doubt the device will survive that long) … and then, $560 later ($80 per month x 7 mos.), be eligible for “2 and new” on December 13th.

To repair the Pre and have it shipped back to me: $300 estimated

To ETF ($210), pay for damages ($300 estimated), and have no phone: $510

To ETF ($210), pay for damages ($300 estimated), and have new iPhone4 contract: $710.

TO ETF ($210), pay for damages ($300 estimated), and have new Pre 2 contract: $610

Here are the links:

Verizon Wireless - Return Policy and Termination Fee

Verizon Wireless - Return / Exchange Procedures

Verizon Wireless Community - Activation Fees discussed

Verizon Wireless Support - List of Advanced Devices

Verizon Wireless Support - Consumer Brochure PDF

ZD Net entry - Activation Fee is $35

pcmag.com mentions $10 per month pro-rated decline

cnet news mentions $10 per month pro-rated decline also
    Last edited by sullyjohn; 06/15/2011 at 03:14 AM. Reason: typo
    just a raport:

bought a pre plus from amazon.de three weeks ago due to the selftouching (and it became somewhat constant) issue (all to be read in this thread).

so now i have a pre- and a pre+ and i can confirm that
    1) a new battery is better than an old one (O.O)
    2) the charging-not-charging-cycles on ts disappeared with the new back cover
    3) no matter what battery in what device the pre- always has the phantom touches
    (sometimes its not very obvious but for instance zooming with two fingers pretty often exposes a third ghost finger that must be somewhere interacting with the screen too)
    4) didnt do a doctor to the pre- and just set up a brand new profile so i can say, the battery on the pre+ lasts a lot longer (even the old one, health rated below 50%) than on the pre-. i suspect to have services in the background that dont really care for settings and somehow do more things on the old pre. i suspect the facebook app to be a drainer even when set to do nothing when closed. so i didnt even install it on the new one because email notify and the fb web app is absolutely sufficient and synergy does not need the app.

as said many times before i am completely with rod about the causes of the phantom scenario.

the only thing i additionally claim is that next to voltage and physical issues there must be moisture and temperature included too to explain the behaviour and its coming and going. like cracks, moisture and dirt creeps slowly into the guts of your pre and the sensible connections to the screen and create an environment that makes the phantom touches appearing more and more likely. mine developed it without any cracks, it doesnt even have a broken usb door for it wasnt used so often at all.

the bad thing is, because of this: you get very often false positive results when you start doctoring the software or anything. its like yeah today the weather is fine, must be because i finished my plate yesterday
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I just had a nice long chat with Verizon Wireless, where the lady's main point of leverage against my "terminating early" was that "surely I wanted to keep my phone number." Again and again and again, she stressed this point.

What this lady doesn't know, or didn't care to share, is that there's a trick where you can get Google Voice to grab your cell number for you, and you get to keep it forever and ever and for always for just a one-time fee of $20.

I found out that I owe Palm absolutely nothing. That if I "terminate early" I will have to pay a $210 fee to Verizon Wireless ... and that's it. Then I can get me a new Pre 2 for $100 (by signing a brand-spanking-new, 2-year agreement). Or I can get that iPhone4 for $200.

And that's a much shorter version of the tale than that batch of hypotheticals I hatched above. Sorry to've wasted so much of your time on that. Now I'm just going to sleep on it before I make up my mind. $310 vs. $410. Zzzzzz. Wait on Pre3 to never come to Verizon. Zzzzzzzzz. Wait on iPhone5 to come out, probably late this year or June 2012. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Goodnight all.
    Last edited by sullyjohn; 06/15/2011 at 06:12 AM. Reason: missing hyphen, comma added
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Couldn't sleep. Kept remembering things that Verizon lady said. Like how they didn't have any certified pre-owned Pre Pluses, and that if I wanted a Pre Plus from them that it'd have to be a new one, and that I'd have to pay retail, which she said was $600.

And then I said, "What if I find a way to make it till December 13th and 'two and new'? What exactly would be the benefit of that?" And she said, "You get a $30 credit." My jaw (theatrics) nearly slammed through the floor. I couldn't believe how ludicrous this conversation was becoming. Here she and I are, both of us knowing that I'm going to have to fork out hundreds of dollars no matter what, and she's stressing how I'm going to save $30 on my next contract. This conversation was fast-turning another corner and becoming hilarious too. She continued, "If the iPhone4 remains at $200, you'll get $30 off that. And the Pre 2 comes with an additional $50 rebate, bringing your savings on that particular device to $80."

Worth noting: I'm acting as if this is verbatim from the conversation. But it isn't. And, no, I didn't have a voice recorder going at the time ... but I can still hear that woman's voice in my head.

Continuing on --

So, the best deal that they're going to offer me, even if I hold out for "two and new," is a discount of less than a $100? And only $30 savings on the iPhone4. That's crazy. That's like no savings at all. Not on a $1,920 two-year contract. $30 is less than 2%. Verizon must be completely nutters.
    Last edited by sullyjohn; 06/15/2011 at 07:22 AM. Reason: missing numeral, an 'a'
    @sullyjohn: some day you should write a book
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I've got what is possibly a dumb question. I'm known for those from time to time. It's basically how you know you're in a phone conversation with me, instead of my smarter twin (aka The Mick) whom I share the same voice with.

MY QUESTION:

If I ETF'd my Pre+ on Verizon, would I still be able to use it to connect to the Internet using my home's AT&T wireless router?

ETF'd defined: Paid the $210 Early Termination Fee to get out of my contract with Verizon.

Footnote: I barely need a smartphone as a phone. I need it far more as a mobile computer. And then during emergencies I need for it to do its phone thang. Most months, I use just 30 minutes of my 450 -- and I have paid freaking $40 a month, just for that!!!

Oh yeah, and I'd like to do a little redirection to a Precentral Forums entry that has my full attention now: Pre2 vs iPhone4 (sadly, this thread seems to've been written prior to the two phones coming out, WT?)

@gnark: I'm just padding out my post total so that I'll be eligible to download WebOS Repair Utility 2.1 (10 post minimum required). No, I'm just kidding. Oh boy, I can hear the beating wings of the censors as they hover over my head. No, Gnark, I'm just trying to exorcise (like a demon) all of my woe-is-me, sadly-superficial, where's-my-instant-gratification, material-world whining.
    Last edited by sullyjohn; 06/18/2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: missing 'just'; rephrased; reformatted
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Boy, I'm really in a pickle now. Thinking twice about ETF-ing with Verizon's tiered data pricing to soon to be in effect. July 7th seems to be that pivotal date, where pricing will shift from $30 per month for unlimited data ... to $30 for 2 GB and $50 for 5 GB. Woo-wee, that's crazy! Because usually, when my phone's in good working condition, I land somewhere just over the 2 GB number, which would put me in the $50 range.

Here's a PreCentral entry on the subject.