Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    back on the party of self touchers since 2 days now.

this time its not ts related at all but fires at will.

as said before: its a combination of a hardware build weakness and currency or electromagnetic fields and moisture, it started again after i got kind of wet in a thunderstorm, now its touching itself on spots that are all on the center line between left and right.

guess i ve to wait until it "drys" again, and i want the veer finally
    sigh...

living in germany the veer is like 4 weeks ahead. but cannot use my pre- anymore in a reliable way no matter if on ts, no matter what kernel, no matter what circumstances, it comes and goes at random, its not even really bad like a machine gun, its just "sometimes here and there" rendering plain tasks uncompletable all the sudden, in a very annoying way.

take this post as an explicite whining one!

i just ordered a pre plus on amazon.de for like eur 160, to release my suffering within days.

then i will have joined the club of multiple pre owners right before owning an additional veer.

baaaahhhhh!!!
    as the title goes... it went berserk suddenly. tried everything, removed screen protector, protected casing, reset, etc....
    then i tried removing the battery and not putting it back in for a few minutes. then it stopped going berserk... just weird.

i hope it stays like that and will not happen again...

*** is happening with these units...
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jossanaijr View Post
    Wow! Mine is becoming touching itself addicted! I discovered yesterday that during the night while in touchstone it unlocked itself and made "some calls", including 8 calls to a number equivalent to 911 in USA! Dangerous...

Trying other methods including installing patches: Preset Reset and Temperature Warnings. I notice that my Pre shows high temperatures when in Touchstone...

Just another report...
    Please keep us posted on whether or not the new battery is still taking care of the problem.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    As my Pre Plus has continued to deteriorate and become almost totally useless, I've spent a lot of my time reading the Palm and PreCentral forums. My phone has been doing the 'phantom touches' for about a month and a half; it started doing it on about the same day that my warranty expired (4/13/2011). I love webOS and even the less-than-perfect phone. I've tried durn-near everything. So, what am I currently trying? Well, I removed the theme I got from Preware. And, this morning, I plan on shimming the battery on both ends (not just at the top). Go to YouTube and find my 'Ghost in the Pre - May 29, 2011' video; there, I go by the username of 'sullivanradley.' Just so y'all don't waste your breath on certain specific recommendations: I've cleaned the screen with a proper lens cloth; I've always only used Palm cabling; I've had this problem ON and OFF the charger (although taking it off the touchstone does help, due to the fact that the 'phantom' frequently gestures upward, simulating the same action you perform when you 'drag the lock'); the phone has never been dropped, nor has it ever gotten wet (although it's humid as {Lloro, Colombia, South America} here, it's barely even seen drops of rain). If someone ever DEFINITIVELY figures this out, they need to post it in a prominent place. I screwed myself when I didn't get the $7-per-month insurance. But, then again, I likely wouldn't have been able to stretch my dollars for this long had I taken that route; Verizon's $80-per-month gouging doesn't leave much for insurance.
    Last edited by sullyjohn; 05/30/2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: typo, humidity location error
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullyjohn View Post
    . . . although it's humid as Hades here . . .
    I would've thought Hades was bone-dry, but after growing up in Houston, hmmm . . .
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    * Tried removing a Preware installed theme. DID NOT HELP. Still getting ‘phantom touches’ right down the middle of the screen. The touches are occurring with the phone off the charger, whilst it's in my hand and am trying to use it.
    * Just cleaned the screen with a Zeiss lens cloth. Allowing it to dry; let’s see if that changes anything. DID NOT HELP.
    * Removed every image in the Scrims picture folder (background images that are left behind by themes). Gritted my teeth and got this done; phone was acting crazy the whole time; powered down in an attempt to reset the insanity.
    * Before I reboot I will attempt to shim the battery on both sides. I failed at that. Was going to use bits of a credit card (as seen in a YouTube video). Couldn’t get it to fit at bottom. Noticed that the battery didn’t fit exactly right at top-right. Ended up installing a teensy square of credit card at the top, positioning it to the right of middle. Now doing the long restart. Well, shimming the battery with a credit card DID NOT HELP; taps are still going right up the center of screen; a bad place, ‘cause this is where most of the action takes place on the Pre.
    * I’m down to just two ideas: bad battery or bad touchscreen hardware.
    Last edited by sullyjohn; 05/30/2011 at 10:52 PM. Reason: missing word
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Same happened to me. I replaced my launch day Pre- with a refurb & now all is fine. From what I have found, this is in fact a hardware issue, and not software. My Sprint rep took care of me, knew what the issue was, and when I got to his store, he already had switched my service to the refurb, handed me the phone, and told me to let him know if there was anything else he could do for me. In a world where "customer service" is so hard to fine, I can say that I am truly impressed with that level of service!
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Have yet to go see what the Verizon-store folks have to say about replacing my barely-out-of-warranty Palm Pre, but I have a feeling I'm not going to like it. I've got 7 long months ahead of me before I'm 'two and new,' and -- other than trying to replace the battery AND making that dreaded trip to the Verizon store for the bad news -- I don't know what I'm going to do about this self-pleasuring smartphone. What if I want to get in on the action and make a phone call? I reckon I got about 50/50 shot of getting a call out before I lose patience and through it against the wall. I like brandonp2's comment about Sprint taking care of him. I don't think I'm going to fare as well with Verizon. But we'll see. To be continued...
    why don't you call palm support line - maybe they will take care of you - worst case is no change.

They took care of mine in warranty.
    Please keep us posted on whether or not the new battery is still taking care of the problem.
    The problem return with the new battery. I replaced again to the old one and the problem was worse. Then I return to the new one and almost could not use the phone for one long crazy screen day... Then, as I was trying to see if using cable instead of TS, my screen broke near USB (posted photos in another topic). It had a little damage since my first week when the phone had falled twice. Was that the cause? Since then, with the screen broken near USB, no more "touch itself" problem (have to wait to see if THIS is solved) BUT now my screen had the middle and left lower border that does not respond anymore to touch... One problem replaced for another...

Pictures in this post: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...oblem-end.html
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    * One big bit of forgetfulness on my part was that I left my phone in Developer Mode for a long period of time, likely months. This is not recommended. And, although unlikely, a ghost may have found it’s way in.
    * So, long story short, I finally took the blasted phone out of DevMode. And did a restart. And we wait and see if there is still a ghost in the Pre. And the answer is already a resounding YESSS!!! With touches right up the kisser (the middle).
    * After ‘doctoring,’ I deleted some apps: Art of Glow and Tonal Pool. I really liked them both. Talked to a Verizon store rep this afternoon and she told me to call a techie. So, I talked to a fella from Nebraska this evening. And he said I might try deleting some apps, saying that some might be ‘buggy.’ He also got me to *228, and then punch a 2 … to update my roaming. Both Verizon employees said that I might try looking on ebay and craigslist for a used Pre, but he!! my phone is in much better shape than any I’ve seen for under a $100. Although the ‘taps’ have temporarily cleared up, I now have an issue where the screen won’t cut off. I’ve instructed screen to turn off in 30 secs AND 1 min, and neither turn the screen off AT ALL. But I FIXED THIS with a power down and a restart. Hmmm, things are getting interesting. The oddest freakin thing has happened -- after I Doctored my phone: I KEPT my contacts, LOST my SMS messages, KEPT my photos / images, and MOST of my apps FAILED to reinstall automatically. Where’s the logic in that? Jeez, I never would’a thunk that it would’ve gone down like that. But God bless the little Pre’s soul, the phantom taps are staying away. Even if things do go back to normal, this month and a half of trouble has left a really bad taste in my mouth. I've been wanting to throw this sucker for two days. But I haven't forgotten the full year of webOS bliss. To be continued...
    Last edited by sullyjohn; 06/01/2011 at 10:55 PM. Reason: missing words
    Phantom touches are caused by intermittent connections inside the device or some other hardware circuit problem. There is no software solution, and devmode has nothing to do with it.

Note that intermittent means that it might come right for a couple of days or even weeks. I have two devices myself that do this.

You need a hardware repair to fix it.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Phantom touches are caused by intermittent connections inside the device or some other hardware circuit problem. There is no software solution, and devmode has nothing to do with it.

Note that intermittent means that it might come right for a couple of days or even weeks. I have two devices myself that do this.

-- Rod
    I agree with you Rod, and when my first Pre developed this condition a year ago I found no correlation with anything - it was random and intermittent (and I replaced it).

Given your hardware/software background, and knowledge of the Pre, does overclocking the processor stress any element of the touch screen above normal? I've wondered if the system clock affects the touch circuitry.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

-- Rod
    * One big bit of forgetfulness on my part was that I left my phone in Developer Mode for a long period of time, likely months. This is not recommended. And, although unlikely, a ghost may have found it’s way in.
    * So, long story short, I finally took the blasted phone out of DevMode. And did a restart. And we wait and see if there is still a ghost in the Pre. And the answer is already a resounding YESSS!!! With touches right up the kisser (the middle).
    * After ‘doctoring,’ I deleted some apps: Art of Glow and Tonal Pool. I really liked them both. Talked to a Verizon store rep this afternoon and she told me to call a techie. So, I talked to a fella from Nebraska this evening. And he said I might try deleting some apps, saying that some might be ‘buggy.’ He also got me to *228, and then punch a 2 … to update my roaming. Both Verizon employees said that I might try looking on ebay and craigslist for a used Pre, but he!! my phone is in much better shape than any I’ve seen for under a $100. Although the ‘taps’ have temporarily cleared up, I now have an issue where the screen won’t cut off. I’ve instructed screen to turn off in 30 secs AND 1 min, and neither turn the screen off AT ALL. But I FIXED THIS with a power down and a restart. Hmmm, things are getting interesting. The oddest freakin thing has happened -- after I Doctored my phone: I KEPT my contacts, LOST my SMS messages, KEPT my photos / images, and MOST of my apps FAILED to reinstall automatically. Where’s the logic in that? Jeez, I never would’a thunk that it would’ve gone down like that. But God bless the little Pre’s soul, the phantom taps are staying away. Even if things do go back to normal, this month and a half of trouble has left a really bad taste in my mouth. I've been wanting to throw this sucker for two days. But I haven't forgotten the full year of webOS bliss. To be continued...
    I talked to Palm via Chat for four hours last night. The techie walked me through ERASE USB DRIVE and SECURE FULL ERASE ... and then later I did a FULL ERASE by myself. The 'phantom taps' have diminished for now ... but, intermittently, they still show up. What I found most amazing about this last procedure was that, after the FULL ERASE, my battery lasts a lot longer. Possible explanations: there's virtually nothing on the device -- I haven't restored any pictures and only a handful of apps. Previously, on the Pre, I had about 225 apps, 50 songs, and 2,500 images. They weren't taking up a whole lot of space, but there were quite a lot of files in total: 3,400 (5 GB). Battery related -- it's possible that some apps were scheduled to run in the background, maybe even maliciously ... or maybe I just forgot I had them running. But I keep a close eye on things like that; I get it to fetch Gmail every 15 minutes and Yahoo! mail every hour ... but something else, unbeknownst to me, could've been running. I think I'm mostly done here with the story of my Pre+ screen issues. My seemingly final opinion is that the touchscreen issue IS related to the tiny crack at the USB socket, and now by squeezing the phone in the slightest way (by holding it tightly in my hand OR having it in my jeans pocket) it causes THE PHANTOM to awaken ... and it ain't long before he's tapping out a tune in his favorite music-composition app. I appreciate a living legend (Guru Rod) sharing his two-cents, except it's probably more like a Benjamin's worth of advice ... and certainly not less than a Jefferson's.
    Last edited by sullyjohn; 06/01/2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: missing words
    The USB port has had an effect on phantom screen touches on one of my devices. I expect it is flexing the circuit board which in turn jiggles the flex cable connection to the touchscreen.

BTW, the extra battery is because you have no facebook or twitter or email background processes continually downloading stuff ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Evidently, I had more to say on this subject than I gave myself credit -- I really, really, really would like to stick with webOS. I love how efficiently it gets you places and just gets things done. The card-flick multitasking is freaking amazing to me. It allows me to research and create content extremely fast -- specifically, I'm talking about blogging with text and images, and then being able to go back in there, edit it, and re-post in a matter of seconds (see Poster For WordPress app, if this is your thing too). Got sidetracked for a second -- Going to iPhone 4 (or 5) would be like going over to the dark side (although, I must admit, I am curious). In the past, over a period of a couple of years, I've briefly handled three friend's iPhones. And, I must admit, they are pretty cool. But it ain't got squat on webOS, or the Pre+'s highly-original 'pebble' shape. But all that moving-parts coolness comes at a price: longevity issues -- keys wear out (or don't work right in the first place [see Verizon Pre Plus]), the slider gets a bit stuck or -- worse -- it Oreos on you. The plastic wrap-around screen of the Pre+ is, as it turns out, a huge design flaw ... a flaw I think they rectified on the Pre2 and Veer, which comes with a non-wraparound Gorilla-glass touchscreen. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
    Last edited by sullyjohn; 06/01/2011 at 11:52 PM. Reason: missing words
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    The USB port has had an effect on phantom screen touches on one of my devices. I expect it is flexing the circuit board which in turn jiggles the flex cable connection to the touchscreen.

BTW, the extra battery is because you have no facebook or twitter or email background processes continually downloading stuff ...

-- Rod
    I deleted my Facebook account months ago ... and the app too. And I would hardly ever tell one of my Twitter apps to run in the background. And, if I did, I usually planned on having the Pre parked on the touchstone for that period of time ... and then I'd turn off 'run in background' when I'd leave the house.

I could be way off, but I think the touchscreen issue has to do with the crack (running up toward the screen from the USB port) ... that SQUEEZING the plastic screen (even slightly) flexes the underlying capacitive layers. And then the splashes have to get their freak on.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    My vertical 'phantom touches' (racing from bottom to top) have moved one icon-column to the left now; this is as related to where they were yesterday, which was right up the very center of the touchscreen. Oddly, they seem to 'persist' in a specific column for several days, prior to moving on to the next adjacent column to the left. There may be no pattern to this madness; it may just, for now, seem that there is.

I agree with the multitude, who have said that it's a hardware-related problem and that I need to ship it back for repairs. However, I'm not going to be able to continue to pay the $80-per-month carrier bill AND come up with the $200 for the repair bill ... So I'm screwed. End of story.

Thanks for the help everyone.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    mine went in last week, seemed to get worse when the battery temp was higher. Didn't do it when in the low 20's or below. Now waiting to see if it gets repaired for free, I get a refurb replacement or they want em to cough up, which I wont, Never dropped the phone and it was in mint condition. Do like the palm pre but sadly I think now getting out of date. The one thing I have noticed is with a crappy nokia temp phone supplied by the store is just how long the battery lasts. 4 days and its only gone down 1 bar. lol