Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I'm still waiting for Palm or someone to fix the GPS glitch where after a couple of days GPS begins to "fail to find your location," forcing me to wait while I restart the phone. I'm wondering why this happens? How can GPS just stop working?? Very frustrating and the biggest (for me) shortcoming with the Pre (Sprint).
    Have you contacted Palm in regards to this issue?
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    HardBeatz, are you implying that you (or Palm) have never heard of this issue? This was reported as early as June 2009, the same month the Pre came out. There are numerous posts in the Palm Support forums.

I have no idea if it's a hardware or software problem, but it's been around since day 1.

Palm Pre GPS Issues - Palm Support Forum
    I have the same experience. I posted in the Palm forum many moons ago, but got no traction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    HardBeatz, are you implying that you (or Palm) have never heard of this issue? This was reported as early as June 2009, the same month the Pre came out. There are numerous posts in the Palm Support forums.

I have no idea if it's a hardware or software problem, but it's been around since day 1.

Palm Pre GPS Issues - Palm Support Forum
    No I personally have not heard of the issue, I am one person it's nearly impossible for me to keep tabs on every post on both Precentral and the Palm forums on everything that is listed, not only that then I have to filter out legitimate issues versus user error versus preware related problems, so no I have not heard of the issue being an issue.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    It's pretty random and difficult to duplicate. For me, GPS works fine for any number of days. Then, when I try to use it, it fails to locate. I just get the tower location, not my actual location. A reset of the device fixes it every time, but for an unknown period of time. This has been happening since day 1 w/ my Pre and persists thru each version of webOS. I don't have any homebrew and have never Dr.'d my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    No I personally have not heard of the issue, I am one person it's nearly impossible for me to keep tabs on every post on both Precentral and the Palm forums on everything that is listed,
    No offense, I know you do a great job assisting people here, but this issue has been brought up in these forums as well as the Palm support forums for the past year, so it's not like it's an isolated issue that's easy to miss, especially for Palm.

In any case, since Palm surely has to know about it, it seems to me that if it's a hardware issue, there's not much they can do to fix it except to change phones. If it's software related, then either it's a low priority for them or they don't have the manpower to figure it out.

I don't use GPS that much but I've had the problem periodically. A reboot of the phone always fixes it for me. The initial location is several miles off, it's almost as if they use cell towers to get an initial "close fix" and then the GPS kicks in to give an accurate location.

When the problem occurs, it will give a location several miles away and then doesn't update with the "true" location.
    There was also a front-page story about it here a month or two ago.
    I've come to the conclusion that the Pre's GPS and WiFi receptor sucks big time. Also, instant messaging also sucks too. I figured Palm was running low on cash, so they didnt spend too much on the Pre
    Last edited by Jason Black; 06/22/2010 at 09:22 PM.
    as the developer of 2 GPS Based apps, I an verify, the GPS and location services, suck bad, they can randomly stop working and only a restart will help.

Abe
    Personally haven't had any GPS issues with my Pre on Sprint, but I'm in Denver, and we seem to have very good coverage/service here...maybe I'm just lucky.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    I usually reboot (option-sym-r) my Pre every night before I go to bed. Haven't had any issues with the GPS since I started doing that. This has been since mid June 2009. Prior to doing the reboot every night, the GPS would have issues every couple of days, if not daily.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    I usually reboot (option-sym-r) my Pre every night before I go to bed. Haven't had any issues with the GPS since I started doing that. This has been since mid June 2009. Prior to doing the reboot every night, the GPS would have issues every couple of days, if not daily.
    i dont want to have to reboot just to fix the fact that Palm cant provide good enough hardware/software. WebOS is a winner, but they destroyed it all with this crappy hardware and terrible wifi/gps and instant messaging. I'll be waiting for that new device till Jan. Hopefully HP can funnel enough cash into it and give us a good enough hardware and improved WebOs.
    I use my Sprint GPS in SoCal all of the time and I do not have this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I use my Sprint GPS in SoCal all of the time and I do not have this issue.
    Must be something in the smog.
    Lately I'm having the same trouble. Can't find location. My GPS use to be awsome. I would rave about it. Never had a problem. Now, almost everytime, I get the error message. Haven't tried the reboot thing. So I can't say if that fixes it.
    Add me to the list of people having the same issue with the GPS being unable to figure out my location every once and a while. Like the rest a reset will do. Kinda sucks to have to do this while in the car waiting for the restart to complete.

I have a Sprint Launch day Pre
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
    Quote Originally Posted by mpagano View Post
    Lately I'm having the same trouble. Can't find location. My GPS use to be awsome. I would rave about it. Never had a problem. Now, almost everytime, I get the error message. Haven't tried the reboot thing. So I can't say if that fixes it.
    Lately, I am using Evo for my GPS needs... My Verizon GPS is only for the dire emergencies with VizNav
    Is this thread about the Verizon gps only?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Personally haven't had any GPS issues with my Pre on Sprint, but I'm in Denver, and we seem to have very good coverage/service here...maybe I'm just lucky.
    Maybe it's because you're so high up that you're just closer to the satellites?

(sorry .. had to do it)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast