1.    #1  
    I am confused as to how I would use Google Voice.. Would it work like Skype does on my laptop.. Would people be able to call my laptop and leave me messages.. I understand that I could get it to ring to all my phones.. but why would I need another number on my cell phone..
    I use is as the number I give out to people that I would like to manage their access to me. Everyone I meet now gets that number. You might want to check out the forums on google's web site about the multiple uses.
    What would I use Google Voice? ...That doesn't sound right

Google voice allows you to define one number for people to call which can then reach you at any phone. So at work they call this number and they reach your work phone, at home your home. It can filter as well letting only some people reach certain phones at certain times of the day.

The only feature I use is the voicemail as it transcribes to text and send you an email. Otherwise I personally always have my cell phone with me so I don't have to worry about people calling the wrong number.
    Scenario 1: You only want to have one number for people to reach you, so you give our your google voice number. If you are one that changes cellphone providers constantly, want to be able to forward it to your home, cell, work, friend or relative, it will follow you everywhere.

Scenario 2: You have annoying people who need to be able to reach you, but you want to limit their access to you. You can choose what number it rings into and what times.

Scenario 3: You multitask when it comes to relationships, a la Charlie Harper, so you give out your google voice number. When you are on a date you don't want 20 other people calling, so you can turn it off and still be able to be reached by family, regular friends, co workers, with out explaining why you are using a different phone or having to turn it off all together.

Scenario 3a: Playa insurance. You don't have to explain to your significant other why they just found a totally different cell phone they know nothing about hidden in a pair of socks, stuffed in a pair of shoes in a shoebox under the dresser, but when you are alone and free to talk, you can enable the google voice to your cell, at other times people just get your voicemail.

Scenario 4: You want to sell stuff and put a tn you can be reached at on flyers and/or business cards, but again want to limit the times you can be disturbed.

Scenario 5: You move out of town, but want a local number people can call so they don't pay long distance charges. You set up a google voice number and forward it to you new number.

Scenario 6: You normally don't answer calls you don't recognize, and you want to give out a specific number for job applications/leads so that you answer the phone in a professional manner and know to answer the call. Set up a google voice number, and choose to have that number show up on the caller id so you know its coming from your leads.

I'm sure there are other reasons people can think add.
    Last edited by Sukiyaki; 06/22/2010 at 06:28 PM.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  5.    #5  
    Ok I understand.. sounds cool.. Thanks for the responses.. If Tiger would have had google voice would he still have gotten caught I wonder??
    The big thing for me with Google Voice, is that it's your one number and goes with any phone. Seeing how fast the next big thing Android phones are coming out, load up google mail and you still have access to your past SMS/voice mail, etc history. No need to worry about transferring your old phone info to your new one
    I love scenario 3a.
    I set up one for my wife's photography business. It lets her have a special number to give out that rings to her cell phone without having to actually give out her cell phone.

Also, she knows when the call comes in for that number that she can give her business greeting instead of just "hello".
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    How I use Google Voice:

I am a youth soccer coach and President of our Club. My wife and I are also Realtors who work out of our home. My cell phone has been known as our "office" number for a while, and when I became President of the soccer club I had the option of the Club paying for a phone and service. Not wanting to carry around a second (and inferior) phone I just made my Google Voice number the official Club phone number.

This is much better then a second phone actually, for me and the Club. When I know I will not be able to take calls I simply switch the Google Voice number over to another board members phone, or have it ring at multiple to ensure someone answers. It also has the option to have you Google Voice number displayed when some calls that number, or just show the number. I have the GV number shown on my Pre, that way I know automatically it is a soccer call and not business or personal. Being able to go on the website and look through the history is very nice as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Pockets View Post
    Ok I understand.. sounds cool.. Thanks for the responses.. If Tiger would have had google voice would he still have gotten caught I wonder??
    Fools that think with the small brain always get caught. Eventually.
  11.    #11  
    I know hparsons nothing could have saved that guy..
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Pockets View Post
    I am confused as to how I would use Google Voice.. Would it work like Skype does on my laptop.. Would people be able to call my laptop and leave me messages.. I understand that I could get it to ring to all my phones.. but why would I need another number on my cell phone..
    All the details you need.. .

Google Voice Help
    Everybody wants some!..